When to tell parents/ in-laws?

cowlicks

Reaction score
When did you tell your own parents & your in-laws about your pregnancy?
I know not everybody's close to their own parents/ in-laws, and obviously that would affect when you tell them the news, so can you please add a bit of description of how close you are to them?

I will be having my dating scan this weekend, when I'll be 9w. We haven't told anybody in our families yet. I suppose I would've told my mum if she were alive, but well, she isn't, and I'm not close to my dad so I suppose I'll tell him when I tell everybody else (i.e. he won't get getting special previleges). That means I don't have any direct family support from my own side.

Husband kind of wants to wait to announce to his family (i.e. his mum & dad & sister & brother-in-law), but I am more inclined to doing so after the scan if we see the heartbeat and everything seems to be going ok so far. My in-laws treat me very well, and especially since I don't have a mum to lean on, my mother-in-law kind of treats me like her daughter, so I think she'll want to be involved. And also, I read somewhere that if you're going to tell somebody should you have a MC, you should be able to tell them earlier, and I think should anything happen, I wouldn't want to hide it from my in-laws. Just want to hear what you ladies think, and what you did. Thanks!

I told my mom the moment i got my BFP but we are really close. He told his parents a few days later they are not close at all but he wanted to tell someone :/ xx

Last pregnancy we told our parents after 12 weeks because, I was paranoid something bad will happen. This time we are planning on telling after 8weeks.

Our first pregnancy we told our families at 4 weeks but we did IVF and they knew, this time we are waiting until we return from holiday, I'll be 9.5 weeks.

Told my parents at about 5 weeks, his a month later, but only because he wanted to tell them face to face and that was the earliest we could get there. I'd have been happy for them to know any time after 6 weeks.

We told our parents at 9 weeks both times. It was after we had a scan although this time my early scan was 7 weeks but I held off another couple of weeks. I'm really close to my parents and it was weird being around them and not saying anything. DH wanted his parents to know around the same time so we told them even though we aren't as close to them.

I told my parents about an hour after my bfp but we are really close and he told his parents a couple hours after our bfp as he close with them.
We started telling our brothers/sister a week or so after but again we both are close with our families.

I told my mum the day I got a definite :bfp: as we're quite close. We waited for a couple of weeks to tell mil and fil as we wanted to tell them in person as we're just as close to them <3

We're going to wait until after our scan before telling anyone else xx

I told my mom the day I found out, my brother and his fiancee a few days later only because I wanted to tell them in person and that was the only chance I had... His family won't know until Christmas... I'll be about 25 weeks... They live about a 6 hrs drive away and his mom will probably call me every single day to see how I'm doing... I just can't handle that... As sweet as it is she annoys the crap out of me and only calls once every two weeks right now...

We told my Mother and Hubby's in the same day, the after getting the BFP, and that was only as DS was in bed and we wanted to tell them in person. I'm very close to my Mother, and Hubby is very close to his parents. My brother was also told the same day :)

We haven't told our parents yet. We are quite close to both sets, but still not sure when to tell them.
I am thinking about telling my parents around 7 weeks because I will be seeing them in person then. I wont have had a scan yet though which makes me nervous.
Hubby wants to wait until after the scan I think before we tell his parents. We are very close with them, but each time we have had a m/c my MIL has taken it really hard and its hard for me to see her so sad.
My scan wont be until around 10 weeks I think, so that's kind of a long time to wait to tell them. But we will see.

I feel pretty bad because almost all my friends know, but not my parents, and I am just about 9 weeks. I also lost my mother and now have a lovely step-mom that treats me just like a daughter. Her own daughter was recently pregnant and sadly miscarried- it was really hard on my stepmother. I've had some complications with this pregnancy already, so I just want to wait until the next scan to be sure things are looking better before I get their hopes up. (Happy update for my stepsister, though- she was pregnant again a few months later and is due to deliver next month!)

I told my mom the same day I got my BFP but I'm really close with her. We haven't told the inlaws yet not sure when we will tell them. We used to be close to them but had issues with my mil this past year since my son was born. So DH want to have a talk with her before we tell her anything.

Telling everyone after our 12 wk scan. Just so we feel a bit more assured.

My parents live in my house (old, father has Alzheimer's, retired, my mum helps me care for my little ones while I help take care of my father). My mum knows right away when I'm pregnant. She can always tell me a week before I get a BFP, so my OH is the first to be told, and she is the second. I would keep it from her for a while, if I could. She tells everyone she knows, including calling up distant relatives and telling my godmother and all of her friends, even the cashier at the grocery store. She is just really excited, but I don't want everyone else to know until I'm further along.

My mother in law passed away while I was pregnant with my first, but we told her right after telling my parents with my first. My father in law is someone we don't normally speak with, and he reacts really nasty about it, but OH still thinks he should have the respect of knowing before I announce to everybody else. I disagree, but I won't disrespect OH by going against those wishes. I've been asking, "When are you gonna tell your father?" For a month now, and OH is just scared to do it, knowing he will be nasty about it. I'm not planning on telling anyone else outright until after I've found out the sex, this time.

I couldn't help it, I wanted to wait but I'm really close to my mom and see her several times/week. I told her, my dad, sis and bro all yesterday with the whole "its really early" line.

But I feel guilty because I love my in laws but they live across the country and we never see them and just aren't as close to them like I am my parents. So I would rather wait til the safe point to tell them. With my other babies, I told them right when I told my parents and I feel like they are a little judgy, not because they dint want us having babies but about "annoucing" too early (and I have mced before). But we weren't really "announcing", just telling close family. Anyway I think I'm gonna convince my DH to wait til a scan to tell them.

We told my parents and my mil straight away. Days parents are separated and we didn't get to see fil until 9 weeks so told him then.
Everyone else was told at 13 weeks.

Im quite close to my mum but I didnt tell her till I was 8weeks and even then I did it by making her open the letter for my booking appointment lol. My sister found out by accident (she does horsey stuff with one of my bosses at work who I had told due to heavy lifting etc) then I told my brother at about 11weeks because everybody else in the house knew lol.
OHs parents didnt get told till after my scan at 13+3weeks, then as soon as he had rang them I announced it on facebook lol. X

We are being super cautious since it is our first and the whole advance maternal age thing :haha: My best friend's know as does DH's hairdresser (LOL...guess he had to tell someone). We will likely tell them after 13 weeks when we know all is good. My family does not understand how to keep a secret.

I'm sure if my mum was still here she would've already known by now, but after discussion with H, we have decided to announce in late Sep, when I'll be 12 weeks, and it's also a special holiday where I'm from. So we would probably be having a family dinner anyway, and we will announce it then.
I kinda wanted to announce earlier, but H has a point- his parents (retired) would probably be stressing over me, which will not be supportive but stressful for me. They would probably be thinking about schooling and stuff already, or asking me to eat a million things when I can't even stomach 1.
I'm thinking of how to tell them in a more special way... perhaps I would make badges for the close family, saying "Going to be a grandmum/ grandad/ auntie in Mar 2016!" Just something cheap but a bit different from only a verbal announcement, as they're closest to baby. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"