when to tell work?

littlesteph

expecting baby no:3
Reaction score
Just found out i'm pregnant,
I started working again in august 2014 for a delivery team after having my 2nd little boy,
I was working when I was pregnant with my 1st and told them straight away (was working in a different store in a different role) as they knew I had been trying 2 years at the time.
Now I work on a delivery team, luckily same manager as before, but i'm still a little worried to say anything. when I had my interview I had said that I wasn't planning on having another for at least 2 years. now I've fallen unexpectedly. i'm worried that they will find a reason to fire me.
i'm not so worried about my manager or supervisor, its my assistant manger that i'm worried about, I have a feeling she doesn't really like me.
I know i'm going to have to say something because of the role I do, luckily i'm on light duties anyway because of my back. when do I have to tell them?
I was hoping I could wait till after the 12 week scan.

I would wait. I waited with my first. This time I work for family... and couldn't hide my twin bump, so I confessed early. ;)

I'm waiting until I'm out of the first trimester.

I don't know if it's the same where you live, but here you legally don't have to tell them for as long as you want and they aren't legally allowed to ask what any doctor apts are for or anything like that so totally up to you.

I've already told my boss as I'm a teacher so pretty family friendly job and my principal was super supportive. I also tend to push it and so felt guilty missing work. I've felt waaaay better since telling him. I've asked him to keep it confidential until I decide to tell others and he's been very respectful of that. I'll tell others at 12 weeks or after scan close to the time.

I'm lucky to have known my boss for ten years and she has known my mum fir even more. I have told my boss as I have been having to come in late as I had to have emergency scans. She has been brilliant :)

I am hoping to wait till the 12 week mark, luckily appointments shouldn't interfere with work as I work evenings, as long as the nausea doesn't worsen I should be able to hide it that long, been feeling quite sick at work though luckily its not effected how i work

I think it also depends on what you do I guess. I know my SIL was a paramedic when she found out she was pregnant with her twins. One day they needed to carry a man in a wheelchair down the stairs and she said no way. But if you have an office job where you sit most of the day I'm sure you can wait however long you want.

How long have you been employed by them? (non-stop). When you say August 2014 do you mean you returned from mat leave, or started on a new contract? If the latter do you have a probation period? If the latter I would definitely hold off telling them until after your probation. It is very easy to use any excuse to get rid of a staff member during probation. After that it gets much more difficult, so they'd have to put you on performance management and prove they are doing everything to support you in succeeding in your role.

Personally I'm waiting until after 12 weeks when I know everything is fine. x

new contract as I had been gone for over a year, had I returned before the year was up it would have been same contract. probation is 13 weeks, so well over that now.
at the moment I can make excuses not to do heavy lifting as I have back problems at the moment anyway. luckily enough i'm on light duties. so normally no heavy lifting anyway. not really concerned about performance management I've beating all my times this week bar Tuesday where delivery was a big on anyway, so no one beat it. my supervisor has already said he's really pleased with how well I've been doing lately even with my back.

I told my boss the other day cause i work in fast food and its hot and first day i worked since i found out i was haveing short dizxy spells. And since i am a shift manager that most of the time i am the only manager there i wanted her to know just on case. Also since i was worried about liw numbers i wanted her to know in case i miscarried.

Hi. I've just found out I'm pg and plan to tell my boss on Monday. I'll ask her to keep it quiet until after 12 weeks but once I've told her then it means they have to take it into account and put things in place to minimise any risk. Ill feel better that she knows and if I have to have time off then she'll understand.

I'm pondering this one too. I only started my job on 10th jan and I'm feeling pretty guilty. I run baby sensoryclasses so its just me running them in my area so when I stop the classes will have to stop. They are v.physical with lots of lifting the equipment, kneeling, bending etc but I've heard you can continue doing what you were doing before. I do also have lupus though so need to look after myself. Thus far I've been coping but sooo exhausted and did pull a muscle in my back this week :-( I am having anearly scan on the 23rd so if alls well I was thinking I would tell her after the easter break (13th April) I will be about 10 weeks then. I want to give her time to look for and train another leader. I'm guessing I may need to leave earlier than some,.maybe about 30weeks.
Its really awkward too as I know my boss has been struggling to conceive her 2nd and has had a couple of mcs recently :-( tempted to lie and say we weren't trying and it was a surprise. ...

I wouldn't lie and say it's a surprise, from reading ttc and wtt boards that seems to make women in her situation feel worse. I would tell her if I were you, I know I felt better after telling my boss. I felt less guilty looking after myself.

I really wouldn't tell her you weren't trying.
I tried 2 years for my 1st, and seeing all these people say oh we weren't even trying or we fell first month, was really upsetting,
My sister wasn't even trying when she fell pregnant, she came off the pill and fell pregnant that cycle, and there was me had tried near on a year at that point 2 months later my friend says she's pregnant, she had been trying awhile though.
what made matters worse with my sister was that fact that we had a name planned for a girl since before we started trying, she knew what that name was and stole the middle name.

Im dreading telling my employers too, I'm also on my third and have worked at the same place for all 3, I'm also worried they will get rid of me as they need someone on site and I will be off AGAIN. It's making me feel ill telling them!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->