When to tell your other kid(s)

laughingduck

Mother of one daughter
Reaction score
Im just wondering when people plan on telling their other child or children about their pregnacy. I was thinking about telling my daughter at Christmas, but I will only be 10 weeks and wonder if this is too early. I wanted to tell my family then but it would be hard telling them and not my daughter. Ive had two losses this year so am a bit nervous, althought they both happened around 5 weeks so hoping this one is going to make it. Would love to know when people plan to tell, or if you have told already, how did your kid react?

We waited until our 8 week ultrasound and then told them. I could have waited longer but DH wanted to tell them at like week 5 so I talked him into waiting until after the US.

So we just told them last night and DH gave them a picture of the US and asked them to guess what it was and I video taped it lol. It was so sweet and cute. They guessed a baby mouse, raccoon, "me" before we gave them a hint and my oldest said "a baby... In Mommy's belly" and waited for us to say yep and then they both got so excited. My oldest then said "Daddy I think it's a girl" and when he talked he kept referring to the baby as "she" and "her". He said "she won't know how to crawl but we'll teach her".

We're waiting till after 12 weeks. Having had a mmc in the past, I don't want to risk having to explain if anything should go wrong. That also means we're not telling anyone else though so it's going to be an interesting 5 weeks. I'm hoping ms won't get too bad so I can hide it successfully, especially over Christmas...

I hadn’t planned on telling my lg until I'd had the 12 weeks scan. But we made a few unguarded comments and now she keeps asking if there is a baby in my tummy! So I guess she already knows but wont be making a big issue of it yet.

I think it depends a lot on the age/maturity of your kid(s), and the general family dynamic. However, I don't kids should be told before you would be okay with the whole world finding out. Not that you have to necessarily do the big announcement right away, but kids (especially ones that are super excited for a sibling) dont always exercise the best discretion. Even though it's a happy secret, I personally think that is too much responsibility to put on a little one.

my oldest is 4.5yrs and was worried about me being sick so I told him. He heard the heartbeat on the doppler at 10wks too. I had a mmc in january at 11wks and he knew I was pregnant then and I explained sometimes the baby isnt well so they stop growing x

I'm going to tell my dd after my 20 week scan. We had to go through the pain of explaining that there was no longer a baby in my tummy before and it was difficult: granted she took it matter-of-fact as she's so young so it didn't mean anything to her necessarily but it was difficult for us when she would innocently say things at random like "you don't have a baby in your tummy anymore".

Good luck with whatever you decide xxx

My kids are much younger - 3,2,1 and due in February. However, my oldest knew right away when I was pregnant with my third (even though he was only 1!) and fourth (he was 3) because he remembered what I was like early on. My whole family knows right away. My second (who had just turned 2 when we found out I am expecting this time) knew right away with this pregnancy. So, there's no hiding it from my kids. However, I didn't confirm it for them any time until the 12 week ultrasound. I would have kept it a secret longer except I had to bring them to the ultrasound with me, as I don't have reliable childcare until I am in labor!). I would like to keep it a secret until 20 weeks (I didn't tell any friends or extended family until after the anomaly scan this time!). But, my babies all get very excited as soon as a pregnancy is confirmed for them, so I won't tell them until I'm really confident in the pregnancy. :) For you, you might feel confident by 10 weeks along that everything will be fine! Don't hesitate to share your excitement based on what other folks have to say!!! You do you!

Will be telling mine after my 12 weeks scan. Mainly because i dont want to have to tell him therw isnt a baby anymore. Also because hes got a big gob :haha:

Were telling our dd and close family after our 8 week scan if all goes well on Xmas day.

Our close family will support us should anything bad happen and to be honest if we had a loss I know I would need them so much so it makes sense to tell them.

My little one is 3 (going to be 4 in March) and it was just me and him at home when i took the pregnancy test and got my BFP so out of sheer excitement i told him lol :happydance:

However hes still young enough that if anything did go wrong (sure it wont, positive thinking) but if it did he wouldnt really understand anyway x

My son knew as soon as I found out. He's three and I feel he's at that age where I can explain most things to him so if something had happened I would have been as honest as possible.

With my last, my two year old didn't really understand very much,. It was explained to him about 20 weeks, but he had no frame of reference. OH's five year old at the time understood though. We told him about 22 weeks. We were keeping it quiet as I was high risk. In the future in this case however, I'll be waiting until 30+ weeks. I don't get very big.. and I have terrible pregnancies.

I had to tell the LO's because they were very ... rough, when we were play fighting and a couple of times the bigger one caught my tummy. Once it had been explained they were both so gentle though and talked to/kissed/had photos with my tum! Adorable.

I didn't put it online either. x

We have a scan this week, and should everything still be ok by Christmas we are going to tell them a few days before Christmas, we will be just over 9 weeks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->