When will we hear baby's heartbeat?

Rachel89

Reaction score
This is my second baby. With my first I found out early just like now that I was pregnant, and my then midwife scheduled an early ultrasoundand at 7 weeks and that was it.

This time I have an appointment with my midwife around 8 weeks, and the day after an appointment for the ultrasound. Do they test for the heartbeat with a doppler? Or do they only do that after the first ultrasound?

Thank you ladies!

we didnt get to hear our first babies heartbeat till i was at least 10weeks gone that was with a doppler and then first ultrasound was at 12weeks. xxx

My doctor won't try a doppler until after 12 weeks or so. He said it can be difficult to locate and can cause anxiety when he can't locate it.

Thank you guys! i am asking because I am a little anxious. Would rather do the ultrasound first, then we can find out that everything is okay or not in one go, and not be left with uncertainties eating me up.

I got a US at 8 weeks and it helped me relax because I could see the heartbeat and everything look ok plus it confirmed I had ovary cyst so I did worry when I got cramps ☺

I think it depends on the doctor. I was told that they will do an US at my first appointment to look for a heartbeat. They won't do measurements or anything but I will have an US.

I am in England. Last time I am sure it was at my 16 weeks MW app they first tried to listen. I have heard some places near me now refuse to listen before 20 weeks, hoping that since they have booked me in for me 16 weeks app when I am 18 weeks they will listen in then. I got my very first scan at 14+5 last time, it's at 12+5 this time.

With my DD I didn't get to hear her heartbeat on Doppler until 14 weeks. With my DS they found his heartbeat at 13 weeks but he was harder to find... he was hiding under my pelvic bone. We were two seconds away from getting an emergency ultrasound when he finally decided to show himself and his heartbeat rang out at 165 beautiful bpm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->