Where do you holiday in the UK?

wildflower79

Reaction score
I need some inspiration and recommendations for 2018!

We've just got back from centre parcs, which was fab, but we won't be going back till next year.

We usually like to get a holiday cottage, not really into caravans, although we go camping in the tent for short breaks.

We like nice scenery, walks, beaches, parks, stately homes, stuff for the kids to do and we'll also be taking the dogs!

I was looking at Wales, but not really sure where to start??

I used to use canopy and stars all the time as their stuff is amazing (glamping style stuff ish but also other options but reasonably priced and gorgeous cottages and stuff too), but we then had a really really awful experience with them - basically they are a third party compan so if anything goes wrong they do not care and won’t refund you as they say it’s up to the owners, but the owners refused to deal with us saying it’s up to canopy and stars and so we got nowhere. We went to the great farm in Gloucester, and it was truly awful and dangerous and they did absolutely nothing.
Anyway - we’ve been to other places from their website and had no problems and most are just perfect and I still use their website for inspiration but then just book direct with the place as then if something goes wrong you can actually do something (touch wood it hasn’t though).

I live in the Lake District so I'm biased but we quite often go camping around here, I dont think you can get better views anywhere! We have lakes and beaches and the pubs are all dog friendly. And there are loads of cottages to rent.
I also love Wales and have stayed in New Quay which is a pretty little fishing village, we stayed with Haven though. We also really enjoyed Scotland.
I also

There's some interesting looking places on that canopy and stars site. I'll have a better look later when the kids are in bed.

Lora - we love the Lakes and we go quite a bit. I think I've left it a bit late to book a large house (for us and extended family) this year, as I can't seem to find anywhere suitable for school holidays. We might find somewhere smaller for just us though, and we'll definitely be making a camping trip in summer.

I used to go to Yorkshire as a child. Yorkshire has some beautiful areas like Scarborough, and there are lots of caravan places around, or other places to stay.
We went to Wales last year to a place near Aberystwyth and really enjoyed it so much that we booked again to go this year :)

I used to go to Yorkshire as a child. Yorkshire has some beautiful areas like Scarborough, and there are lots of caravan places around, or other places to stay.
We went to Wales last year to a place near Aberystwyth and really enjoyed it so much that we booked again to go this year :)

We actually live on the Yorkshire coast! We'd probably holiday here if we didn't live here 😂 Sometimes we go camping near Whitby, if we don't want to go too far.

I'll have a look at Aberystwyth. I'd really like to go to Wales if the girls will sit in the car for that long!

I was also going to say Yorkshire! We went to Scarborough Whitby etc as children. We also went to South Wales as well and that's beautiful. We went to Cornwall last yr which was very nice but busy

I was also going to say Yorkshire! We went to Scarborough Whitby etc as children. We also went to South Wales as well and that's beautiful. We went to Cornwall last yr which was very nice but busy

I'd love to go to Cornwall, but it's too far for dd2 to travel in the car at the moment. Maybe in a year or 2 when she's a bit older 😀

Last year we went to Haven Seton Sands just outside Edinburgh which was great, October we went to Haven Hafan Y Mor near Snowdonia.

This year we're going back to Scotland but going to Banff and in the summer holidays looking at going to Cardigan Bay :)

Almost always Devon or Cornwall, if we go Devon we go north Devon, croyde etc.
if we go Cornwall we stay in st ives. Debating trying Scotland next year though, but I’m not sure about the drive !

I Love Yorkshire and the lakes but my d's just won't cope with more than 4/5 hours in car. We live in Norfolk ( so flat) so go to peak district-I LOVE it there. Also Shropshire ( i went there every year of my childhood) also went to day trips to Wales from there.

We hire a cottage where ever we go.

We are goung to Derbyshire for 3 night April -want to do gulivrs Kingdom and Abraham height.

Suffolk for 5 nights in July

Skegness ( butlins) in Oct for 4 nights

I love hols in this country. I went to Edinburgh 2 years ago lovely place.

Xxxx

We’re going to York. My husband took our son last year (he’s from Yorkshire and really wanted to take Thomas to the railway museum). We love exploring and it sounds like a wonderful city I can’t wait to go. Thomas loved it, mainly the travelodge they stayed in and the buses :haha:

We love the Isle of Wight! Feels like a proper holiday as you go on the ferry etc and it's so quaint and sweet, lovely beaches x

Topsy - I was thinking of north Norfolk, but wasn't really sure what it was like, what there was to do etc. as I've never been! Peak District and Shropshire I've done pre-kids and liked, so am looking in these areas.

Sequeena - we like York. We're not far away, so have lots of day trips here. The railway museum is fab!

Bonnie - I'd like to visit the Isle of White, and Channel Islands, but it'll have to wait till dd2 is a bit older as they're quite a trek for us atm.

I've managed to book a large house in western lakes for us and family. Also camping on Windermere. Was supposed to be looking for somewhere different, but we always fall back on the Lakes! Got some more camping trips to book yet though, so we'll see.

I would miss Isle of Wight. It's a dump?!

We love Scotland. It's wonderful for children in the highlands.

Devon is good. Loads to do!

Topsy - I was thinking of north Norfolk, but wasn't really sure what it was like, what there was to do etc. as I've never been! Peak District and Shropshire I've done pre-kids and liked, so am looking in these areas.

Sequeena - we like York. We're not far away, so have lots of day trips here. The railway museum is fab!

Bonnie - I'd like to visit the Isle of White, and Channel Islands, but it'll have to wait till dd2 is a bit older as they're quite a trek for us atm.

I've managed to book a large house in western lakes for us and family. Also camping on Windermere. Was supposed to be looking for somewhere different, but we always fall back on the Lakes! Got some more camping trips to book yet though, so we'll see.

Glad you found somewhere. We camped at Pooley Bridge last year which was lovely x

I live in the Lake District so I'm biased but we quite often go camping around here, I dont think you can get better views anywhere! We have lakes and beaches and the pubs are all dog friendly. And there are loads of cottages to rent.
I also love Wales and have stayed in New Quay which is a pretty little fishing village, we stayed with Haven though. We also really enjoyed Scotland.
I also

Is there anything to do in the winter in the lakes? I've found a good holiday for February but there's no activities on site. I just want to get away but I don't want the kids to be bored!!

I also

Is there anything to do in the winter in the lakes? I've found a good holiday for February but there's no activities on site. I just want to get away but I don't want the kids to be bored!!

Where abouts were you looking? We are out in the Lakes all the time even through Winter, it does rain alot but nothing a pair of wellies and rain coat doesn't solve!
We normally go walking around the Lakes and tarns- you can do a full circuit of some, and they're flat so easy on little legs, climb mountains, there's a couple of brilliant forests with Go Ape and Grufallo trails, you can hire canoes or boats to go out on the Lakes or go on a Ferry, there is the World of Beatrix Potter, an Aquarium, a few national trust castles. In South Cumbria there's a Zoo. And the more tourist areas there's obviously shops, cafes, pubs, soft play areas, ice cream, you shops etc.

I also

Where abouts were you looking? We are out in the Lakes all the time even through Winter, it does rain alot but nothing a pair of wellies and rain coat doesn't solve!
We normally go walking around the Lakes and tarns- you can do a full circuit of some, and they're flat so easy on little legs, climb mountains, there's a couple of brilliant forests with Go Ape and Grufallo trails, you can hire canoes or boats to go out on the Lakes or go on a Ferry, there is the World of Beatrix Potter, an Aquarium, a few national trust castles. In South Cumbria there's a Zoo. And the more tourist areas there's obviously shops, cafes, pubs, soft play areas, ice cream, you shops etc.

It's greystoke, near Keswick I think?

So you'd be really close to Whinlatter Forest which is lovely, not too far from Rydal Caves- ive never been but they look worth a visit, and Keswick itself is a lovely town with nice pubs. There's a fab massive garden centre with a big toy section in Ambleside which is a short drive away, as is Bowness. Theres also the Rheghed Centre up that way for kids. Hope this helps a bit! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->