Where does your baby sit in the car?

ginab

Mummy to Maggie Mae
Reaction score
Ive been told the middle back seat is the safest place but Maggies new car seat wont fit there. Where do you put yours? considering buying a car seat that will fit on a two point seat belt.

Just interested to know Thanks x

my LO sits behind me in my car mainly because it is a small hatchback (vw polo size) and I am short so can have the seat forwards to accomodate the seat.
if OH is my passenger he needs the leg room so has to put seat right back (he wont drive my car as he says it is too cramped).
in his Navara we put LO in the middle as it has a proper width middle seat, my car has the full belt but very narrow.

My son sits behind the passenger seat. I hadnt heard the middle is safest. Is that because there is no seat in front?? x

I only have a 2 seater car, so he sits in the front passanger seat next to me.

My son sits behind the passenger seat. I hadnt heard the middle is safest. Is that because there is no seat in front?? x

I am guessing it is something to do with impact from the sides - ie : if you were pulling out of a junction and someone hit you in the side? I don't know, but yes, I was also told middle is the best but without Isofix clunk and click must be quite awkward in a lot of cars.

I think so ibe just been reading up on it and thats whhere they say its the safest... will read more

Luke goes in the passenger front seat. His heavy lump of a carseat wont fit through the front door to the back seat, and the isofix points are only in the front anyhow. I prefer him being there as i can see him and he can see me. In my dh's car, he has to go in the back as the airbags wont disable, and if i sit in the front, i constantly worry! x

I think so ibe just been reading up on it and thats whhere they say its the safest... will read more

Yes, it's because of side impacts. I read next safest is behind the driver. Obviously you have little control as to where your car gets hit in an accident, so that's based on statistics and the likely hood of an impact on that side of the car.
Gabriel is behind my seat because it's much easier to get him in and out of the car there than in the middle. It's a risk I'm willing to take. I would never, ever put his carseat in the front though. Too risky for my comfort.

Most car seats should have a compatibility list which will actually tell you which seats in the car it's ok to place the car seat in. I was just looking at a few yesterday while looking at seats and very few of them allowed it to go in the middle back seat.

We don't have a car right now but when we get one she will be sitting in one of the back side seats. It will likely go behind the passenger seat because we're getting a ERF seat and it will be big so we might have to move the seat forward and OH is tall.

Behind drivers seat here as well, as I'd heard it was next safest after middle (and the seat won't fit the middle!).

I've got a mirror set up so I can see him when I'm driving and keep an eye.

behind the drivers seat in my car and behind the passenger seat in OH's car, mainly because my legs are shorter than OH's so we all fit in perfectly this way.

Ours is behind the passenger seat. That's mainly because even with it being a compact ERF seat, I wouldn't be able to have my seat in a comfortable position to drive with her behind me. I also took into account the fact that if I'm parallel parking, 9 times out of 10 it'll be with the passenger side next to the pavement. I'd much rather get her out of the car on the pavement side than be opening the car door into traffic.

If I could safely deactivate my car's airbags, I'd have her in the front sometimes too though. There is no evidence at all that is is less safe than being in the back. In fact the information coming out of countries like Sweden (which has an incredible car safety record) is that it is actually safer for them to be RF in the front, as long as airbags are off.

Rear facing in the back behind the passenger seat
xx

using a 3 point seatbelt will always be safer than a lap belt, regardless of positioning in the car

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->