where is your baby going to sleep?

sophiecouldwe

Reaction score
the other night OH and i were at antinatal classes and the discussion of where baby sleeps came up. we had planned to have him in our room in the moses basket until he gets too big and then he would go into his cot in his nursery. but the midwife was really shocked and almost disgusted that we had thought this and said "how could you possibly leave a helpless baby in a room all night just because hes got a bit too big for his moses basket" i felt awful then and hadnt really thought about it like that. she said she had her children with her until they were 1years old and the guidelines are at least 6 months. this midwife is very oppinionated and im not sure if this was just another one of her outburst or if ive been thinking wrong about where the baby will sleep. do we need to make room for the cot in our bedroom?

what are you planning on doing once LO is here? xxx

That sounds like a personal opinion on her part.

One thing I've noticed about people, everyone has their own "sensibilities" and if you dare suggest anything that goes against those "sensibilities" or their idea of right or wrong, they'll shank you over it and tear you down. This applies to all aspects of their life, not just child-rearing.

After all, only they can be right. :dohh:

Our baby is going in a crib in our room as we live in a one bedroom flat at the mo and wont be able to move until he is born so he wont have his own room to go into yet anyways
We were going to buy him a moses basket but realised he would prob grow out of it qucikly, so we have got a crib so he will be in it for longer

i put emily straight into her own room
in her own crib ... from birth ...

occasinally ill have her in the bedroom
if she's ill ... but normally she's in her
own room ... and she sleeps prefectly ...

our rooms are opposit
so im always next door
and we've got monitors on all the time!

tbh i'll go tell the mw where to stick it
your baby ... your way .. simple.
i listen more to those who have babies
and know what they're on about more
than the mws ....

:hugs:

xx​

She shouldn't have acted discusted with you, that's so unprofessional!!!

Our baby is going to sleep in our room (because we will still have 4 months in our 1 bedroom apartment!). As soon as we move, the baby is going in his own room!!!! We are skipping the moses basket, becuase we won't have room. Our little one is going straight to the crib (I think that's cot for some of you).

Your baby won't be 'helpless' in his own room! Everyone has their own choices on where their baby will sleep, and I don't think any choice is a wrong choice. The only thing is... I'm really going to try not to have the baby sleep in our bed too much, because my brother in law did that, and now his baby won't sleep on his own.

Don't worry honey, whatever you choose will be okay! I wish we had a room for our baby right away!!

xx

Oh ignore that midwife if she's that opionnated! you will do what feels right.

I am planning on having the baby with us in a moses basket for the first six months but then if it outgrows it then it will go in the nursery which is right next door to us anyway.
It just means i have to get out of bed physically for nightime feeds...

I kept my son in our room till he was 6 months and i plan on doing the same this time round xx

TBH i think it's a personal choice. I was planning on having LO in our room till about 4-6 months old...depends how everything goes....might be sooner might be later.

My friend said she put her LO in his own room at approx 2 months old when he outgrew the moses basket and he's fine.

We get so many do's/don't/recommendations that change so often it can blow your brains.....do what you feel is best hun.....that's what i'm going to do and i've already decided i'm not taking any crap off any MW (mine are ok so far) or Health visitor...now or never. Cos i know i'll get the 'look' once i say i'm bottlefeeding (my MW has been ok about this to be fair)...and when i don't make each bottle up fresh at the time. But it's our baby...and our choice.

xx

I am planning on keeping him in my room to at least 6 months will be longer if he can stay in his crib as there is just no room for a cot in my room. Thats why i bought a crib as they do take them upto 6mth but moses basket is meant to be upto 3mths but know plently of people where their babies have stayed longer in moses basket

I am in no rush to get him out of my room, but also for ease of feeding as I am breast feeding. I could not be bother running across hall in the night everytime he wants a feed

x x x

Same here - up to 6 months in a moses basket in our room. I hadn't really thought what would happen if she gets too big before that.

Im planning on having her in with us until she out grows her moses basket. Their is no way I can fit the cot in our room so i dont really have much choice but i dont see why it is such a problem for thm to be in their own room as long as they are close and you have monitors on. I think its more for parents than the baby anyway in case they are worried. It would save having to get up and go and check on baby all the time.

I was planning on doing exactly the same as you hun!

Fair enough to tell you what she did so you have other options that you may not of thought of but it's certainly not fair to make you feel bad! That's not why they're there!

I wouldn't have enough room in our bedroom to fit the cotbed in anyway!!! xxxx

That's ridiculous, I only plan on having her in with us for like a month. I don't see how it taking me an additional five seconds to get to her room will make a difference.

Im planning on doing the same, til he gets to big for his moses basket....

Is there anything to suggest why a baby wouldnt be perfectly happy in there own room? He'd still be helpless in the same room as you! Its not as if your not gonna check on him or have a monitor...

My mum put me in my own room straight away and im ok!

Thanks for posting this, I have been wondering about this as well. We plan to have the baby in our room in a cot (we have quite a big bedroom). At 4 - 6 months move the cot into his room, which is right next door. I reckon it will be easier to have him in our room in the beginning in terms of night feeds and for my own peace of mind . But like Dukechick said - I don't want to face problems in getting him adjusted to sleeping on his own either....
My sister plans to have her baby in his/ her own room straight off. Also, something I have no problem with.

Personal choice - I can't really see that either is "good or "bad", just what suits your situation - both in terms of space and mindset....

xx

There are so many opinions on this and I also got it from all sides - midwife, health carer, friends, mum etc etc...

The most important thing is to be happy with your decision ;)

At first we decided to put LO in their own room from the beginning (as its just across the hall from our bedroom).... however we thought about it a bit more and are happier having LO in a moses basket in our room for the first few months.

We have not decided when LO will go in their own room, but I think this will be a decision we make when LO is here and see how they are doing.

Everyone will have their own opinions but just stick to what you want to do, your LO's mum ;)

xxx

That's ridiculous, I only plan on having her in with us for like a month. I don't see how it taking me an additional five seconds to get to her room will make a difference.

this is what i was gonna do. i dont see the need to have baby so close by all the time. we have a baby monitor and im a light sleeper as it is so i dont see a problem with him being in a diff room. it'll also not disturb OH as much when he has to get up for the early shift at work.

Austin is going to be in our room in a bassinet for a few months, but then off to his own room. He'd be in his own from the start, but Charlotte's room is between his and ours and I don't want her waking up from his crying. Just be easier if he's in our room for a bit

I intend to have baby in his own room from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->