Which brand?

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
I'm planning on FF from the start and have started to look at the different brands so I can buy a starter kit for my hospital bag and buy our first tin for the cupboard. My sister FF her daughter using SMA Comfort (no issues) and when I asked her why she just said cos the brand has been around for ages. They all seem comparable in price and seem to "do" the same kind of thing ie. help with colic, easy to digest etc. I'm just curious as to what brand you use and why?

Unless you have specific medical needs, like a hypoallergenic one or something to deal with reflux, they really are all the same, despite their marketing attempts to convince you otherwise. Some will suit one baby better than others, but there is no way to know for sure what that will be until you try. I would pick one that you can afford (there is slight variation in price between brands) and that you can easily buy where you normally do your weekly shop and just see how it goes.

We used Cow & Gate. It's exactly the same as Aptamil (same ingredients and same manufacturer), but it's cheaper as it's branded slightly differently. We tried SMA when my daughter was in hospital under a great deal of duress as I was breastfeeding and really wanted BF support, but the midwives were really negative and just wanted us to FF. So that's what we started on and it was just such an awful experience (I mean dealing with the stress of the midwives trying to push us not to BF) that I just couldn't actually use SMA. It's perfectly fine, though can be more constipating than other brands, but I just hated it because I had such a negative experience with it. We also tried Hipp Organic, which is considerably more expensive than the others, because it's supposed to be more 'gentle' but it gave my daughter horrible reflux, projectile vomiting after every feed and screaming in pain. So we tried Cow & Gate and that was great, no more reflux, and no other issues, so that's what we used. Really just pick something and try it. You'll know soon enough if it works for you.

We chose Bebevita as it was the cheapest one at our local market. Our thought process was to try the least expensive first, and only if that didn't work well, to go on and try one of the more expensive brands.

It worked fine. Then around the 4th or 5th week, the midwife who came to visit to look at my c-sec scar and to weigh my son, made a casual suggestion that we try Bebevita's (more expensive) bio version. For no other reason than it being bio. We did, and our son immediately became sick. We returned to the cheap, normal Bebevita, and he was fine again. We continued with that without any issue until he turned one and started drinking real milk.

So yeah, more expensive, bio, etc isn't always better for every baby. And certainly not necessary.

We started with aptimil as that is what the hospital gave to top up until my milk came in. We changed to SMA as my husband works for the company that makes it. They all aeen the same to me! We switched with no impact on her at all x

I figured that there wasn't much of a difference between any of them but I just wanted to hear your preferences/reasons. Thanks!

We used cow and gate to begin with but it made him really constipated and just generally uncomfortable. The hv suggested we switch to sma. C&g is fish based where the sma is mushroom based. Sma still made him constipated but it was so much better. We ended up on sma comfort which has suited him amazingly. The sma has given him green poop but the hv did warn us that it was common on the sma 👍

We just bought what she liked most. I wanted to breastfeed but it didn't work out from the get go so they let me grab whatever milk I wanted. Cow and gate was her favourite so that's what we bought

Every baby is different

My DS1 had cow and gate and never had any problems

My daughter was sick from SMA so we switched to aptamil and she had no problems with that

My DS2 was on SMA but was being sick on it so we switched last night to aptamil and so far no problems again

It's trial and error really

I use hipp organic it's same price as cow and gate but meant to be more gentle so we tried that. It seems to be fine for my son and he's thriving. In all honesty I don't think there is much difference between them x

DS was on SMA but was a very sicky baby which put me of the brand, not that I can say for sure it was sma that made him sicky but I just thought I wouldn't use it again.

DD has been on aptamil and we've had no issues, apart from her reluctance to feed every now and again but I don't think she has a big appetite!

I tried DD on a few different ones. First was enfamil A+ and she was okay with it but very colicky in the evenings. Then we tried nestle Good Start and that was n absolute NO. Then similac sensitive and that was also an immediate NO. Then enfamil A+ Gentlease, which has been working perfectly. She's still colicky in the evenings but not as bad as with the regular enfamil A+. She does sometimes drink the regular A+ read feed bottles and she lovessss them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->