Which cloth diapers are your favorite?

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by ShanesMama, Oct 13, 2013.

1. ShanesMama

ShanesMama Well-Known Member

I hope I'm posting this to the right section...
    I am in my first trimester and am strongly considering cloth diapering. I want to start my "stash" during my second tri so I can have a good set by the time baby is here.
    Here is what I am thinking... I am trying to go cheap(ish)... I cannot justify spending $30/diaper. I love this idea of prefolds/inserts with just plain covers. I dont know all the lingo, but I think that's an All In 2? Either way I like the idea of being able to reuse the cover a couple times... seems like it would save money and laundry.
    What are your opinions on this style? (Or your favorite?) And good brands that aren't too expensive & where to find them.
    Thanks ladies!

2. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

Prefolds with covers are just called prefolds or flats (flats can also include terry nappies or birdseye flats but in the US it's mostly prefolds). If you get a cover with 'flaps' to hold the prefold in place instead of using a snappi, it's generally considered a hybrid nappy (e.g. Flips are hybrids, the organic ones are a prefold). An all-in-two has an insert which snaps/poppers into the cover; usually you don't reuse the cover for them.

I'm not a huge fan of prefolds if you plan to fold them in three and just lay them in a cover. They're much better if you use a snappi and fold them round the baby. I still prefer fitteds to them but that's just personal preference. If you're after cheap, they are a good option.

I've tried maybe 5 or 6 different prefolds and honestly when it comes to cotton ones I don't see much difference between them all... but in the UK I don't think we generally get the cheaper ones. I do really like the bamboo Blueberry ones and also the hemp Thirsties ones. They are both more absorbent than cotton but take longer to dry, so could be a good option when you need extra absorbency e.g. car journeys, overnight if your LO isn't a heavy wetter etc.

Covers wise, I'd get a good range to try out because not every cover will suit every baby's shape so you're best to hedge your bets at first!

3. ShanesMama

Awesome, thanks for the info. Quick question... snappies are the little Y shaped things that clip the prefold together right?

4. Rachel_C

Yep those are the ones, also called nappy nippas over this side of the pond :) There are some alternatives based on the same idea too, Boingos are one brand.

5. ShanesMama

Thanks so much! & love nappy nippas! Haha. I've been doing LOTS of research this afternoon & really think I would like Best Bottoms all in 2, trying to find a similar brand that have the snap in inserts but cost less. Flip seems good, but no snaps :( I'm sure Ill end up getting a few different types &seeing what works best with baby, but I think the convenience &quality of best bottoms (&the fact the liner won't move) is brilliant. I never knew the world of cloth diapers was so complicated!

6. Rachel_C

It's definitely worth trying different types and brands. I like both Best Bottoms and Flips. I don't find Flip inserts move around, the flaps do a good job of holding them in place and it does keep the cost down. You can use any prefold inside a Flip cover so that can reduce the cost as their organic cotton inserts can be expensive new if compared to preloved prefolds.

Bear in mind that for a newborn or young baby with that lovely liquid poo, systems with an insert you can change might not actually work out so well because the poo can easily get onto the cover so you need to change the whole thing. If you have Flips or similar with prefolds, you can use the prefold with a nippa at first to improve containment.

7. MamaPerez

MamaPerez Valentina's Mama

I love The Little Bee Co for both their mission and their product. Their mission: They outsource their diaper production to countries where employment is needed so they're providing hundreds of jobs, and for every diaper purchased, they donate a diaper just like the one you purchased to an orphan in need and do diaper drops.

Their product: They offer three types of fibers for their diapers. I've only tried 2/3 but I love the bamboo- it's so soft and absorbent. Their one-size is great because their snaps don't have to line up vertically and so I get a really great fit on my daughter. Their elastic hasn't been leaving any marks on her either. Oh! And if you have a tummy sleeper, these are especially great- they have elastic in the front so I haven't had a leak on her from the front in a long while. They offer packages for purchase.

8. ShanesMama

Aw that's awesome! I'm gonna go check them out right now :) I'm having so much fun looking around for diapers... I see why everyone says cloth diapering is so addicting

9. fides

fides Well-Known Member

Flips & BumGenius

check out diaperswappers.com if you're okay with buying used - Flips, or another similar, are a super cheap option

10. misspriss

misspriss Well-Known Member

My personal favorite that I found to be reasonably cheap is flats and wool covers. You can use regular PUL covers with flats as well.

Flats are cheap, one size fits all, birth - potty training, and they wash really well. Prefolds are about the same price-wise, maybe a little more, but you have to size up when your child grows. They are also harder (although not as hard as microfiber) to get clean, because the layers are sewn together. They take longer to dry as well.

Wool lasts, and you rarely have to wash it (just spot wash poops). I wash mine like once a month. I have 4, but you could easily get by with 2 if you had a backup PUL cover in case they were both drying. But even PUL covers will last 3-6 changes before you have to wash.

If you wash your PUL covers with your cotton flats/prefolds you have to be more careful, one reason I like the wool. I can wash my flats on hot, dry them on high, and not worry about damaging elastic or snaps or waterproofing!

11. Here_we_go

Here_we_go Mother of 2

My daughter can't handle exposed PUL so I'm unable to use a cover with a prefold/insert. I like how easy it is to change the elastic in BG 4.0's and how trim fitting they are but there's still the issue of the PUL against her lower belly. :( I also found DD has to have a stay-dry liner so most of the natural prefolds, fitted diapers just won't work.

I have to say my favorite are a WAHM's (Twinkle Toes diapers) and Coquí Baby HERO Diaper. I have a chunky lil girl and they fit her the best with room to spare and don't leave any red marks.

12. katerdid

katerdid Momma

There's also Green Mountain Diaper's prefolds and fitteds. I am going with the fitteds with snaps as the hubby can't/doesn't try to put on the prefolds right. The newborn ones are only $5.50 so it's pretty reasonable! More so than those pretty goodmama fitteds which run for like, $20-60 no thank you lol.

13. Stellae

Stellae Well-Known Member

That's a really good choice for your firstt imr cloth diapering, it limits laundry and most insert/prefold + cover systems are pretty user friendly!

Flip diapers from Cotton Babies are supposed to be great. I really like the Econobum covers they sell (only 11.95 ea, sadly up from 8.95), though the prefolds that usually come with them are a bit too thick for my taste so I pair them with prefolds + snappis. I still love my BumGenius 4.0s the best though.

Know if you do a cover + insert system some babies have trouble with the PUL (plastic) touching their skin (plus think how uncomfortable it would bet to have wet plastic against you all day!)

Also, microfiber inserts can't be directly against a baby's skin, there has to be a stay-dry layer or something else between the insert and baby. Some cheap brands you can get on Ebay don't mention this.

And even though velcro closures are sooooo handy and create a better fit, know you could have to have it replaced, whereas snaps hold up much better.

14. Pink Petals

Pink Petals Well-Known Member

Swaddlebees Simplex work for us! Although they are now called Blueberry Simplex.

Super easy to use and wash.

They are an all in one diaper, making them as easy o use as disposables. But unlike other all in ones, they dry fast, because an attached insert agitates itself out in the wash. The interior is all cotton, so natural and not prone to stinkies. And the prints are super cute!

15. LittlePants

LittlePants Well-Known Member

I too like terry squares and wool. 50cm bamboo terry squares are awsome for the first few months, as you always get a really neat fit, are trim, and they wash and dry much better than fitted nappies or even prefolds. Even when the 50cm square is outgrown and isn't big enough to use as a nappy any more, you can use them as inserts and boosters, as well of loads of other uses, so they're never really outgrown either. Good budget option IMO

16. Bmama

Bmama Mommy & expecting #2!

I sooo wanted to love prefolds, and during my pregnancy I built up a huge stash of them with covers, but my little guy turned out to be a heavy wetter and he won't be dry or happy for longer than an hour. I now use my prefolds for burp cloths and rely on a combo of bum genius AIOs and pockets, which is working well for us! Best advice I got is to buy a little of every type of cloth diaper until you can see what kind work best with your LO.

17. charlie15

charlie15 Well-Known Member

I love the little lamb pockets, they are just right for my daughters shape, long and slim and each size really lasts for ages. I love the little lamb bamboo inserts too and with the pockets it's easy to add more inserts. I agree though but a few of lots and see how you get on. I do like the fuzzy bunz to a point but I can't see how my daughter will fit them in a year as she's is tall and they are quite short!

18. Bmama

Bmama Mommy & expecting #2!

I also forgot to mention I LOVE the flip diaper system!!