Which contraception to use after birth???

katnkayla

Reaction score
Ok so I've previously fell pregnant on the pill and depo jabs.... Just look at me and I'm pregnant or so I thought not the case!!!but after Ttc for 2 years I am currently 35 weeks pregnant with my longed for baby boy :happydance: but now I'm planning ahead I have terrible pregnancys (health problems) and am overjoyed to be having little man but don't want to fall pregnant again do I risk the injection even though its failed me before seen as it took 2 year with no protection or can anyone recommend an alternative to try??!!

If you never ever want to get pregnant again you could always get sterilized (or your partner can). There is also the IUD and depending on which one you get it can last 5 years or up to 10 years. Apparently they are as effective as the sterilization but they arn't permanent.

You can go to this website and take the little quiz, it will give you the best options for your situation based on your answers. https://www.plannedparenthood.org/all-access/my-method-26542.htm

Thanks.... I mean never say never (I swore no more after dd 5 years ago) and then ttc took over my life made me a bit crazy, I've heard iuds can give you permanent bleeding well one friend had one and it did for her so just asking about for people's experience as practically everyone I know is on injection

It depends which IUD you get. Ive heard with the copper IUD it can make periods a lot heavier and more bleeding. With the Mirena you get spotting for like the first 6 or so months, but everyone ive talked to and read comments about basically said if you can get through 6 months of random, spotting it almost goes away entirely after that and most ladies dont even get periods. So i think for most girls its a matter of sticking with it those first few months to see the bleeding issue get resolved. The ones that i have noticed that talk a lot about that seem to the ones that give it up before that point.

But you should only do what you are comfortable with. The injection could be good since you dont have to remember to take it or anything, but if you fell pregnant whilist on that, i would probably not risk it again. ...what about the implant? It goes in your arm and is good for three years.

Yeah it was the mirena my friend had and she had hers out after 5. I'm leaning more that way tbh 6 month is nothing in the grand scheme of things I have a high tolerance of local anaesthetic so for the implant my preferred option I have to wait until my next GA which is nov so would mean 3 months "risking" it. Will defo investigate further on the iuds :) if not it maybe a case of the ultimate passion killers (condoms) for a little while

Little, "ultimate passion killer" :haha: isn't that the truth! lol

Good thread, I've been thinking about this myself. I'd like to go back on my low dose pill, but I've read it can effect breast feeding. I definately don't want to do the shot because years ago I used it and it put 30lbs on me! And, i'mafaid of IUDs. I know several women that have had them come out and cause damage to their uterus. I hope my doc says he can give me a pill that won't bother my milk production.

Good thread, I've been thinking about this myself. I'd like to go back on my low dose pill, but I've read it can effect breast feeding. I definately don't want to do the shot because years ago I used it and it put 30lbs on me! And, i'mafaid of IUDs. I know several women that have had them come out and cause damage to their uterus. I hope my doc says he can give me a pill that won't bother my milk production.

This is a great article for BFing and BC:
https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/birthcontrol/

The mini pill could be a good option but you really do have to take it religiously, and its not as effective as other types, but usually does the trick:
(specifically check out the chart)

Thinking on trying the implant again I bled for months on end last time I got it in. But I really don't fancy the coil and I'm useless with the pill x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->