White or brown bread???

dollych

Reaction score
My Lo is 7 months old today and i want to start giving him toast as finger foods. What is the best bread to give them, white or brown?. Obviously brown is the healthiest and that is what i eat but what do they recommend for babies??. Thanks.

I would say brown as it's healthier. Why give refined white flour if you don't have to? Just watch out for breads full of seeds and stuff as they could be choking hazards if your baby isn'y used to stuff like that.

Brown. I don't buy white bread. (You can give either, but brown is healthier)

I will give him brown when he has it, we rarely buy white bread anyway, (though we do have those 50/50 kingsmill barms!)

brown is better, but definitely avoid the bread with grain in case LO chokes.

I gave mine brown as we don't eat white bread, but she had issues digesting it (caused tummy pain and bad gas). I've tried her on white flour and she's fine. :?
My HV said that sometimes the extra fiber in the brown bread gives them troubles until they are a bit older.

i give brown, or 50/50 or best of both if we have no brown in.

I usually give whatever we have at the time. I don't eat bread but my other half does, sometimes he buys white and other times brown. I prefer to give brown if I can.

You also need to be aware of the fact that anything with high fibre will fill baby up and mean that they won't eat anything else which has good nutrition. Also, the high fibre content would stop any nutrients from other foods from being absorbed properly.

Brown bread is great for older kids and adults but as a food for baby, I'd stick to white.

I don't think seeds in bread are big enough to be choking hazards but I wouldn't give those seeded breads to Ruby any more as they disagreed with her.

OH and I are in a bit of a phase of preferring white bread but we always buy good quality from a bakery or I make it.

I don't think it matters massively but Nikki is right about fibre being filling so if LO is a smaller eater in general I would not give brown bread.

You also need to be aware of the fact that anything with high fiber will fill baby up and mean that they won't eat anything else which has good nutrition. Also, the high fiber content would stop any nutrients from other foods from being absorbed properly.

Brown bread is great for older kids and adults but as a food for baby, I'd stick to white.

I would hope that bread is only a small portion of the babies diet, in which case I'd prefer to opt for a whole grain bread (also of note, brown bread isn't necessarily whole grain or even healthier than white depending on what you're buying so read the labels https://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/brown-bread-facts-1497.html)
It's all about serving sizes.
Fiber does not prevent nutrients from being absorbed. It's that you shouldn't be filling a baby up on bread that doesn't have all the nutrients a baby needs, so that they aren't getting the nutrients in their diet.
Almost everything we eat contains fiber (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-97294/How-fibre-favourite-foods-contain.html)

Charlie always has brown bread, but he only gets toast or bread with soup every other day or the odd wholemeal pitta :)

I wouldn't of thought it would make a big difference? I don't plan on giving him loads of bread everyday, maybe at breakfast or lunch? I'm sure that being in mind he would get plenty of other things at various times of the day. Wholegrain is generally healthier, white grains just raise your blood sugar following a big dip.

I switched my son about a year ago to 100% whole wheat bread without high fructose corn syrup or coloring added. When DD gets there I will attempt to follow the food guide - grain servings, veggies - I think bread still counts in my eat food mostly plants idea.

we use brown but only because we eat it anyway.
white not only is a little less healthy but I find it goes rather gloopy and stodgy which they can struggle with after sucking for a while.

Yep, you're right about the absorbtion thing. I was getting myself confused. OOPS!! Have also correctly my typo lol!

I use white. Advice I've read says not to give too much wholemeal produce as it can be hard for them to digest and fill them up too much. I intend to switch to wholemeal when he is a little older, probably about two. He's also a veggie baby and eats a lot of bulky, fibrous foods already (beans, lentils etc) so I don't want him to be bunged up or too full to eat other stuff.

i give the brown bread with the seeds in it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->