White or brown bread???

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by dollych, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dollych

dollych Well-Known Member

My Lo is 7 months old today and i want to start giving him toast as finger foods. What is the best bread to give them, white or brown?. Obviously brown is the healthiest and that is what i eat but what do they recommend for babies??. Thanks.

2. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

I would say brown as it's healthier. Why give refined white flour if you don't have to? Just watch out for breads full of seeds and stuff as they could be choking hazards if your baby isn'y used to stuff like that.

3. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

Brown. I don't buy white bread. (You can give either, but brown is healthier)

4. Sarah10

Sarah10 Guest

I will give him brown when he has it, we rarely buy white bread anyway, (though we do have those 50/50 kingsmill barms!)

5. Lara310809

Lara310809 Mum of 3 girls

brown is better, but definitely avoid the bread with grain in case LO chokes.

6. bky

bky :(

I gave mine brown as we don't eat white bread, but she had issues digesting it (caused tummy pain and bad gas). I've tried her on white flour and she's fine. :?
    My HV said that sometimes the extra fiber in the brown bread gives them troubles until they are a bit older.

7. 08marchbean

08marchbean Well-Known Member

i give brown, or 50/50 or best of both if we have no brown in.

8. scq09

scq09 Well-Known Member

I usually give whatever we have at the time. I don't eat bread but my other half does, sometimes he buys white and other times brown. I prefer to give brown if I can.

9. nikkiangel83

nikkiangel83 Mum to a little girl

You also need to be aware of the fact that anything with high fibre will fill baby up and mean that they won't eat anything else which has good nutrition. Also, the high fibre content would stop any nutrients from other foods from being absorbed properly.

Brown bread is great for older kids and adults but as a food for baby, I'd stick to white.

10. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

I don't think seeds in bread are big enough to be choking hazards but I wouldn't give those seeded breads to Ruby any more as they disagreed with her.

OH and I are in a bit of a phase of preferring white bread but we always buy good quality from a bakery or I make it.

I don't think it matters massively but Nikki is right about fibre being filling so if LO is a smaller eater in general I would not give brown bread.

11. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I would hope that bread is only a small portion of the babies diet, in which case I'd prefer to opt for a whole grain bread (also of note, brown bread isn't necessarily whole grain or even healthier than white depending on what you're buying so read the labels https://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/brown-bread-facts-1497.html)
    It's all about serving sizes.
    Fiber does not prevent nutrients from being absorbed. It's that you shouldn't be filling a baby up on bread that doesn't have all the nutrients a baby needs, so that they aren't getting the nutrients in their diet.
    Almost everything we eat contains fiber (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-97294/How-fibre-favourite-foods-contain.html)

12. rosie272

rosie272 mum to charlie finn

Charlie always has brown bread, but he only gets toast or bread with soup every other day or the odd wholemeal pitta :)

13. Sarah10

Sarah10 Guest

I wouldn't of thought it would make a big difference? I don't plan on giving him loads of bread everyday, maybe at breakfast or lunch? I'm sure that being in mind he would get plenty of other things at various times of the day. Wholegrain is generally healthier, white grains just raise your blood sugar following a big dip.

14. MrsRabbit

MrsRabbit Guest

I switched my son about a year ago to 100% whole wheat bread without high fructose corn syrup or coloring added. When DD gets there I will attempt to follow the food guide - grain servings, veggies - I think bread still counts in my eat food mostly plants idea.

15. ouchwithNo.2

ouchwithNo.2 Well-Known Member

we use brown but only because we eat it anyway.
    white not only is a little less healthy but I find it goes rather gloopy and stodgy which they can struggle with after sucking for a while.

16. nikkiangel83

nikkiangel83 Mum to a little girl

Yep, you're right about the absorbtion thing. I was getting myself confused. OOPS!! Have also correctly my typo lol!

17. bubbles123

bubbles123 Well-Known Member

I use white. Advice I've read says not to give too much wholemeal produce as it can be hard for them to digest and fill them up too much. I intend to switch to wholemeal when he is a little older, probably about two. He's also a veggie baby and eats a lot of bulky, fibrous foods already (beans, lentils etc) so I don't want him to be bunged up or too full to eat other stuff.

18. wishuwerehere

wishuwerehere dh, me and 2dds

I'd just give LO whatever you normally buy :shrug:

19. gaga

gaga Active Member

Brown is better.

20. NuKe

NuKe mummy to 2 gorgeous girls

i give the brown bread with the seeds in it!