Who has a growth scan and why?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by maybemum2be, Jan 26, 2011.

1. maybemum2be

maybemum2be Well-Known Member

Just curious as nothing has been mentionned to me!

2. beckynbump25

beckynbump25 mommy to 1 an expecting

we have growth scans every three weeks due to my daughterbeing considered a small baby at 6lb 2oz.i wernt told the reason untill i got too my scan. i was a bit confussed.
    baby is currently weighing 3 and a half pounds so she isnt doing too bad x

do you have one?

3. Minimin

Minimin Well-Known Member

We are getting scans almost every two weeks as my bump is measuring small. All scan measurements place baby in about 5th percentile so they are monitoring me until delivery.
    I was told the reasons why I was being scanned. So should you so make sure you ask. :)
    Even though it is routine it is nice to know.

4. bakelite

bakelite Active Member

I had a growth scan yeaterday because my daughter was born 4lbs 7 oz (2.1 kilos) at 37 weeks. This one is already a pound heaveier than her at 36 weeks, so all is well. I don't expect to have any more scans.

5. 323laura

323laura Well-Known Member

i get growth scans every 4 weeks from 28 weeks as im fat and its hard to measure the baby because of that

6. jenfen

jenfen Well-Known Member

i have them because i'm overweight and they want to check that baby isn't big. Just had one today and another at 34 weeks. Jx

7. Tasha360

Tasha360 Mum to four 6 and under

i get them beacause im havin twins. Never had them in my previous pregnancies. You usually only get them if you have had complications in this or previous pregnancies or they want to monitor your baby extra closely for some reason xx

8. Tanikit

Tanikit Well-Known Member

I have them every appointment (since 12 weeks) because I am a type 1 diabetic and baby is expected to be big - my last was 8 pounds 3 ounces at 38 weeks and this one seems to be heading the same way but I don't think that is too bad.

9. happybeany

happybeany Well-Known Member

I've got to have a million appointments with consultant from 32 weeks onwards, I think its just because I'm high risk - only got the one scan booked in so far but probably have to have more?? xxx

10. emilyjade

emilyjade mummy of two!

i had one at 28Week's because during gtt midwife thought she felt small. i had another at 30 To check she was growing okay still after my bleed at 26weeks. after i saw the consultant she put me in for another on 2nd feb because she only put 1oz on in two Week's and is also breech x

11. Kimboowee

Kimboowee Complete

I (was) having them due to my son stopping growing at 34-36 weeks last time, he was 6lbs14oz at birth though!
    They're basically making sure the same doesnt happen again - though there also keeping an eye on me cos she's a big'un!

12. zoefromsussex

zoefromsussex Mother

I had one at 34 wks as I was suddenly measuring small for my dates (I was 30cm but two weeks previously I'd been 33cm!) Bub's is just under 5lbs so I've no idea why my bump has got smaller!

13. spring_baby

spring_baby <a href="http://pregnancy

I have had them every four weeks and am due to go again on 8th feb when i will be nearly 29 weeks then i dont know if I have to go more frequently or not but I have to see my consultant straight after.
    My baby's head is measuring small as is his abdomen but his arms and legs are measuring ahead also my placenta is anterior, previously I have had 2 babies early the last by 5 weeks so thats why they are putting me high risk and having extra scans, at the moment xx

14. reedsgirl1138

reedsgirl1138 Mommy of 4

I have been having growth scan because baby has been measuring 2 weeks ahead the whole time and I have parvovirus so they are checking as well to make sure he is not affected.

15. whoops

whoops Just me and my LO

I had one as my LO's head is quite small in proportion to her body, and I have mini-scans every time I see my consultant to make sure she's still on the same percentile.

16. vicky.uk

vicky.uk Well-Known Member

iv been having them every 2 weeks as my last 2 dd were small babys, and the second was a bit bigger and she got stuck so now they are watching the size of this one who is growing along the line perfect

17. bumpy_j

bumpy_j Well-Known Member

i had one at 32 weeks and one at 37 weeks because i was measuring small, at my last scan they told me he was over 7lbs though!

18. marnie79

marnie79 Well-Known Member

im having and have had extra scans at 28, my 32 week one tomoz then another one at 36 weeks as my son was born sleeping last january, so its to keep an eye on this one and probarly to give me reasurrance too .

19. alynn6758

alynn6758 Well-Known Member

I'm having one tomorrow, as at my 28 week appt, my bump seemed small, but I think it will be ok, cuz I think she's decided to grow a bit over the last 2 weeks, my bump has grown in my opinion, so hopefully it will only be one scan...:)

20. Ang3l

Ang3l Pregnant after loss

I have a final scan on Monday, though im not sure if its a growth scan or not or what its purpose is. Where I live everyone seems to get 3 scans during their pregnancy :)