Who is refusing procedures? (trigger warning-birth trauma mentioned)

MrS. MaBrEy

Homeschool mom of 2
Reaction score
My last birth was traumatic. Not a little traumatic, a lot traumatic. I was sexually assaulted while I screamed "I do not consent" because the midwife was sure "she knew better". there were other things too, but that is the worst of it....

that said, vaginal exams are triggering. I've done the research and i know that because I'm low risk they basically give no information. I don't need a smear (I'm in the US and it is routine to give one even in pregnancy here) right now, I had a breast exam less than a year ago and do my own monthly, and I have a pelvic ultrasound on file from less than 6 months ago. I have no risk for disease either and already consented to blood work for all those tests anyway (all were negative as expected).

I'm refusing all vaginal exams this pregnancy. I'm refusing all cervical checks until labor and even then I'll be asking that they are avoided (we're homebirthing, so it won't be an issue once we change providers).

Anyone else refusing vaginals/cervical exams for personal or other reasons? It feels strange to say no to a doctor, but i know I'm doing the right thing for my body and my baby. American society has such a fear of childbirth...it's just flabbergasting to see the reactions people get when I say, "I won't be consenting to that. My clothes are staying on." the nurse was so shocked she dropped her clip board. Apparently no one ever refuses these things. :shrug:

I'm so sorry that u have had these experiences. I'm in the uk and here cervical checks etc are not standard during pregnancy. I have never had an internal exam until in labour. So I'm thinking that there shouldn't be any risks associated with not having them? Its your body and you can do what feels right for u. Xo

I'm so sorry that u have had these experiences. I'm in the uk and here cervical checks etc are not standard during pregnancy. I have never had an internal exam until in labour. So I'm thinking that there shouldn't be any risks associated with not having them? Its your body and you can do what feels right for u. Xo

This is one of the reasons I'm very, very comfortable refusing. The UK is 10 years ahead of the US on research and has lower mortality rates. :thumbup:

i'm in the US and on my third baby, never had a cervical check until i was in labor. there was no need to.

My last birth was traumatic. Not a little traumatic, a lot traumatic. I was sexually assaulted while I screamed "I do not consent" because the midwife was sure "she knew better". there were other things too, but that is the worst of it....

that said, vaginal exams are triggering. I've done the research and i know that because I'm low risk they basically give no information. I don't need a smear (I'm in the US and it is routine to give one even in pregnancy here) right now, I had a breast exam less than a year ago and do my own monthly, and I have a pelvic ultrasound on file from less than 6 months ago. I have no risk for disease either and already consented to blood work for all those tests anyway (all were negative as expected).

I'm refusing all vaginal exams this pregnancy. I'm refusing all cervical checks until labor and even then I'll be asking that they are avoided (we're homebirthing, so it won't be an issue once we change providers).

Anyone else refusing vaginals/cervical exams for personal or other reasons? It feels strange to say no to a doctor, but i know I'm doing the right thing for my body and my baby. American society has such a fear of childbirth...it's just flabbergasting to see the reactions people get when I say, "I won't be consenting to that. My clothes are staying on." the nurse was so shocked she dropped her clip board. Apparently no one ever refuses these things. :shrug:

Firstly I am so very sorry that happened to you. It must be devastating.

Secondly in New Zealand no one touches your genitals let alone your breasts (they look at your boobs there in pregnancy?!). Certainly no smear tests and my midwife asks me for permission just to feel for my public bone through my underwear to do my fundal height.

I would never ever want someone's finger or a speculum inside my vagina during pregnancy. It's obviously not needed either as we all get along just fine with making babies here.

Goodness me how horrific for you no wonder you are saying no, its your body and you and only you know whats right for it.

I dont remember any internal exams last time round until my sweep which I consented to, the only exam I kinda refused was in labour and she wanted to check how far dilated I was I screamed at her she could bloody well check after the pain injection :haha:

I had them and need them to give me some warning of when to be ready because I have insanely fast labors with little or no warning. But my doctors were always nice and I don't really have any problems with pap smears or that kind of thing so I just go with the flow and when they say I'm beginning to efface or at 1 cm I'm completely alert to be prepared for my water to break at any time and just hope to get to a hospital lol. If I were to ever be at 2 I may as well be ready for the baby to be here in an hour.

I made sure i had a smear test at my gp pre pregnancy... other than that i never had any internals with ds.. i ended up having a cs anyway but i dont see any need for them

Do what makes u comfortable!
Your body your baby!

I'm so sorry- that sounds awful!
As others have said in the uk there are no smear tests done in pregnancy, no vsginal exams, and cervix is only checked once in labour IF you consent. You have every right to say no, it's your body x

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience that sounds awful :( my OB can give cervical checks during pregnancy if you want and consent otherwise they are totally not necessary...however during labor I really don't see how you can avoid it? It does give valuable info on progression and baby's position etc but even then I'm sure that if u refuse they can't force you. As for Pap smears they don't do any during pregnancy here as it's dangerous but afterwards yes if u want to detect cervical cancer etc. Again I'm so sorry you had that experience xx

I've had no smears (mine was 6 months before I got pregnant) or breast checks. They start cervical measurement at 36ish weeks but unless I have issues they won't push it even then. I did have a few checks but that was for yeast and such.

In in the UK and had a traumatic birth with my daughter in 2014. I will be (for the most part) refusing vaginal exams. I will also be refusing other intervention unless it is absolutely medically necessary. With my daughter's birth j felt so out of control and I want to try and get some of that back this time. Good luck for your birth I hope you have a positive experience :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->