Whooping cough Vaccination

My arm was really sore for a few days and I felt like poo the next day. Still wouldn't have stopped me getting it :)

I had it in first pregnancy no side effects. I think I'll be about 33&1/2 weeks thus time my surgery takes weeks to give anyone an appt for anything.

I had it and found the injection a little painful.and arm was sore for two days but no side effects

I was offered the shot while in the hospital after having DS.

I'm not doing this. It's an off label use of the vaccine, and even the manufacturer states it should only be given to pregnant women if necessary due to lack of research. Out of over 28000 cases only 9 were fatal according to the CDC. To me the risk of an untested vaccine in pregnancy outweighs the risk of whooping cough, esp since medications administered in pregnancy don't have a great track record ( DES, etc. ).

I also declined this last pregnancy and will be declining gain. I'm struggling to find any sensible peer-reviewed research around the risks and benefits so if you have some that you could share, that would be great :flower:

I'll be asking for it this wk, it protects bubs until he can have his own vaccinations, and there's been a few babies in the news recently (in Aust) dying unnecessarily from whooping cough.

I too decided against having the vaccine for a few reasons:
1) It's a very new recommendation with not enough studies to support its validity as of yet. Up until recently, doctors would also recommend 'cocooning' too (i.e. vaccinating everyone in baby's close environment), but now new studies are challenging the value of this advice, so more and more doctors are now considering it unnecessary.
2) We live in Southern California. We have very long summers with hot weather often lasting 'till October/November, and baby is due any day now, so will be born in September. This means that he will be vaccinated for whopping cough in November at 2 months, before it gets cold enough here for any whopping cough epidemic to start/catch on. I'd definitely consider it much more seriously if we lived in a colder climate or if he was going to be born in the late fall or winter months.
3) Tied with #1, I was just unsure about any side effects and didn't feel like risking it. I was at somewhat increased risk for preterm delivery due to an irritable uterus (luckily that didn't happen and I'm still pregnant at almost 40 weeks now), so I didn't want to take any chances. Irrational, I know, but I couldn't shake the fear of something bad happening to me or baby due to the vaccine, so in the end I decided to turn it down and not get it.

I was told by my doctor that the best time to have the vaccine was between 28 and 36 weeks of pregnancy.

I had mine at 28/29 weeks, no side effects apart from a bruised arm feeling for a few days. It's newly introduced recommendation here in Aus (I didn't have one with my son in 2013) because there's a been quite a few cases here in recent months, including some fatalities of very young babies.

I too am in australia and had mine today arm is sore but thats it .
I was told the vaccine is not a live vaccine so there is no chance of it harming bub and by having it in 3rd tri , we pass some antibodies to baby before they are born , which i think is a great idea with how serious it can be .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->