Why can't baby have milk under 12 months? What age were yours?

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
So I don't plan on stage 3 I want to go straight to full fat milk.

Why aren't they allowed it before 12 months?

What age did you move them over to full fat milk bottle (if you did)?

Caitlins 10 half months and I'm dying to see if she will take thi smilk better than she does on formula.

x

I found this on the food standards agency website when someone asked about it the other day...

Cows' milk is not suitable as a drink until a baby is a year old because it contains too much salt and protein, and not enough iron and other nutrients, to meet your baby's needs.

Didn't know about the salt - don't think there's any harm in giving them tastes to get used to it when they're nearly 1 though, as long as they're still getting some formula x

If you want to try her on it, why not try it watered down first? It can really irritate their stomachs if given too early.

xx

I am going to be honest I dont know why they are not allow it :blush: I think it has something to do with the Iron and vits. content, but I had my Dan off formula and on cows milk at 5 months :blush: I know bad mum but that was 10 years ago and my HV seemed alright with it. Dec came of formula about 1-2 weeks before he was 11 months, HV said it was fine just to give him vit. drops, and he took the change so well and he seems to like it better than formula, he will drink so much more of it. xx

I would not give full fat milk as a regular drink before 12 months as formula is nutritionally superior to cows milk, i even kept Jack on growing up milk until he was 14-15 months old so i could feel confinent he was getting enough nutrients to support his balanced diet, he had no problems at all switching from formula to cows milk x

Meant to say that if she's not really wanting to drink any formula it's probably better than nothing milk-wise as long as she's not having too much (because of the salt?)... maybe worth asking your HV - you can get free vitamins on prescription too x

I am going to be honest I dont know why they are not allow it :blush: I think it has something to do with the Iron and vits. content, but I had my Dan off formula and on cows milk at 5 months :blush: I know bad mum but that was 10 years ago and my HV seemed alright with it. Dec came of formula about 1-2 weeks before he was 11 months, HV said it was fine just to give him vit. drops, and he took the change so well and he seems to like it better than formula, he will drink so much more of it. xx
I've read this often (the milk change and vits) so basically the change without is a defo no no but a maybe with.

You know I may go seak to HV see what she says about Moos intake of milk and see if she thins the change is worth it.

Meant to say that if she's not really wanting to drink any formula it's probably better than nothing milk-wise as long as she's not having too much (because of the salt?)... maybe worth asking your HV - you can get free vitamins on prescription too x
Its still a struggle with her tbh

I'd rather she just enjoyed her milk now!! :(

She might be fine on it with supplements...the calcium etc she'll be getting with it if she's on vits too must be better than her not wanting formula and not getting as much as she should - can't be nice having to drink something you don't like either. And when we were young we had cows milk a long time before we were 1! x

I thought it was something to do with the development of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down the sugar in milk) that they weren't allowed it until they were 1.

My Auntie's very strict with my baby cousin, won't let him have milk chocolate or anything, whereas my dad has just given all three of us milk-containing products from fairly early..not sure about straight milk though.

I had to have soya when I was a baby, because milk upset me as I was lactose intolerant. There's something about that and aluminium that can be bad too though...

https://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Cows-Milk---Even-Cows-Don-t-Drink-It/100340

That article (not completely related to babies) is quite interesting and suggests different kinds of milk... I think I'd just watch out for any allergic reactions and make sure baby is getting enough vits. :)

xx

I thought it was something to do with the development of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down the sugar in milk) that they weren't allowed it until they were 1.

My Auntie's very strict with my baby cousin, won't let him have milk chocolate or anything, whereas my dad has just given all three of us milk-containing products from fairly early..not sure about straight milk though.

I had to have soya when I was a baby, because milk upset me as I was lactose intolerant. There's something about that and aluminium that can be bad too though...

https://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Cows-Milk---Even-Cows-Don-t-Drink-It/100340

That article (not completely related to babies) is quite interesting and suggests different kinds of milk... I think I'd just watch out for any allergic reactions and make sure baby is getting enough vits. :)

xx

Both formula and breast milk contain lactose, so unless a baby has a lactase deficiency or lactose allergy or intolerance I don't think that should be an issue. Babies born prematurely may have reduced amounts of lactase but its production peaks at around the time of birth.

As formula contains cows' milk proteins and milk can be used in cooking (as well as babies eating yogurt, cheese etc) from 6 months, you'd probably already know if they were going to have a reaction to it x

Cows milk contains the most lactose. Yoghurt and Cheese does not contain as much lactose... Well, as adviced by several sites, lactose intolerance; cheese, yoghurt and some other stuff should be okay as the lactose is in smaller amounts, it's just straight cows milk.

Goats milk is okay for milder lactose intolerant sufferers because it contains less lactose. It's the content of the lactose that causes the problems mostly.

This is kinda OT...a little bit... But if it is the high lactose content of cow's milk that's meant to be the problem in babies, it is kinda relevant. I'll do some more research.

xx

Cows milk contains the most lactose. Yoghurt and Cheese does not contain as much lactose... Well, as adviced by several sites, lactose intolerance; cheese, yoghurt and some other stuff should be okay as the lactose is in smaller amounts, it's just straight cows milk.

Goats milk is okay for milder lactose intolerant sufferers because it contains less lactose. It's the content of the lactose that causes the problems mostly.

This is kinda OT...a little bit... But if it is the high lactose content of cow's milk that's meant to be the problem in babies, it is kinda relevant. I'll do some more research.

xx

Cows' milk does not contain the most lactose. Breast milk has higher amounts. Where did you read that?

Sorry for going a bit off topic Wobbs :blush: x

I waited until about 2 weeks before Katie turned 1

Reasons:

Katie hated formula, she retched everytime the bottle even went near her
The price, bloody expensive to be throwing half of it own the sink :roll:
convenience, so much easier just pouring it out:happydance:

Outcome:
She loves it, never retches and drinks in excess of 24 oz's a day of it:happydance:

So happy baby, happy mummy.

If its all to do with vitamins you kinda think giving them seperate vits with cows milk woul be ok? :shrug: the salt thing I've never heard of but really can a babys system ,Kidneys in particular; be all that more developed and ready to cope with Salt in a matter of a month?

I'd talk to hv hun & see what she says :)

Some babies just aren't as "into" milk as others once they start eating solids babe. I have to fight with Toby every feed (almost) to feed him his bottles:hissy:. Baby's who aren't into their formula aren't usually any more excited by plain cows milk, just going off experience and other Mum's comments.

I started giving mine hot choc in the mornings when they were about 18months just to get them to drink a substantial amount of milk. I'm not recommending hot choc....just saying that's how I got mine to drink more milk when they were a bit older:blush:

Babies and toddlers still need a certain amount of milk though but it's fine if the milk is given in the way of milky pudding like rice pud or custard and mixed with food, cereal etc or made into a cheese sauce. It doesn't just have to be in liquid/drink form.

This link looks like it answers a lot of questions

https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/en/fe/page.asp?n1=1&n2=5&n3=27&n4=49

xx

Cows' milk does not contain the most lactose. Breast milk has higher amounts. Where did you read that?

Really? I didn't know that. Now I'm confused. I was okay on breast, formula but highly allergic to cow's milk at a later stage as a baby...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_milk

Lots of places make it seem that cows milk contains more, unless it's a different kind of lactose?

"A significant minority of infants are allergic to one or more of the constituents of cow's milk, most often the high amounts of lactose (milk sugars) and agglutinin."

See that makes it sound like theres LOADS of lactose in cows milk, but not much in Breast...unless it is a different kind?.......

I'm really confused now. Although this is an interesting discussion. Goats milk definately contains less than cows milk tho, so I might try my babes on that when I have em.

I'm gonna back out now :blush:, because I am just a little bit confuzzed.

xxx

rhys had cows milk at one but it didnt agree with him and it gave him stomach cramps because he couldnt handle the proteins. we stopped and only started again recentely.. about 18months ish

I'm gonna back out now https://www.babyandbump.com/../images/smilies/blush.gif, because I am just a little bit confuzzed.
Awful isn't it how conflicting things can be either from what you read or what HVs say. You find almost anything you want to agree with on the net :dohh: and also you will see 2 Mums in the same situation and both their HVs saying two different things.

Thats why I like asking 'Mum' - I have hardly seen a HV since Caitlin was born.

I'm gonna back out now https://www.babyandbump.com/../images/smilies/blush.gif, because I am just a little bit confuzzed.
Awful isn't it how conflicting things can be either from what you read or what HVs say. You find almost anything you want to agree with on the net :dohh: and also you will see 2 Mums in the same situation and both their HVs saying two different things.

Thats why I like asking 'Mum' - I have hardly seen a HV since Caitlin was born.

A lot of advice is conflicting yep:hissy:

I take notice of the stuff I like the sound of and ignore the stuff that I don't like:rofl:....withing reason obviously

NHS websites are probably the most up to sate and accurate ones to look at for baby advice etc so if you're googling put in NHS first....that's what I do anyway:dohh:

xx

Really? I didn't know that. Now I'm confused. I was okay on breast, formula but highly allergic to cow's milk at a later stage as a baby...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_milk

Lots of places make it seem that cows milk contains more, unless it's a different kind of lactose?

"A significant minority of infants are allergic to one or more of the constituents of cow's milk, most often the high amounts of lactose (milk sugars) and agglutinin."

See that makes it sound like theres LOADS of lactose in cows milk, but not much in Breast...unless it is a different kind?.......

I'm really confused now. Although this is an interesting discussion. Goats milk definately contains less than cows milk tho, so I might try my babes on that when I have em.

I'm gonna back out now :blush:, because I am just a little bit confuzzed.

xxx

Some are allergic to the cows' milk proteins, rather than the lactose. I'm half asleep and confused too so maybe I'm wrong...just rushing out though so no time to find out, sorry! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->