Why can't things EVER be easy!!! PLS READ - need advice - legal stuff!

Sam86

wtt
Reaction score
Ok, this might be a long story but i'll try make it as short as poss.

So, a few weeks ago I got a new job. I looked in my contract for the job i was still in and it said i only have to give 1 weeks notice for every year i've worked.. so, being nice and not wanting to leave them short handed, i gave them 2 weeks notice.

I left last Sunday and started my new job yesterday. Then i got a call from my old boss saying that I had taken too many days holiday and that they will not be paying me for the last week i worked (i get paid weekly..about £200 after tax) AND that not only are they not paying me but that i owe 4 days back to them so i can either go back to work for them for 4 days for free, or pay them £150.
IMPOSSIBLY seeing as i have actually NO money in my account.

So i called the legal people this morning.
They said that fair enough if i've taken too many days hol, they can take my wage... BUT if they want £150 then they have to take me to court which will cost them a lot more to do that.
Basically my old bosses hated me. THats why they're doing this.

They won't give me my P45 which means i'll have emergency tax deducted from my new weekly wage, which i cant afford to loose!!

They're such *******s.
I'm about to write a letter to them to tell them about this court business, but my boss keeps texting me and calling me and its putting me on edge. The last thing i wanted to do was leave on bad terms!!

Stress stress stress!!!

Any advice would be great!
xxx

gosh that dont sound good hun, i dont know for sure but they cant withhold ur p45 its a legal doc that they have to give you.
as to the holiday thing, I think thats right, if u have taken too much they can take back money with notice of. what do u owe them 4 days for???? if thats holiday then they cant have both. as for the calls and texts keep them for evidence and make a note of calls etc, dates, times and if pssible record them. I cant help u much more than this babes but hope u sort it out xxxx :hugs:

They would have to take you to small claims court to get the money back (which they would have to fund themself - Even if they represent themselves I believe the court cost are between £60 - £80 + their time)... so I wouldn't worry about them doing that (even if they do you can pay them back 50p a week).

As far as emergency tax. Get your new employer to give you a p61 form (I think it's a P61) and you should be fine.

All in all, if you are willing to forget teh £150 then I wouldn't worry about it.

They would have to take you to small claims court to get the money back (which they would have to fund themself - Even if they represent themselves I believe the court cost are between £60 - £80 + their time)... so I wouldn't worry about them doing that (even if they do you can pay them back 50p a week).

As far as emergency tax. Get your new employer to give you a p61 form (I think it's a P61) and you should be fine.

All in all, if you are willing to forget teh £150 then I wouldn't worry about it.

Thats JUST what my mum said - about the paying 50p a week back. Haha.

I need to send them the letter i've written, just basically saying that they'd need to take me to court for the other money. And i also wanna see the dates they've got down that i took as holiday.
I'm so glad i called the legal people today cos i'd have probably ended up giving them all that money! urgh! horrible people!

Another thing i put on the letter is that if they wanna contact me, i won't be available by phone - they'd have to write to me. I dont wanna be scared to answer my phone!!

grrrrrrrrr!!!

Thanks for the help girls. :) :) much appreciated!

I need to send them the letter i've written, just basically saying that they'd need to take me to court for the other money. And i also wanna see the dates they've got down that i took as holiday.
I'm so glad i called the legal people today cos i'd have probably ended up giving them all that money! urgh! horrible people!

Another thing i put on the letter is that if they wanna contact me, i won't be available by phone - they'd have to write to me. I dont wanna be scared to answer my phone!!

grrrrrrrrr!!!

Haha, SC is now a girl :p

as others have said he cant legally hold your p45 back as it belongs to the inland revenue not him. get on to the union and see what they say. he is being a tosser. I hate bosstards!

grrrrrrrrr!!!

Haha, SC is now a girl :p

oops! haha!

Fill in a P46 that will sort out the tax and they will prob give up chasing you soon enough anyway, they should have calculated your holidays and told you before you left

yer a p46 from the post office hun, its got all the information the inland revenue need.

Same as what the others have said hun. Just make sure you fill in a P46 on your first day and you won't be charged emergency tax, you'll be just on week1, then the tax office will get the info from your old company and it should be sorted in 2-3 weeks.:hugs:

The other place that gives quite good advice is the citizens advice bureau. give them a call if you aren't sure and they can tell you what your rights are. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->