Why is she being so awkward?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by Lazy Leo, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Lazy Leo

Lazy Leo Well-Known Member

My mum. I love her to bits and we are very close. Perhaps too close. She took the humph with me a few weeks ago because I didn't take her to a follow up early scan. I was scared it was going to be bad news as the initial scan was dating me at 5 weeks when i should have been almost 7wks and they told me to go back ten days later. My hubby wasn't here and I hadn't told my mum I had to go back because I didn't want to worry her.

I did tell a friend though and she offered to come with me. It saved my mum getting time off work and it meant I would just about hold it together if it was bad news - if my mum had been there I would have gone to pieces as i did when I told her about my m/c last year.

When I told her that my friend was with me she was really hurt/upset/offended/whatever.

Today I told her that I am just assuming that she will be there if hubby doesn't make it back in time (he works away a lot) but that I thought I really should do her the courtesy of asking before I name her as a birth partner at the midwife next week.

To which she responds 'of course, if you've not got someone else in mind' WTF - is there really any need?

I ignored it completely, went on to say I've not made my mind up on anything and despite her advice so far to make my own decisions etc, she nearly choked when I mentioned the possibility of home birth and went on to tell me how if anything goes wrong blah, blah, blah..... (Actually I don't really intend home birth but threw in to get back at her for the previous comment as I knew what her reaction would be!)

But really, is it just me or is there no need for that comment? After all she doesn't have a god given right to be second choice after hubby for scans does she?

Please tell me I'm not being thick here and missing the point completely?!

2. Seraphim

Seraphim Amazing Baby Girl

:hug:

I thought it was just weddings that brought this out in them ;)

My mum was always about the education, so this whole baby fuss has come as a shock to me, because she was always steering me towards a career and away from family.

Funnily I had the opposite about the hospital vs home birth - and it annoyed the hell out of me too!

You're not being weird or horrible.

I'm just trying to set things up as I intend them to be later on.

I just hope I'm not going to be an ungrateful brat who then needs help later. But I don't think it's wrong for a couple ~30ish to want to do it independently ;)

3. Lazy Leo

Lazy Leo Well-Known Member

Thanks Seraphim!