Why is the Breastfeeding Forum in the baby section?

MrsHedgehog

Reaction score
I was just wondering why it's not in the general parenting section. I'm breastfeeding a toddler but most of the threads in here are about babies and not really helpful. Maybe this forum could be moved or there could be another section for extended breastfeeding. Anyone else agree?

Well generally you'd think that most of your questions about breastfeeding would be when your new to it and your baby is a baby. Also, people go in baby club with toddlers. It doesn't bother me which section is in, it's not like you can't use it if you don't 100% apply

I see your point but like dk1234 said, most people who have questions and need support do have younger babies so it's only natural that they'd account for the majority of threads. There's still plenty of people in here with toddlers though. I don't think the categorization is stopping anyone with older kids from making threads :shrug:

Because people start breastfeeding when their baby is a newborn?

And let's be realistic here, less than 20 percent of mums who breastfeed go as long as one year. So it makes far more sense for the forum to be in the Baby section.

agree with others. i dont think anyone would mind you posting about bfing a toddler

As others have said, the large majority of mothers don't BF past 1 year, so BFing and any questions and advice are usually limited to babyhood.

However, there are plenty of posts about extended BFing here and there's nothing stopping you from posting:shrug:

Agree with all other responses, but perhaps you could ask the mods whether there would be enough traffic for a new section...perhaps "Breastfeeding Over 1yr"

Or start a new Group thread in the parenting section where people can join you and discuss long term breastfeeding?

Must admit though, I had no idea it was in the baby section, I just came here because it was about Breastfeeding in general.

I think it's in the most appropriate section as the majority of questions and problems are when the child is a baby, particularly at the beginning of the breastfeeding journey. It doesn't exclude anyone from posting. I've posted a few times myself with a toddler.

Toddlers are still babies to me anyway, just babies that toddle and chatter.

Probably due to the fact that we START breastfeeding babies? and they tend to bring the most questions.

I'm sure those new to breast feeding could be inspired by those who have been doing it for months/years, and could do with the support. (Speaking as a regular member, I actually don't know the answer)

The way I see it, you are most likely to have problems breastfeeding as a new mum with a baby and will therefore look in the baby section. If its elsewhere it might be missed by mums who are most in need of help.

I don't think having an extended breastfeeding section would be necessary. Surely that would just serve to emphasise the differences between what is seen as "normal" breastfeeding and what is abnormal. Plus when your having issues with baby its quite nice to read the next thread when its about cute things toddlers do when nursing.... or something else that shows you why your doing it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->