Why was the diagnosis a shock!

smurff

Mummy to Emily and Harry
Reaction score
Hi, my little princess is nearly 6 yrs old, we have suspected for a few years that she had autism, she is in a ARB class room in school. There was a big meeting today about her diagnosis and she has level 2 Autism and developmental delay. I knew it was coming I've known a long time but when I was told for definite I was shocked and when I finished the phone call I burst into tears. As I say she is level 2 now, but does that mean she will stay at level 2?

Just wanted to send hugs. In a lot off ways a diagnosis is a positive thing but it is bound to be emotional too.

I am not an expert but I believe the level of autism doesn't change as you get older. Although occasionally a diagnosis will change that isn't because a person has become less autistic but some people get good at coping strategies which can effect the outcome of tests. It's not like there is a blood test for it so a certain amount of interpretation goes into the diagnosis.

I think it’s totally normally to feel that way. When my DS got put on the autism pathway I was devestated even though I already knew it was going to happen. He has his final assessments coming up and I know he has ASD but I also know when he is officially diagnosed I will be heartbroken all over again.

I don’t know about the levels? I don’t think we have levels in the uk? Unless your uk as well, then it’s something I’ve never heard off. I think children can definitely learn to cope better as they get older though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->