Why wont they take me seriously?!

broodybeauty

Reaction score
Hi ladies really hope you can help as GP's are a waste of time.So the story so far....

My poor little baba Bradley is only 9 weeks old and has had such a time of it.He was born at 38 weeks after a 35 hour induction.

In the first week he was discovered to have jaundice and needed photo therapy other than that he was the calmest quietest baby i and anyone who knew him had ever met.Apart from a bit bowel trouble,opening his bowels only once every 4/5 days.So we switched him to aptamil for colic and constipation which did help a little.From about 4 weeks old is where the trouble started Bradley would constantly be restless,full of wind,drawing knees up,grunting constantly.I put this down to a windy baby and started him on dentinox drops amongst others.This didnt help but we could cope.When Bradley reached 7 weeks it all got alot worse,he would constantly fidgit,claw at his face in pain and go very rigid when held,archs his back and neck twists his body and refusse to be burped by throwing himself backwards.

It did tend to revolve around feeding time but now he has about 8-10 of these 'episodes' a day and is awake grunting alll night.Hes exhausted because the pains constantly wake him,he gulps his feeds,drools constantly causing him to gasp for air and gag and he strains so hard when passing stool and is generally just very uncomfortable and unhappy when these pains hit.

He does have happy times when he smiles and coos and is a different baby which makes it even harder when these episodes occur seeing him so distressed.

So we went to GP's suspected lactose intollerance he was put on Nutramigen 1 along with Gaviscon to cover the chance it could be reflux.Only change was he was opening his bowels more frequently(which i must add are very dark and have specks of black through(not blood my gp confirmed) but all of his other symptoms have just got worse!

He is now on ranatidine 0.6ml 3 times a day with the nutramigen and gaviscon,with no change.We have a peads appt tomoro but my gp told me it is unlikely they will investigate further if the ranatidine isnt working and maybe he is just a colicky baby!!!Maybe she should try spending a day and night with him and see how distressed he is.

Sorry for such a long post i am just wondering if anyone has experience of this or has advise on what i can say to peads for them to take me seriously and investigate further.I know this isnt colic!xx:cry:

It sounds to me like reflux. I know other ladies on here can advise :)

Have you had stool tests ordered? There's 2 different types that I know of. One checks for microscopic blood in the stool (which would indicate an allergy). The other one analyzes the fat within the stool (which I believe checks for abnormal absorbtion... there shouldn't be fat in stool). I don't know of any other tests as far as stool samples go... but there are probably more.
It doesn't sound like colic. Colic normally revovles around a specific time of day (generally the evenings)... if your LO is that miserable ALL DAY... I would get a second option. Hope you get a break soon hun :flowers:

Hey hun this Sounds pretty much like a post I wrote a few months ago so I feel your pain. My los symptoms were pretty much the same as your los. He has a milk allergy and was put on a similar milk to nutrimegan, he also was bad on this as it still contains a small amount of milk. A trip to the paed and she referred us to a baby dietition who prescribed neocate milk which has no cows protein in it at all. I wonder if your Lo has a milk allergy rather than lactose intolerant as that is quite rare. Milk allergys can cause reflux but to me Sounds like more than that as you've said your Lo has stomach pains and bad poop. You could ask your ped to refer you urgently to a diatician as in my experience tend to know a lot more about allergys and the different types of milk x

Hey hun this Sounds pretty much like a post I wrote a few months ago so I feel your pain. My los symptoms were pretty much the same as your los. He has a milk allergy and was put on a similar milk to nutrimegan, he also was bad on this as it still contains a small amount of milk. A trip to the paed and she referred us to a baby dietition who prescribed neocate milk which has no cows protein in it at all. I wonder if your Lo has a milk allergy rather than lactose intolerant as that is quite rare. Milk allergys can cause reflux but to me Sounds like more than that as you've said your Lo has stomach pains and bad poop. You could ask your ped to refer you urgently to a diatician as in my experience tend to know a lot more about allergys and the different types of milk x

Thanks that really does make sense,i really appreciate your reply,i didnt realise nutramigen still had milk protein in.Was your baby crying at feeds,Bradley doesnt but hes irritable ,gulps,cant catch his breath(maybe to ease reflux pain?)How long between paed and dietition did your baby wait?

Breaks your heart seeing them so uncomfortable doesnt it.Thanks again xx

Hey no worries glad to help, don't want another baby to suffer any longer than they have too. It's taken us over 2 months to get the right milk for Caleb, initially we had to wait 2 months to see the ped but after I complained to the doctor he did a urgent referral and we saw a ped 3 days later, she changed his milk to another type but still containing small amount of milk, she said she didn't know a lot about baby milks so that's why she referred him to the dietition, initially the wait was 8 weeks! I rang them everyday for 4 days and got a canx for 2 weeks time. The diatician basically put him on neocate straight away. hes 5 months old now and finally better, its like someone's given me a different baby he's sooo happy :) the dietition actually said to me if is taken him to a and e they would've got a paed from the kids ward to look at him and they would've given him it straight away, I wish I had done this along time ago. My friend from baby group has had a poorly baby for 2 weeks and she went to a and e and her baby was given neocate, (he had been on nutrimegan prior). Makes me sad knowing Caleb suffered so long when I could've just done that, I guess I was naive and trusted the docs / paed too much x

Eta: he didn't cry at feeds but would be majorly fussy when eating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->