Why???

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by RainbowGift, Mar 29, 2011.

1. RainbowGift

RainbowGift mother of infant twins

Hi all. Please help me figure out why my infant son is leaking out the BACK of his Bumgenius OS. There is nothing hanging out to wick. I would understand if he leaked out the leg holes, but the back??? I am sooooo tired (I have twins) and I keep having to change his clothes. I know one of you will know the answer.
    thanks in advance.'
    Jen

2. DueMarch2nd

DueMarch2nd mummy to a little lamb

Sounds like the waist needs to be done a bit tighter. Have you tried doing the aist tighter, but leaving the thigh setting the same?

3. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fitting issue to me too. Remember that BGs have stretchy tabs so you can probably fasten them a bit tighter than you'd expect.

Other than that, when they leak are the inserts soaked at the back?

4. LittlePants

LittlePants Well-Known Member

It's not the label is it? I've seen something about the label wicking through with BG's.

5. RainbowGift

Hmmmm, it's not the label, that is on the side. I will try to put them on tighter. The insert is always wet all over, maybe I will try two inserts and tighter fit. Thanks.

6. Rachel_C

Oh well if the insert is wet through, that means you need more absorbency. Which insert are you using and how old is he?

7. Zen_Jenn

Zen_Jenn Mother

I'd also make sure the elastic part is against his back, not over the insert. Not sure if that's clear, but I often have to roll the back inwards, so when the diaper is done up all you can see is the PUL with maybe a little bit of microfleece. We also use the baby insert on top of the regular size one all the time for extra absorbancy.

8. RainbowGift

Thanks everyone. Rachel, he is two months but his due date was just a week ago. I use one, sometimes two, newborn insert and the diaper is set to smallest setting. He was a big preemie (thank goodness, and is up to ten pounds now).

9. Jetters

Jetters Well-Known Member

At 10lbs, my baby needed to use the full BG insert, not the newborn ones. xx

10. Rachel_C

I'd say that's why they're leaking then! The newborn inserts are really tiny so you'd have to change after every wee for anything other than a really new baby (any baby over a week or so old). I'd definitely add the full set of boosters. If that seems really bulky you could just use the big one but I'd use both.

11. RainbowGift

I thought it was solved, now that I am using the big inserts, but today I have had to change all of his clothes every time I change his diaper. I have twins and I just can't keep doing this. *sigh* Wits end.

12. Rachel_C

How often are you changing him and when you do, is the insert soaked? Some babies, even young ones, need changing every 2 hours or even more often with inserts like the BG ones.