Will I need a moses basket/cot?

M

Maid Marian

I'm planning on co-sleeping and baby-wearing, and I'm not really sure whether this means I shouldn't bother getting any sort of bed for baby as well - I was just thinking during the day, will I need somewhere to put baby down if he wants a nap/I need free hands for a bit, or will I just carry him round/pop him in his bouncy chair for a few minutes?

Wellllll it's up to you really! Don't spend a fortune on moses baskets or bouncy chairs though as they're in them for literally seconds. Or so it seems.

I used my moses basket a lot in the first six weeks to pop him down in when he was asleep in the front room with me, and a simple bouncy chair was good too but they sleep better flat. x

I didn't get a moses basket, but I did get a proper mattress for my pram so they could doze in it in the living room during the day. Are you planning on getting a pram at all?

I did want to be able to set my baby down, but my bedrooms are upstairs and I wanted to have somewhere downstairs for them closer to me.

We're planning on co-sleeping but baby won't be in our bed so we've bought an Arm's Reach co-sleeper (bassinet that sits flush against the side of our bed). However, for the living room and during the day, we bought a second-hand moses masket and a second hand bouncer off eBay. Needless to say, I think we've got it covered but I don't think you need to get all that.

We're really happy to have bought the moses basket second hand (£4.20 - hardly used by previous owner) because as PP has said, babies use it for such a very short time.

if you didnt live so far away you could have the moses basket thats sitting under EJ's cot for free but postage would cost a bit so you could probably find one up there and you would need a mattress as i think OH chucked ours, it needs a bit of a mend but it works , got a stand as well for it and loads of bedding lol i just used it downstairs in the daytime when Nate was upstairs in his room caus he would wake EJ if I put EJ up in our room

We were given one (which I've since passed back to the original owner's sister for her baby) and I wouldn't have bought one if we weren't given one, but I am really glad we had it. Some babies are perfectly content to sleep on their own but it's nice to be able to have them in the same room as you and even if you do often have them sleep on you, it's nice to have somewhere you can put them down. My LO slept in the moses basket in the living room pretty much all day for the first few months of her life! If money or space are issues though, if you have a thick carpet or rug and you can put a nice play mat down, your LO might be just as happy to sleep on the floor during the day!

We never bothered with a moses basket/bassinet either but our baby swing was a god-send :thumbup:

Hi Rose :) We had a Moses basket(was given to us) and Ethan didn't like it-he got to a point where he would start screaming if we put him near it. Through the day he either sleeps in the middle of our bed, on one of us or on the floor on his playmat.
If you can find one really cheap you could try it, but I think there a bit of a waste of money anyway how quickly they get outgrown.

I would get one just incase. I would have loved to have co slept with River but she just wasnt in to it and actually preferred her moses basket

I would get one just incase. I would have loved to have co slept with River but she just wasnt in to it and actually preferred her moses basket

This... mine refused to cosleep.

That being said, I wear him allll day long, and when he was very young, I would "wear him down" onto my bed and he would stay asleep on the bed. So if the baby is fine with sleeping on the bed, you can simply wear the sling down to it and leave the baby there.

i didnt bother :thumbup:
if i needed to put her down she went on her gym.

Moral of the story: no one can tell you what your baby will prefer so the decision is yours really :)

our moses basket was one of the best things I bought. we co-slept at night and I wore him when we went out (not really much round the house), but he rarely slept in the sling, or a bouncy chair. he seemed to like sleeping while lying properly flat. I kept the basket downstairs near me while he napped, and he was happy in it till he was over 7 months old, which was when he started climbing out.

our moses basket was one of the best things I bought. we co-slept at night and I wore him when we went out (not really much round the house), but he rarely slept in the sling, or a bouncy chair. he seemed to like sleeping while lying properly flat. I kept the basket downstairs near me while he napped, and he was happy in it till he was over 7 months old, which was when he started climbing out.

Wow, 7 months is a long time! How did you get it to last that long? Did you put the basket on the table or a similar hard surface to support the bottom as your baby got heavier?

We bought a bassinet for our LO to sleep in occasionally, even though he co-sleeps. It's nice to have.

Wow, 7 months is a long time! How did you get it to last that long? Did you put the basket on the table or a similar hard surface to support the bottom as your baby got heavier?

yes, we always had it on the settee, and when he got older it was kind of pushed in with cushions on the outer side to keep it stable, though he never attempted to roll in it.

like this - which was the last day we used the basket, he was 7 and a half months old, and figured out how to do this :lol:

Totally adorable!

Thanks - this gives me some ideas about how to extend the use of our moses basket. We have a really wide sofa and a wide coffee table we can rest the basket on.

HI ladies..

im just curious, not been smart r anything like tat, so PLEASE dont tink i am. i generally just am wondering how u all get on with the co, sleeping...

it was never something id ever done as i always like my kids to have their own beds. even at night feeds id just feed, burp and straight back in.. so im curious as how u all get on with them when they get older?? do they not be a bit clingy? does it not effect ur sex life and how does it work wen u have baby sitter r they stay with relations??
and again if anyone tink im bee nsmart r trying to say u are all worng, im really really not i just neverrealise so many people did it until i started gonig on this forum. so im curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->