Will midwife give me a sweep?

louloubabs

Certified Doula
Reaction score
Hi girls,

I have an appt with my midwife tomorrow and I'm just wondering if it's likely she'll give me a sweep as I'm going to be 3 days overdue by tomorrow. With my DD I went into labour on her due date so I wasn't really expecting to go overdue :(

My midwife is pro-homebirth and knows how much it means to me to have my baby at home but is it standard to give a sweep once you're a couple of days overdue?

XxX:kiss:

It will depend on the MW but 3 days over is probably a little soon to be thinking about sweeps. I understand why you'd want one but it's likely that you'll go on your own well within the next 2 weeks. Even then your home birth isnt in jeopardy. Talk to the girls in the sticky thread at the top of the board - they will give you their thoughts and experiences on sweeps too. x

I was given a sweep at 40+3 with my first and went into labour that night. But i think my midwife was just really nice to me as i remember from last time having a different midwife and she saying if i went overdue i wouldnt get a sweep until 41 weeks.

I wouldnt worry though, you'll probably go on your own over the next week or two and it shouldnt affect your HB :) x
xx

I was told by my MW that MW's arent allowed to give sweeps until 41 weeks.

I got a sweep at 39 weeks from an OB then saw my MW at 40weeks adn she said no I couldnt have one from her until I was 41 weeks.

I curse ever doing it at 41 as that started labour and baby was back to back - it all went tits up from there lol!

Thanks girls. I'm just so paranoid about not going into labour myself and then not being able to have my homebirth.

I've lost bits of mucus plug and been having random contractions since Xmas Eve but nothing else is happening :( Booooooooooo!

LOTS is happening! Losing your plug means your cervix is changing so that's something and every random contraction is one less to do once things really get going! You WILL go on your own! You've done it before so why would your body forget?! Trust your clever body!! x

Thanks hun :) You've made me feel loads better :D Hopefully won't be too much longer :)

It will depend on her philosophy. MW's here don't do sweeps ofent, unless requested. 3 days over due is really nothing, and not really over due. Also, babies in the same family can be born very differently. ds1 was 41 weeks, ds2 was 39 weeks.

Remember you are only 3 days past your estimated due date. Try not to think of it as overdue, as it's really not. Your body will go into labour when it feels the time is right. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->