Will you use Cloth Diapers?

Wnt2beAMom

Reaction score
Anyone WTT who is thinking about cloth diapering?

I just did some internet searching and it really is a lot cheaper, especially if I just go with prefolds or fitted diapers with covers.

Does anyone have any advice?

I plan to use cloth diapers part time-not at daycare but on weekends and at home. We are going the covers and inserts route for convenience, and because I have seen it work well with my own eyes on several kids (I work at a daycare). No advice as I don't have an LO yet, but I like the hybrid system with microfiber inserts better than an all in one or pocket diaper because to me they seem to get cleaner easier and hold smells less as well as not leave baby's bottom feeling damp, but of course everyone and every baby is different.

Yep, will start with a fitted nappy and a wrap but will then swap to pocket nappys, all in ones and flips like I did with my daughter.

I plan to. But there are so many different types, I just don't know where to start looking at them!

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look (UK) and what I would need (quantities)? Thanks

The council where I live do a really cheap starter pack so I might try it but I'm dubious about the hassle so I'm willing to give it a go but think I'll mostly use disposables

I'm definitely going to give it a go, as I think they have come along way in terms of ease of use in comparison to years back

Yes definitely, I've been doing some research (bit early I know!!!) and I like the look of Bambino Mio, which is a 2part system. A friend of mine started off with reusable and really hated them thought, but we'll see!!!

I also want to try cloth, but it's very overwhelming I don't know where to start, I'm not sure if my council offers trail kits but I'm going to ask, also my mum wants to try and make some to see what they are like, she makes a lot of my DD's clothes so would be nice if she could.

I used cloth with my daughter and will definitely use them with number two as iv kept them! The 'Flip' was by far easiest and couldnt recommend them enough for beginners. Easy, dry quickly (if you use the microfibre inserts), not overly expensive system to buy as covers&inserts can be swapped/reused.

Cloth is a bit daunting when you've never used it, but its easy once its just your routine. I had the nappies made up in a basket so it was just like reaching for a sposie.

I wont use cloth in the beginning as the meconium poo is a nightmare. And i will use the eco sposies at night as never found a night nappy that worked for us. But on a whole if you cant be bothered to do a nappy wash you can fill in gaps with sposies. Some cloth is better than no cloth, and then when you're more confident with using them you wont want to use sposies as you realise the rashes/ chemicals/gel beads that end up on babys skin and how much more natural cloth is for your babys skin. Theres some scary components in disposables, one of which they removed from ladies tampons due to it being linked to toxic shock syndrome.

I used to work for my council doing the demo packs so if anyone wants to ask any questions feel free.

I think its fantastic you ladies are considering cloth already!!

Also i highly suggest hanging about the Natural Parenting board as the ladies there are always willing to give advice about cloth. Even just reading threads in there can help you gather an idea about how it all works.

Twiggy - you shouldn't have let on what an expert you are! You know you're going to get so many questions now! Where do you start? I've looked at a few websites, and there is just so many different types and different products and everything out there, I just don't know what I should be looking at. And what about quantities of the different parts - I can't seem to find anywhere that says about that?

I used cloth with my daughter and will definitely use them with number two as iv kept them! The 'Flip' was by far easiest and couldnt recommend them enough for beginners. Easy, dry quickly (if you use the microfibre inserts), not overly expensive system to buy as covers&inserts can be swapped/reused.

Cloth is a bit daunting when you've never used it, but its easy once its just your routine. I had the nappies made up in a basket so it was just like reaching for a sposie.

I wont use cloth in the beginning as the meconium poo is a nightmare. And i will use the eco sposies at night as never found a night nappy that worked for us. But on a whole if you cant be bothered to do a nappy wash you can fill in gaps with sposies. Some cloth is better than no cloth, and then when you're more confident with using them you wont want to use sposies as you realise the rashes/ chemicals/gel beads that end up on babys skin and how much more natural cloth is for your babys skin. Theres some scary components in disposables, one of which they removed from ladies tampons due to it being linked to toxic shock syndrome.

I used to work for my council doing the demo packs so if anyone wants to ask any questions feel free.

I never bothered with night nappys, I'd just boost a flip to hell lol. Organic insert, bamboo booster and then a micro-fibre insert worked for Niamh.

Woah, well I have just spent like 3 hours researching youtube videos and all the different brands and types of cloth diapers. I didn't think I would need to know so much! haha but I want to buy what will be effective and cost efficient. I find it is easy to just see someone cloth diapering and be like "oh, that's cool. Maybe I'll do that!" but actually following through and doing this research was over my head for a little bit. I found some good websites if anyone is interested in some info....

Different Types of cloth diapers:
https://theartofsimple.net/4-cloth-diapering-choices-defined/

How many you need to buy for your stash:
https://www.littletreehugger.ca/category_s/74.htm

Different Types of cloth diapers:
https://theartofsimple.net/4-cloth-diapering-choices-defined/

How many you need to buy for your stash:
https://www.littletreehugger.ca/category_s/74.htm

I've just had a quick look at those websites - they seem really helpful. Thanks

Twiggy - you shouldn't have let on what an expert you are! You know you're going to get so many questions now! Where do you start? I've looked at a few websites, and there is just so many different types and different products and everything out there, I just don't know what I should be looking at. And what about quantities of the different parts - I can't seem to find anywhere that says about that?

Not quite an expert anymore as there are always new products/designs coming out- the biggest retailers to look at are Bumgenius (american brand but readily available and popular in the UK) and also Totsbots are pretty popular. There are loooads of others but i found these brands always offered the nappy system most people liked. Bumgenius do a nappy called the 'Flip' which has been hugely popular with starter mums. Bumgenius also do 'pocket nappies' (waterproof cover with a hidden pocket to stuff in the insert (the absorbent removable part) can be adapted to suit your babys size/wetness level.
The Flip system has easy waterproof covers with velcro fastening (or snap fastening) that i found alot of mums gravitate to because its simplicity.
Most mums i had at demos that wanted to use cloth was to save money and environment and also for health reasons. Cloth nappies come in what they call a 'birth to potty' size where the nappy outer can grow in size with your baby so great value for money.
Best way is to watch videos and hang about the cloth nappy threads in Natural Parenting forum. Its a bit overwhelming at first, thats why i like to direct people towards the simpler systems. Then once confident you can explore all the funky fabrics/prints that the nappies come in.
I will link youtube video of the Flip as its harder to describe than to actually watch and see!

I never bothered with night nappys, I'd just boost a flip to hell lol. Organic insert, bamboo booster and then a micro-fibre insert worked for Niamh.

Yeah i did use a double microfibre for night when i had run out of sposies and it did hold out but was so heavy by morning she wasnt comfortable. I tried fitteds&wrap, pockets, AIO, the whole works to try get a night solution and i just never did. The eco sposies (Naturebabycare) were fab though so never felt the sposie guilt!

I would love to use cloth, my boyfriend us really freaked out by it though. I was actually cloth nappied as a baby, which was really unusual!

Quick look for a decent demonstration vid but this one seems to explain the basics for the pocket

https://youtu.be/Q9gjh6BGWpg

And this is the flip, basically the difference is if the cover is only a bit wet then it can be wiped down and re-used with a freah insert. So effectively you can have say 10covers and 20 inserts as a whole system. You lay the insert inside rather than stuffing.

https://youtu.be/WKvUFSetBP4

My daughter is nearly 8 months old and I have been using cloth nappies part time for her for 4 months now (disposables at night)
I'm saving so much money! Its $35-40 a box of Huggies disposables where I live and I only have to buy a box every 3 weeks :happydance:

Next baby I will be using cloths again :)

I'm going to use cloth nappies. Already got some of different kinds that I've won or gotten off freecycle. Have about 30 of varying styles and sizes and quality. Will be buying some new or lightly used online as well.

For cloth diaper vids, check out Heidi Kim and Obbs and Lala on yt. They know all.

Yes I will use them. I used them with my LO on and off too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->