Will your baby be...

I was really stuck on this as well.. plan on marrying my OH but you just never know, all my family is telling me to give him my last name. I did decide though to give him OH's last name because he is a wonderful person and will always be a part of his baby's life no matter what.

my DD took my last name but we double-barrelled it so its my last name forst then his cos he put up a fight, we broke up when she was 6 months old and I'm glad she had my last name first since he doesnt care about her and doesnt want to know this baby will also have my last name since they have the same dad and he hasnt even asked me about the pregnancy since i told him i was pregnancy, he doesnt even know I'm having a girl :dohh:

bub is definitely taking my last name.. me and OH arent together anymoree..dont plan on ever being together so its best bubby has my last name..

Mine, I don't want my LO with a different name to me :flower:

Our baby will have OH surname Hague. But I think it depends on your situation obviously if FOB isn't going to be around he shouldn't be allowed the privilege of having LO having his surname. Me and OH live together, and have been together for nearly 2 years, we were also TTC. xxx

I used my name until we were married. Yes, OHs family werent too amused but stuff them!

You're kinda stuck if you use OH's name and you split, as you need his permission to change it if you wish.

And if you do get married, its a lovely day for you all! Thats what we did and it made it all the more special.

I have a double barrelled surname + I absolutely hate it! Especially when you have to spell it out all the time at the hospital or dcotors.
Me + my sisters just use one last name so my mum + dad hyphenating it was a waste of time!
I wouldn't want that for my child, to hate her last name. She's having her daddy's name.
We planned on getting married before I found out I was pregnant, we've only put it on hold so she can be a part of it all when she's a little older.

Kenneth has my last name. My boyfriend and I weren't married at the time and I wasn't sure if we would ever get married. We broke up a few months after Kenneth was born, so I'm happy Ken has my last name now! :D

My sister was in a similar situation...she wants to make sure i dont regret them having his last name...but me and him are already talking about marriage idk...taking one day at a time...for now all im worried about is the health of my little one!!!

I think it's entirely your decision.
I know my situation is different because my FOB and I never spoke about marriage at all so I really wanted Kenneth to have my last name. I've had a few friends, one of which her FOB and her were together for 10 years, had a baby, gave the baby his last name.. and than a year later he completely vanished.. he didn't want anything to do with her or his son anymore. So now her LO is stuck with his last name and she's spent thousands of dollars hiring a lawyer to try and get the name back. IMO I think it's safe to give your LO your last name until you are married. It's so easy to switch it to your OH's last name, but if he's not a good dad or if he leaves and is not involved.. I'm sure you'd regret. Either way it's your decision :thumbup:

^ i agree. Plus anyone can talk about getting married and get engaged, but actually walking down the aisle seals that deal, til then theres no guarantees x x

Its definitely getting OH's name, I love his last name. It will be ____ Adams instead of _____ Prickett.

My LO will have my OH's last name, even if anything happens she will still be his child :)
Also ive got my dads name even tho my mum and dad wasnt married and spilt up when i was about 5. But im so glad ive got my dads name just becasue he's my dad ..

Deffinatly a personal choice tho and i see why people give there LO's there last name :)

LO has my name I never for a second considered anything else.
I am her main carer so it makes sense she has the same name as me. It's my name that will be on doctors/school forms
It's easy to change LO's name to OH's at a later date, unless OH agrees you can't change it back to yours if you split up.
I completely respect the whole 'he will still be LO's dad' but I just think she's MY child as well so why shouldn't it be mine :lol:
If you hadn't noticed this is something I feel very strongly about lol.

My Baby has OH's last name because we are engaged. Even if something does happen and we break up, he will always be in her life so I was ok with it.

LO will have my OH's last name...In my opinion, OH is always going to be LO's dad and nothing will change that! Don't worry about it too much now, you've still got aaaages to decide :flower:

I want LO to have OH's name but idk if we can do that with our age difference because the hospital reports it obviously..

My daughter will definitely be getting her daddy's last name. He and I have been engaged for over a year now, and are getting married this year. Even if some freak incident were to occur, and we didn't get married, I would still be very comfortable with her having OH's last name. He's going to be a wonderful father, and I want her to have his name.

It's a very personal and important decision. Make sure you don't let anyone else decide for you! Good luck! :flow:

Hey girlies. I was just reading on this as I was in this situation. To be honest everyone feels differently about this at every stage in life. Let me just give you my personal experience. I am going to be 24 next week, however I had my daughter when I was 15 and "in love". Now, unlike most people, I will not tell you that you can't be in love at that age. To this day I will say I loved my daughter's father with my whole heart and would have married him had he been good husband/father material. At the time I believed he was. I gave our daughter his last name. We were very on and off through the whole pregnancy and after her birth because he could not stay faithful nor did he want to accept what becoming a parent should mean. I am now married to someone else and we have a son together. My daughter lives with us and has had some issues with the fact that she is the only one of us with a different last name. She is too afraid to allow me to try to change it because what little she sees of her father, has her worried that he would stop loving her all together if she dared get rid of his last name. Blah blah blah long story short. It can't hurt a single thing to give your little one, your last name and then change it when you get married and change yours. That way IF for whatever reason things don't work out, you and your baby will have the same last name which is just another connection on top of everything else. I know that the father is always the father but many don't deserve the honor of their child carrying their last name. Sometimes that is a thing we find out after it's too late. Don't just take my word for it, look around you. Watch Teen Mom or 16 & Pregnant and see how many of those poor kids dads are actually there for them or deserve that honor as I said, of passing on their last name. It's not just a name sometimes. For those of you having boys, it will be the last name of your grandchildren as well, and for those having girls, it will be the name she carries until she gets married and even then she may choose to stay with her maiden name. Think about if that boy were to walk out on you 2, would you rather honor him, or yourself? Love to you all and I hope you all think it through before you decide. NO MATTER what you decide though, congrats to you all! There isn't a wrong choice really, just what is more comfortable for each person.

My baby will be taking my last name. because the father is completely out of the picture. hes told me he is goin to act like she isnt even his so i will act like that too :)

I don't know yet. I sort of want him/her to take FOB's name.

My boyfriends last name. I think it's messed up to give the baby the mothers last name if the dad is going to be taking care of and raising the child. If he skips out then at that point I consider it acceptable to use the mothers surname.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->