Woman Charged With Child Abuse After Appearing on Dr. Phil

xnmd1

mommmy of 1
Reaction score
https://blog.seattlepi.com/hottopics/archives/237420.asp

This was in my news paper today. This is a shortened version of the article (couldn't find the one I read online).
It also mentioned in my newspaper that she also punishes him by forcing exercise.

Her husband is a police officer, but aparently he is not being investigated, & none of her 5 children have been removed from her custody.

Do you think she deserves the child abuse charge?

It's only a misdameaner child abuse charge, I believe, and she wouldn't lose her kids over it.

Personally, I think she deserves the charges. It's cruel to force exercise. cold showers, hot sauce, and soap in your child's mouth. There's much more humane and effective forms of disipline IMHO. She need's to learn that it's not okay -- and hopfully this will show her that some of her forms of discipline are not okay.
-- Plus. This is what she did on video, on national television, to her child. If she's willing to treat her 7 year old like that on national TV .. what is she doing behind closed doors?

my dad was old fashioned and i once got the soap in my mouth for swearing. I would never do it to my son though as its too harsh and not effective. The hot sauce and cold shower and spankings are disgusting....thats just cruelty not firm dicipline...i dont agree with smacking...you can get your point across just fine with your mouth and i do agree with time out and taking away privelages as a form of punishment!!

the point....she deserves what she gets x

In a word yes!

I think it is difficult to say who deserves what, wether its cruel or not is subjective, but that's what the law is for to seek out the crime rather than the difference in parenting,

hopefully things will improve in her home life and she'll be able to change how she disciplines her children, I do feel sorry for her though with the press hounding on the story, its things like that get people labeled and make it hard for them to change and get on with their life (I don't mean the extreme stories, I think people should always know about tragedies and serious crime so that we can all learn from it) :flower:

That poor child. :cry:
I never understood how people could be mean like that to their own children, and now that I'm a mother, I understand it even less. I cannot imagine ever being purposely mean to Hana. :cry:

I watched the vid she made after. I wish I hadn't now, I cried. That poor boy was petrified. Yeah you shouldn't lie or get in trouble at school but you can't blame him for lying about it.

:shock: she deserves it! I don't see how anyone can do things like that.

she doesn't deserve to have kids all that just because he got in trouble at school its shocking what some parents do.
i hope the throw the book at her n send her down its cruel.
when i was younger n got in trouble my mom used to threaten with the soap in the mouth but never actually done it.
with my kids i wouldnt be able to do anything like that to them i dont see the whole point in smacking to teach them a lesson if anything i was told that it can make them worse and misbehave more.
like pp said you can get your point across and use your mouth to make a child listen to you and start behaving.

No two ways about it. That is child abuse. I would say take the children out of that environment. She's clearly lost control.

ETA, that poor child isn't even hers! He's a Russian orphan she adopted 2 years ago. That poor child has clearly been through a lot. He doesn't deserve this now :nope:

I think it is difficult to say who deserves what, wether its cruel or not is subjective, :

Is it though? There is surely a fairly clear cut line? That some people don't see it, or know where it is, is where it all goes wrong.

The woman needs to be punished for what she has done.

I wonder why he would have her on though, surely he should have taken one look and handed the tapes to the police:shrug:

I wonder why he would have her on though, surely he should have taken one look and handed the tapes to the police:shrug:

He should've. But at the same time, they're thinking about their ratings. Bad parents make good TV :shrug:

He probably knew that every one would kick up a stink so he wouldn't have to. It's a good way of making her realise it's wrong.

He should've. But at the same time, they're thinking about their ratings. Bad parents make good TV :shrug:

He probably knew that every one would kick up a stink so he wouldn't have to. It's a good way of making her realise it's wrong.

He's generally not so sensationalist as that though, is he?

I do agree though, that it might get through to her, and it will also reach others who think it's ok to act like that.

Watching the vid broke my heart. That poor poor boy.

He's generally not so sensationalist as that though, is he?

I do agree though, that it might get through to her, and it will also reach others who think it's ok to act like that.

Watching the vid broke my heart. That poor poor boy.

To be honest, I've never seen his show. I've watched the episode in question though. I just think most tv programmes are the same, they all want viewers.

I cried when I saw what she did to him. That poor child must be so confused :cry:

To be honest, I've never seen his show. I've watched the episode in question though. I just think most tv programmes are the same, they all want viewers.

I cried when I saw what she did to him. That poor child must be so confused :cry:

I used to watch it, but haven't for a good wee while now. They never seemed to 'ratings chase', the popularity came more from the 'Oprah' style than from the 'jerry springer' school of reality tv.

Of course any show that peeks into people's lives is voyeuristisee but the appeal of Dr Phil seems to be that people can relate to the guests rather than be entertained or shocked by them.

That is out and out cruelty. Yes she deserves to be brought up on charges, she is damaging that child. Those memories will remain with him for life.

I'm also wondering how old her other children are and if this isn't a pattern of behaviour, why they would stand by and watch.

I remember when I was about 9 or 10, my mum really lost her temper with my older brother for something he had done. She was generally a 'shouty' mum and although we'd get the occasional skelp, she was really laying in to him. Even at that young age, I shouted at her to stop and look what she was doing. She stepped back and was horrified, hugged us both and really apologised. She never did it again.

I'd like to see the full show because it seems that apparently the woman's police officer husband convinced her that the hot sauce and cold shower were appropriate punishments. So in my mind, he should be brought up on accessory charges as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->