Woman Charged With Child Abuse After Appearing on Dr. Phil

I'd like to see the full show because it seems that apparently the woman's police officer husband convinced her that the hot sauce and cold shower were appropriate punishments. So in my mind, he should be brought up on accessory charges as well!

yes, but it stated in the news paper that he wasn't under investigation at all :shrug:

I agree she needs help, and I think taking the steps to get to Dr phil for that help shows she knows that herself.

I'm not sure a child abuse charge for life is fair....I guess I've yet to experience teens and pre teens although I'm sure frustrations are a common thing. Sounds like she needs anger management help too. I feel sorry for the whole family to have to go through this. What she did is definitely wrong though, no child should have that done. She does need parenting help

The article said that she tried and tried the normal punishments (time-out type stuff) and it didn't work. She has 6 kids, I can imagine it was getting a bit desperate for her to the point where she would try almost anything. That's the point she should have gotten help, but she didn't.

I see this less as a "this evil monster woman, treating her poor child like that! How daaare sheeeee" and more of a "desperate woman looking for something, anything that would work".

I'm NOT saying she was right in what she was doing (if it was that bad, she should have gotten help), I'm just saying that I'm not in her shoes, so I'm not going to judge. I have no idea how she was feeling, and I bet there are some of us on this board who have been to some point where we had PND and didn't act like proper parents should, or we got so upset and frustrated that we did stupid things.

Maybe a bit less jumping on her in the 'how dare she' and more take this as a point to look at our own lives and admit that we are less than perfect.

that poor child isn't even hers! He's a Russian orphan she adopted 2 years ago.

I'd like to add that, even though I haven't adopted a child, I'm sort of offended by that statement, on behalf of every single parent who has adopted a child.

Just because the kid didn't grow in her uterus doesn't make it any less not hers.

The article said that she tried and tried the normal punishments (time-out type stuff) and it didn't work. She has 6 kids, I can imagine it was getting a bit desperate for her to the point where she would try almost anything. That's the point she should have gotten help, but she didn't.

I see this less as a "this evil monster woman, treating her poor child like that! How daaare sheeeee" and more of a "desperate woman looking for something, anything that would work".

I'm NOT saying she was right in what she was doing (if it was that bad, she should have gotten help), I'm just saying that I'm not in her shoes, so I'm not going to judge. I have no idea how she was feeling, and I bet there are some of us on this board who have been to some point where we had PND and didn't act like proper parents should, or we got so upset and frustrated that we did stupid things.

Maybe a bit less jumping on her in the 'how dare she' and more take this as a point to look at our own lives and admit that we are less than perfect.

being desperate because nothing else works is not a valid excuse for abusing her child . she still deserves to be punished.

and i will admit that i'm less than perfect, and bringing up jarrett i may not do everything right,and i mihgt get frustrated sometimes and yell at him.. but i can, in all honesty say, that i would never do anything to be intentionally cruel to him or to hurt him.

that poor child isn't even hers! He's a Russian orphan she adopted 2 years ago.

I'd like to add that, even though I haven't adopted a child, I'm sort of offended by that statement, on behalf of every single parent who has adopted a child.

Just because the kid didn't grow in her uterus doesn't make it any less not hers.

the point I believe she was making is that he's already been through so much, being a Russian orphan. And He does not deserve this too.

Hes already had a rough life ... he should have been adopted by someone who would show him nothing but love .. not force him to exercise and take cold showers and eat hot sauce :nope:

I think it is difficult to say who deserves what, wether its cruel or not is subjective, :

Is it though? There is surely a fairly clear cut line? That some people don't see it, or know where it is, is where it all goes wrong.

The woman needs to be punished for what she has done.

what I meant was its difficult to draw the line on things, for some people smacking is child abuse, for others putting soap in their mouth is and for others it might seem harsh, another example is for me if someone continually shouts a child on daily basis then its abuse for someone else they might think its just the mum being very stressed/they might think all parents shout, its difficult to say what she deserves without knowing why she did what she did, I'm not justifying it in any way but it brings up a lot questions on why people do things and if it should have a part in their sentencing :flower:

sorry it went into a waffle :haha: I hope it makes any sense!

I agree with the charges.

I was physically punished in an abusive way growing up (ie. punched in the head when I was little)

Her "punishment" is not meant to correct and change a bad behaviour (ie. a stern "NO" or hey, even a hand slapping which I personally disagree with but it's meant for immediate cause & effect). Her punishments are designed to humiliate the child and to degrade the child. That is abuse.

Ugh I started to watch the full video of her home video and I can't even finish it! The poor boy is just crying so hard I just want to reach through my computer and hold him and kiss him.

I wish that woman was in jail.

And just thought I'd add my two cents that this little boy isnt learning anything from holding hot sauce in his mouth or getting a cold shower. That IMO is a form of cruelty and its border line of something people would do to interrogate someone.

Now I don't have an issue with some spankings. More being as a quick way to get a kids attention, (Ie they are about to touch a hot stove so you quickly smack their hand away)

But giving physical pain JUST to give physical pain (as in not just to get their attention) Is pretty cruel.

I think I will save any sympathy I have for the children she forces to drink hot sauce and take ice cold showers when they are naughty. She is the one in control, she is the parent, if this is how she handles situations it is no wonder her kids are acting out.

It made me sick to see her torture her child with no emotion on her face whatsoever. My heart goes out to the children. :nope:

she deserves all she gets im sure she never had that done to her. I cant believe she has the guts to show that

she deserves all she gets im sure she never had that done to her. I cant believe she has the guts to show that

really.
if that's what she has the guts to show on TV, what else is she doing to that kid that she's to ashamed to show?:nope:

You wouldn't be allowed to force stuff like that on a adult so yes it is abuse.

Very weak parenting imo

I don't think there's any excuse for treating a child like that. IMO, it's a pretty clear cut case of child abuse. Like Aliss said, it's not punishing the poor child, it's humiliating and degrading him.
I don't care how desperate someone is, or how many kids they have - that is a disgusting way to treat a child.

I think the boy was adopted too, not her biological child and might have been in orphanage

what a cruel woman. i think she deserves it it might make her think about what shes doing to her kids.

<3

I watched it when it aired. The child is actually a twin and the twin boy gets treated like a prince pretty much compared to how she treats the other :( Dr. Phil had said on the show that he would lie and what not too if it meant POSSIBLY getting away with whatever it was that he did so as to not get a cold shower or hot sauce.

And just thought I'd add my two cents that this little boy isnt learning anything from holding hot sauce in his mouth or getting a cold shower. That IMO is a form of cruelty and its border line of something people would do to interrogate someone.

Now I don't have an issue with some spankings. More being as a quick way to get a kids attention, (Ie they are about to touch a hot stove so you quickly smack their hand away)

But giving physical pain JUST to give physical pain (as in not just to get their attention) Is pretty cruel.

This is honestly nothing against you because I "get" why people use spankings, although I feel it's not something I would be comfortable doing...but think about what you just typed.

Does this mean if the woman tried justifying her methods by saying, "I don't do it to give physical pain, I do it to get his attention" that it would make things different? I'm sorry, but spanking (as a general term) DOES inflict physical pain, even if only briefly, to be fair.

Again...nothing personal, but I needed to point that out if you read that statement as it is typed.

Also, in reference to using spanking for certain things, like a child about to touch a hot stove...can a firm and simple, "NO! That's hot!" whilst pulling them away not send the same message? Not saying anything you do is wrong, just trying to clarify if an alternative isn't just as effective?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->