Woman Charged With Child Abuse After Appearing on Dr. Phil

I haven't read anyone elses comments but I found this so disturbing to watch. She was firing questions at him when he had the sauce in his mouth but he couldn't answer for fear of what would happen if he spat it out. He was hysterical in that shower and it was almost like she was goading him. She has obviously made this video public herself but I am not entirely convinced it was for the reasons she says it was or more for the attention/fame. If it was then it has seriously backfired.

I wouldn't treat anyone like this, let alone a child!!

I'd like to add that, even though I haven't adopted a child, I'm sort of offended by that statement, on behalf of every single parent who has adopted
I think it just came out wrong. I read the sentiment as, this boy has been through enough and if you adopt a child with issues, you should be very careful.

what I meant was its difficult to draw the line on things, for some people smacking is child abuse, for others putting soap in their mouth is and for others it might seem harsh, another example is for me if someone continually shouts a child on daily basis then its abuse for someone else they might think its just the mum being very stressed/they might think all parents shout, its difficult to say what she deserves without knowing why she did what she did, I'm not justifying it in any way but it brings up a lot questions on why people do things and if it should have a part in their sentencing :flower:

sorry it went into a waffle :haha: I hope it makes any sense!
I understand what you are saying, but I don't agree. There is a difference between 'I would never' and 'she shouldn't be'

If you saw a parent shouting at the child and the child was crying, you'd think "I would never". But if you saw a parent screaming, and the child was cowering with abject fear and the language being used went beyond the usual parental rant, you"d think "they shouldn't be". Similarly, seeing a child being spanked is quite different from seeing a child being beaten. That the parent knows no better or can't distinguish the difference is no excuse. Sure they might need help, but as grown adults, they are responsible for their actions and deserve to be punished.
Also, in reference to using spanking for certain things, like a child about to touch a hot stove...can a firm and simple, "NO! That's hot!" whilst pulling them away not send the same message? Not saying anything you do is wrong, just trying to clarify if an alternative isn't just as effective?

I think it depends on the child, and probably on the parents. But to me the point is, it isn't against the law, nor considered to be abuse. Abby is too young to even consider us spanking, but I can see that so far, strong words seem to be ineffective. Whether we will smack or not, I don't know, but if she doesn't start to respond to harsh words, I'm not sure what the next step will be. Maybe I should call Dr Phil:haha:

Also, in reference to using spanking for certain things, like a child about to touch a hot stove...can a firm and simple, "NO! That's hot!" whilst pulling them away not send the same message? Not saying anything you do is wrong, just trying to clarify if an alternative isn't just as effective?

I think it depends on the child, and probably on the parents. But to me the point is, it isn't against the law, nor considered to be abuse. Abby is too young to even consider us spanking, but I can see that so far, strong words seem to be ineffective. Whether we will smack or not, I don't know, but if she doesn't start to respond to harsh words, I'm not sure what the next step will be. Maybe I should call Dr Phil:haha:

In fairness, I think strong words with any 'under 3' would be ineffective if they were only used on their own. At these ages they're still learning and testing boundaries and I think (unfortunately) for us parents, it turns into a game of having to constantly remind them and physically take them away from the danger or distract them.

I don't think I know anyone whose baby or toddler always stop at "no" and don't have a cheeky go again. But it's part of what we expect in this territory, isn't it? We can't expect from day 1 they will just obey "because we said so."

If only it were so easy! ::sigh::

Hmmm, that made me really sad. I don't understand why you would go through the bother of adopting children if you are going to treat them horribly. All children will be 'naughty' and lie at some point, the way she is punishing that little boy is just wrong.

Oh :nope: How heartbreaking, poor little boy

I watched it when it aired. The child is actually a twin and the twin boy gets treated like a prince pretty much compared to how she treats the other :( Dr. Phil had said on the show that he would lie and what not too if it meant POSSIBLY getting away with whatever it was that he did so as to not get a cold shower or hot sauce.
That makes it even worse :cry::growlmad:

she deserves all she gets im sure she never had that done to her. I cant believe she has the guts to show that

really.
if that's what she has the guts to show on TV, what else is she doing to that kid that she's to ashamed to show?:nope:

i truly believe that she does worse stuff to him behind camaras
Me too. I think action should definitely be taken against her because if its not, what if that little boy died?? I mean she was willing to show that on tv! What the hell is she doing that she doesnt want to show? Seems like a cry for help to me

that poor child isn't even hers! He's a Russian orphan she adopted 2 years ago.

I'd like to add that, even though I haven't adopted a child, I'm sort of offended by that statement, on behalf of every single parent who has adopted a child.

Just because the kid didn't grow in her uterus doesn't make it any less not hers.

I apologise for the wording of that part. I was angry and didn't think about it.

But what I meant was that he isn't hers biologically. And being adopted from Russia, he's probably been through an awful lot. He doesn't need to be subjected to treatment like this from a woman he's only known for two years.

Aww poor kid!

Although when i was younger for swearing my mum put soap in my mouth and hot sauce, and sometimes pepper if she didn't have the other two at hand

In fairness, I think strong words with any 'under 3' would be ineffective if they were only used on their own. At these ages they're still learning and testing boundaries and I think (unfortunately) for us parents, it turns into a game of having to constantly remind them and physically take them away from the danger or distract them.

I don't think I know anyone whose baby or toddler always stop at "no" and don't have a cheeky go again. But it's part of what we expect in this territory, isn't it? We can't expect from day 1 they will just obey "because we said so."

If only it were so easy! ::sigh::

This is where we struggle. Her tantrums (which have resulted in her starting to bite us) are about her not being able to get to what she wants to (she can't crawl or walk) She throws things away in a temper (including her dinner) and it is about her frustration at being stuck in her body. We use sharp words and explain why she shouldn't, but physically removing her doesn't really have any meaning to her, as that is how she gets from A to B anyway, although when she plays up in the high chair, I have started taking her out and sitting her in the living room floor alone. However, last time I did that, she just threw herself back on the pillows we have to put down behind her, and lay there quite happily.

My child has no "currency!!" If I thought smacking would help, I'd try it, but I don't think it would.

I'd certainly never consider forcing her to eat hot sauce or taking a cold shower.

Absolutely, she deserved it. Disciplining a child is not about invoking fear in them otherwise all they learn is to be scared. That, to me IS child abuse and you can't hide behind good intentions. It's very very sad that this sort of thing goes on and now I just want to up to my son's room get him out of his cot and cuddle him with all my might :cry: I can't comprehend why somebody would want to purposefully hurt their own child when the need to protect them and keep them safe should be naturally inbuilt into you. Makes me feel sick when I think of my son being hurt. xx

To be honest, I've never seen his show. I've watched the episode in question though. I just think most tv programmes are the same, they all want viewers.

I cried when I saw what she did to him. That poor child must be so confused :cry:

I used to watch it, but haven't for a good wee while now. They never seemed to 'ratings chase', the popularity came more from the 'Oprah' style than from the 'jerry springer' school of reality tv.

Of course any show that peeks into people's lives is voyeuristisee but the appeal of Dr Phil seems to be that people can relate to the guests rather than be entertained or shocked by them.

I disagree. I hate dr phil, he's just the same as the rest. There's an episode on an anorexic girl and its horrible to watch. She needs professional help, not put on dr phil :growlmad:

To be honest, I've never seen his show. I've watched the episode in question though. I just think most tv programmes are the same, they all want viewers.

I cried when I saw what she did to him. That poor child must be so confused :cry:

I used to watch it, but haven't for a good wee while now. They never seemed to 'ratings chase', the popularity came more from the 'Oprah' style than from the 'jerry springer' school of reality tv.

Of course any show that peeks into people's lives is voyeuristisee but the appeal of Dr Phil seems to be that people can relate to the guests rather than be entertained or shocked by them.

I disagree. I hate dr phil, he's just the same as the rest. There's an episode on an anorexic girl and its horrible to watch. She needs professional help, not put on dr phil :growlmad:

Yeah i've seen that one and wondered what good it did to have her sat in front of a studio pouring her heart out, with Dr Phil asking patronising questions like "GUYS, DO YOU THINK THIS GIRL IS FAT" audience obediently yell "NOOO!" (If its the same one I'm thinking of :p) Like thats gonna change her mindset

i dont think any child deserves to be treated that way. i love my kids and i would never hurt them

Yeah i've seen that one and wondered what good it did to have her sat in front of a studio pouring her heart out, with Dr Phil asking patronising questions like "GUYS, DO YOU THINK THIS GIRL IS FAT" audience obediently yell "NOOO!" (If its the same one I'm thinking of :p) Like thats gonna change her mindset

:nope: did he atleast send her to some sort of treatment facility in the end?

My dad smacked me as a child, and sometimes it would just be for stupid reasons. I would never lay a hand on Amelia and I told my husband I would kill him if he did either.

My Mum on the other hand would be the one you listened too and she never smacked, so that proves you can discipline without scaring your child witless.

when i was young i had a few smacks from my dad but they wernt bad ones... but like above poster my mum was the one we listned too and wouldnt miss behave so u dont need to use those things as disapline i will not be smacking my child at any point in his life and i think its disgusting, soap, hot sauce cold showers this is not disapline it is scaring and scareing th poor child.

in my opinon lots of kids mis behave at some point its part of being a child, yes i agree that children need disapline when there naughty but nothing that will hurt them!!! i personally agree with super nannys solutions to bad behaviour!!!
sorry for the long message it just broke my heart watching that poor child..... when she said dont spit it at me i would have spat it right at her the evil woman xx

She deserves everything she gets, which prob wont be much.

V xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"