Womb noise/ white noise for baby

apple_20

Mum of two
Reaction score
Hi so this baby will be my second and we didn't really use white noise with our son until he was older. I was hoping to get a white noise machine or a toy that plays womb sounds.

Who has used these from newborn and which do you prefer? I love the look of Ewan the dream sheep and that he is portable but doesn't he auto turn off after a bit?

Would I be best getting a white noise machine for night time ?

Thanks for reading any advise would be great x

I like both. Ewan is great for portability and napping when they're little, but we have a Marpac Dohm white noise machine for night time. The best of both worlds :)

We have ewan. Love him. He switches off after about 15 or 20 mins but it's enough for ds to get to sleep and he doesn't need it all night

Thanks for the feedback. Does Ewan have a strap to hold him on the cot/pushchair?

I didn't like ewan since it wasn't loud enough to block my loud toddler's noises so I bought the regular sound machine https://www.amazon.com/Marpac-DOHM-...&qid=1408643994&sr=8-4&keywords=sound+machine
it's pretty good and my daughter still has hers in working condition since birth, I actually used it with her again when new bubs woke up at night and it blocked all his screamfests at night. When I did turn it off, my daughter complained that Greyson kept her up all night (they sleep in separate rooms)

Was that with the volume turned up Ianaross? Just reading reviews says it has an adjustable volume?

I have a toddler too so I'm thinking a white noise machine for my toddlers took might be useful

Another Marpac Dohm machine here, have used it since birth for Alex. It's brilliant, sounds out the noise of his very noisy older brother. I keep it on all night and for his nap too, it does have adjustable volume. We had a Ewan sheep and he loved the harp noise but would always wake after it shut off after 20 mins. Plus it eats batteries!

I'm all about saving money, so I just found a white noise video on YouTube that played for several hours, and then played it on my Kindle Fire near her. :haha:

Thanks for the feedback. Does Ewan have a strap to hold him on the cot/pushchair?

Yes, his tail is a Velcro strap.

To answer another of your questions, the volume is adjustable, but only low or high. It is not very loud even on high, but the sounds are very soothing. He does eat batteries as a previous poster mentioned. And he goes for 20 minutes at a time and then turns off. This works well when they're little, but often when they are older it wakes them when it turns off.

If I was going to get one or the other, I'd go with the white noise machine. The Marpac Dohm one is great. I'm listening to it right now as our LO is co-sleeping with us and is already asleep next to me :)

Was that with the volume turned up Ianaross? Just reading reviews says it has an adjustable volume?

I have a toddler too so I'm thinking a white noise machine for my toddlers took might be useful

yes but it's really soft and soothing, so it's great for the first baby when it's just you and your hubby but when you have a toddler and your new baby is trying to sleep, it's not powerful enough to block out all the commotion :)

I'm all about saving money, so I just found a white noise video on YouTube that played for several hours, and then played it on my Kindle Fire near her. :haha:

Yup we have a blackberry tablet for his room with a white noise app. The noise runs continuously until we turn it off, it's great! Portable and eventually when we decide we r ready for screen time he can use it for learning games too

I did use the white noise app on my phone with DS for a while but it was annoying as it meant I couldn't use my phone.

I'm defo going to invest in the white noise machine for night time it's just debate as to whether we get a portable toy too. Maybe I'll see if a grandparent wants to buy her one :)

Another question for you.

Is there any difference between the white noise machines like marpac dohom (£50+) and another machine (£10) or even the free white noise apps? Just seems like a big price difference!

I have the sound sleeper app which plays for 30 mins for free. Fantastic so far! X

Another vote for the Marpac Dohm here. We've used the Cloud B sleep sheep and white noise audio from a YouTube video, and nothing else has proven to be as effective with DD as the a Dohm. She always calms down as soon as we turn it on? It's like magic! :haha:

Another question for you.

Is there any difference between the white noise machines like marpac dohom (£50+) and another machine (£10) or even the free white noise apps? Just seems like a big price difference!

The Marpac Dohm makes noise by blowing air, rather than just playing a sound. So it makes a nice constant sound that sort of 'fills the room' and does a great job of screening out background noise. We had construction going on in one part of our house and I was able to get my LO to nap with the Marpac going- it drowned out the hammering and banging, even. You might check eBay or other sources for a used one as they are pretty robust and you might save money that way.

I agree with pp, it fills the room and really filters out other noise. Alex also napped right through building work we had done last month, a builder hammering out bricks and drilling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->