Wondering if I'm miscarrying...

CourtneyLynne

Reaction score
I am currently 5 weeks 5 days according to fertility friend. My doctor says they won't even see me until I am 8 weeks for my first visit, which I can kind of understand. BUT (and it's a BIG BUT) she hasn't run blood work on me yet. So, since I work in a medical office, I had blood work done on my own to confirm. This doesn't necessarily sit well with me that I had to do this, but I'm not sure if it's normal procedure, when I hear from so many that it is not. I've been going to this doctor since 2004 so I feel comfortable with her and she has an excellent reputation.

Thursday (4/2) around 9 pm I had some moderate cramping. I have a history of endometriosis and ovarian cysts, so I know female pain. It was tolerable and lasted maybe 5-10 mins then went away. I had been on my feet all day, so I assumed that could be the cause.

Friday (4/3) we went shopping and when I went to the bathroom and wiped I saw some brown blood. I tried calling my doctor but the office was already closed. I went home and noticed more blood when I wiped again. Same situation. At this point I'm concerned, and decide to wait until morning to make a decision on what to do.

I tried the office again this morning (they are closed for Easter weekend, usually open half of a day on Saturday). I decide to relax, put my feet up, and wait it out.

But now I'm having more light cramping, and the same light brown bleeding. Nothing red at all.

In the interest of full disclosure we did fool around without actual penetration yesterday morning.

A friend tells me I should go to the ER to ease my mind, but I'm questioning if I should. Would they be able to tell I'm miscarrying at this point? If so, how could they? I'm fairly sure the baby wouldn't have a heart beat visible on ultrasound just yet.

I'm so unsure because I'm reading things online saying cramping is normal, a little blood can be normal, but together they're a problem.

Any thoughts on the OB, the ER, the bleeding, or this whole thing would be so appreciated!!!

Thanks y'all!!

Hi Hun-

First of all - brown spotting is normal. I had this last week for a few days intermittently. I also had some very light cramping with it as well (nothing painful). I went for a scan on Wednesday and everything is just fine. My Dr. said that 30% of women spot during the 1st tri and that brown blood is old blood - which is probably left over from when baby implanted. He said it was nothing to worry about. Since then my spotting has mostly stopped. I'd try to get in on Monday to ease your mind - it was the only thing that eased mine a bit. Hope this helps!

After having 2 mc's, 1 with 1 embryo, 1 with twins that I lost at 5 & 8 weeks, brown is fine, when you see enough red to fill a pad, something is wrong. Unfortunately under 7 weeks they can't see much on an u/s and therefore will tell you to let nature take it's course. My doc said when you see red, get yourself horizontal as it slows bleeding. That's the only advice they have under 7 weeks. Over 7 weeks they can see pole, yolk sac, heartbeat and any sub chorionic hemoragging on u/s. I always tell myself, the body is smart, if there's something wrong with baby your body will know what to do, it could be that your baby is digging in deep for the long haul. Either way, put some funny movies on and rest. Get lots of sleep and I'm sure things will work out ok for you.

Red bleeding doesnt always mean anything is wrong. At 5.5 weeks i had some red spotting so it was light and only lasted a couple hrs. I had no cramping. I didnt bother calling anyone as if something was wrong at 5.5 weeks you cant see anything on us and you can stop it if its a mc. So i just relaxed for the rest of the day, and now at almost 16 weeks i still have a healthy baby.

But its very normal to have brown or red blood at that stage in pregnancy. You wouldnt believe the number of people who do. Its like a late implantation bleeding. Just rest up. They say if its not enough to fill a pad in an hour its ok. But honestly if it is going to land in a mc there is nothing you can do to stop it. But anytime you get any kind of bleeding you need to rest.

I honestly wouldn't jump to the idea that you are miscarrying. Since the blood is brown there is a fair chance it is old implantation blood. Light bleeding and cramps are very common in early pregnancy.
In miscarriage, often times it is heavy bleeding, usually red blood with severe cramping, not always, but that is the more common experience.

In my last pregnancy I had a really big bleed, bright red, clots cramping all the bad sighns and was given a scan... Everything was fine my son is playing in his room just now.... Its so difficult not to worry xx but try not to.

I've been spotting since 6+2. I'm 8+4 today and have had two scans in between and everything is perfect! In fact yesterday I heard the heart beat and saw little leg nubbins kicking!!!! My sister is 1 day ahead of me and also been spotting as well. I think it's normal unless it gets bright red and clotty! Good luck!!

Your right around the time that you could be experiencing some implantation bleeding. I had that too around 5 weeks. Happened two days and then stopped.
Best to call or go into urgent care for review. As long as your not having side pain or severe cramping, things could be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->