Won't be getting an appointment until closer to 8-9 weeks

chocolatechip

Reaction score
My doctor just recommended me to a prenatal clinic but they said they won't be able to see me until mid-November and that will bring me to somewhere between 8-10 weeks.

Is it okay that my first appointment/ultrasound will not be until then?

This is my first pregnancy (and who knows if I'll even make it that far) but I just want to know that this is typical.

Yes, that is typical practice at both obgyn offices that I have been to. Even with being high risk they won't see me until then.

My obgyn told me they schedule first appointments between 7-9 weeks. I think this is pretty typical. Sometimes you'll be seen early if issues arise but otherwise that's the usual time frame.

Around here it's 10-12 weeks. I chose an ob annhour away because they donthe first appointment and ultrasound at 8weeks haha

I won't have my first appointment until 8 weeks, either. Even though I'm high risk and after 3 miscarriages. :/ My old office saw me at 6, but this one insisted on 8.

Dont worry hun! My first appt/ultrasound is on the 8th week. They do it this time of weeks so they can by then for sure see a baby and a heartbeat.

Not sure where you are based but in the U.K. the first midwife appointment is at 8 weeks and the first scan not until 12 weeks, so seems like you are all good having your first scan at 8 weeks :) You guys in the US are so lucky getting earlier scans! I was looking at local private 'reassurance' scans with my friend but they are expensive! I don't know many people personally who pay for them here, so generally it's hang on until 12 weeks!

I'm in the UK and traditionally your first scan is around 12 weeks and your booking in appointment is around 8 weeks. I've had an appointment and scan already and will have another scan at 8 weeks and an appointment at 9 weeks due to multiple losses after my son. But I've been really lucky with this is understand.

Don't worry though, I'm sure everything will go smoothly :)

Agreed that it depends on the office or country. I know you see a lot of 5-6 weeks scans on here, but you have to keep in mind that a lot of woman on ttc boards are women who are long term ttc or have had losses. Even with my history, my doctors don't schedule me until 8-10 weeks, and Kaiser really tries to push you to wait until at least 9. All of my early scans were emergency scans due to pain and bleeding. Had they been healthy, I wouldn't have seen my gyn until 8/9 weeks each time. Congrats on your pregnancy!

Here in New Zealand it seems that we get our midwife appts as early as possible as otherwise they book up and it's difficult to find one (all maternity care is usually MW led, unless you're high risk or going private).
Early scans are a bit hit and miss....most people tend to have them but some MWs won't refer for one if you know conception/LMP dates, as technically the early scans are dating scans.

Last pregnancy I had my first scan at just about 6 weeks and I wish I had waited longer - there was no heartbeat and there may not be that early on, so there was another scan scheduled a week and a half later and the whole process just dragged out. I ended up having a MMC and in retrospect I wish I had had a scan later as then there would have been less doubt/anguish.

This time due to me being away on a conference I won't even have my first MW appt until I am nearly 7 weeks and so will be asking for a dating scan at ~8weeks - hoping I'll get one as my MW knows of my previous loss and I'm not sure on ov dates due to this only being my second cycle after my MC. I really don't want to have to wait until 12 weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->