Won't eat meat

Olivia wont eat meat and nothing I have tried has worked. I just keep putting some on her plate and hope that she may try some. I just make sure she gets lots of other sources of protein in her diet :)

My lo really likes chilli concarnie

I cook carrots, red pepers, onion, celery with the mince then grind it all to make ground beef. Then add mixed beans. She thinks its brilliant and doesnt know shes getting all the veg plus meat in one serving. :tumbup:

I also make curries and blend some of the meat with the vegies above to make into the sauce. SO she thinks shes like only eating the sauce and some potato but shes getting meant and a load of other stuff to.

We did this when mine went though a phase of not wanting meat. It was like many phases and stopped as soon as it started

Tegan is vegetarian. Through her choice, not ours! She just doesn't like meat.
Don't worry about it! make sure LO gets everything she needs through other foods, and keep offering meat.

emily's not a huge fan of meat either
she'll eat chicken every now and again but most
days she wont touch the meat on her plate
she'll eat sea food like prawns crabsticks etc
but not cooked fish :wacko: but then she eats
ALOT of fruit and cheese and still likes warm milk
so i suppose she makes up for it

i still put it on her plate though she might try
it one day but i'm not fussed she eats quite well

most kiddies go through phases of liking then
hating things just make sure she's a good mixture
and you'll be fine

:flower:

We're a vegetarian family, and the doctor says that's just fine -- doesn't hurt our toddler at all. Just so long as she's getting plenty of other sources of iron and protein, meat's really not necessary. Fruits and vegetables are much more important!

Does she eat pulses, lentils, fish?

In what forms do you give her the meat in (how is it cooked)?

She does not eat a lot of pulses (neither do we)- she will eat kidney beans, beans, peas, chickpeas if they are in hummous. No lentils although as she loves soup so I could easily make lentil soup (thank you, hadn't thought of that!) She likes fish. We have meat on its own (roasted, etc) and in things like mince /stews/ casseroles. Amy ideas gratefully received!

Today she outright refused all meat again. Am trying to think it is okay but find it very worrying. Emma's phases tend to last a long time!

Have you tried the likes of Quorn to see if she prefers that? Kaya prefers Quorn ham to real ham.

Lizzie went through a stage of not being terribly interested in 'sliced' meat, so to speak. The cat was doing wonderfully well on organic chicken!! To be honest, she's not hugely bothered now! Especially with roasts.

I found, as NibbleNic has said, almost 'disguising' meat works wonders...cottage pie, pasta sauces, lasagne, little shish style kebabs with plenty of other flavours were all well
received-I make them with minced lamb and fired apricot, spinach and herbs slow cooked in a sauce.

She likes chicken and meats if they are in sauces - so pies are often a popular option.

Sardines have tonnes of iron-Lizzie loves them, could be worth a try? Bean stews?

Not liking meat is common - normally the texture/chewiness.

How do you give her the stews/casseroles (these are a better bet because they are generally moister)? Have you tried "shredding" the chicken/meat in the casseroles (I do this after it is all cooked, i.e. when I am reheating)? This is what I do for my son and works really well. I tend to give him a little shredded meat/chicken on a spoonful of casserole/stew vegs and baked potato: disguises the texture/chewiness - which is what they tend not to like. I also tend to heavily "show cook" - so all of the meat is "melt in the mouth" too.

Have you tried individual "cottage/shepherds pies" (heavy on the potato and finely chopped veg and sauce, light on the "well broken up" mince...)?

Does she eat eggs? Scrambled eggs (etc) are a great source of both iron and protein. Omelettes, pancakes, eggy bread, egg mayo sandwiches etc.

Great that she eats fish - that is really good.

QT

She does not eat a lot of pulses (neither do we)- she will eat kidney beans, beans, peas, chickpeas if they are in hummous. No lentils although as she loves soup so I could easily make lentil soup (thank you, hadn't thought of that!) She likes fish. We have meat on its own (roasted, etc) and in things like mince /stews/ casseroles. Amy ideas gratefully received!

Today she outright refused all meat again. Am trying to think it is okay but find it very worrying. Emma's phases tend to last a long time!

Haven't tried sardines or quorn. Good things for the next week. Thanks!

QTPie, I hadn't even thought of shredding the meat in casseroles. She loves my homemade yorkies and shredded meat on them would be much easier for her to eat (I hope). I have an ongoing battle making the meat in my stews 'melt in mouth'. It always seems to be still quite firm..grrrr.

Emma does like eggs- scrambled and eggy bread are favourites. Omelettes are a hit or miss but can be good if with cheese. Haven't tried egg mayo- I hate eggs but Andy likes them so I will make egg mayo sandwiches for them both for lunch tomorrow. Thank you!

Lamb shoulder cooked really slowly goes beautifully shreddy-a good cut for toddler meat disguising, I've found :D

I think it is probably the texture/chewiness then.

Choose good meat (does make a different), don't cut the lumps too big (although not tiny) and cook on a fairly low heat (160'C/170'C - your oven may vary) for quite a long time (I can do 2.5hrs for chicken, 3.5 hours for beef/pork). Google "slow cooker" recipes and pick some which give an "oven" method? Ot consider getting a slow cooker? Getting the meat "melt in the mouth", then shredding it makes a HUGE difference - or does for my son anyway :thumbup:

QT

Haven't tried sardines or quorn. Good things for the next week. Thanks!

QTPie, I hadn't even thought of shredding the meat in casseroles. She loves my homemade yorkies and shredded meat on them would be much easier for her to eat (I hope). I have an ongoing battle making the meat in my stews 'melt in mouth'. It always seems to be still quite firm..grrrr.

Emma does like eggs- scrambled and eggy bread are favourites. Omelettes are a hit or miss but can be good if with cheese. Haven't tried egg mayo- I hate eggs but Andy likes them so I will make egg mayo sandwiches for them both for lunch tomorrow. Thank you!

I use a slow cooker and buy good meat. Am thinking I do not make the meat small enough in the first place. Hmm, interesting thought! Stews are my bete noire- I never get them right- watery gravy and chewy meat! I have no idea what I do wrong!

Do you so them in the oven or on the hob? I find the finished result better in the oven. Alternatively, maybe slow roast a piece of meat-lamb does work so well-and add to a veggie casserole, ratatouille or something similar?

Hob then slow cooker. Think I must put in too much liquid to start. Back to the drawing board in the morning.

have you tried using the food processor to blitz up some of the meat? i.e when making a lasagne, you could make the mince/onion/tomato mixture and then blend it before layering up with white sauce as pasta sheets? this also seems to make the meat more tender after its been in the oven

or how about some meat filled tortellini?

I think this is quite common. Amelie leaves meat too. She sometimes will eat a slice of ham in her sandwich but its very rare. She eats around the meat (like in pasta she'll be left with a bowl of chicken then she'll take it to the bin and chuck it!) and doesnt really eat it if I try and hide it either (like mince and tatties or something).

Lamb shoulder cooked really slowly goes beautifully shreddy-a good cut for toddler meat disguising, I've found :D

It's Omar's fav. It's very tender & easy to chew. Omar eats lamb meat but he doesnt like beef as it's chewy for him & he ends up spitting it out.

He also loves lamb meat in stews with veggies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->