Work at home... dad?

apreslaube

Reaction score
So I've always known that staying home with my baby (versus daycare) was really important to me. Unfortunately, at this juncture in my life, it just won't work for me to work from home. My job/career type just doesn't allow for it. My husband and I want to get a business started by next year, so hopefully we will be able to just have that in like 4 years or so and our child can come with us there then, but there's no way we are waiting that long for a child. Not even the slightest bit of on option.

Anyway, my husband's background DOES allow him to relatively easily find a work from home / telecommuting type job. **We are moving out of state in a few months, hence the need for both of us to find new jobs**.

What I realized then, is that HE could stay at home with our child and work (with a babysitting helper as needed) while I work out of the home.

Does anyone here have that sort of arrangement or know of anyone that does? What do you think of it? We are definitely the kind of people that do our own thing and don't really care if people approve, but are we setting ourselves up for constant criticism or anything?

**Also, if we work it out this way, we could start TTC a bit earlier, which I would definitely want!**

My DH is a stay at home dad! There are LOTS of stay at home dad's out there now! He has been staying at home for the last 4 years and is now starting to talk about going back to school. It's not for some men though. My DH is great at it because he cleans, cooks, does laundry, and does a great job with our 2 busy boys!

Dh was at home with ds while I worked full time when ds was 1 for 3 months as he lost his job.
He was fantastic with ds but didn't do much in the way of chores etc.
I do know that he's not very good at multitasking though and wouldn't be able to do work at the same time as caring for a child.
All men are different though.
Xx

Stay at home (and work at home) dads are becoming more common. :) My ex and I had planned for him to stay at home and go to college after I finished college and got a job.

I would like my OH to be a stay-at-home dad (instead of putting the kids in daycare), but he will be the main breadwinner so it's not possible. :(

I think some people may criticize you for going that option, but people always have some something to be critical about, so I wouldnt worry about it. As long as you and your OH are happy and it works for you, thats all that matters. :flower:

I don't know why people would criticise you (I'm in the UK so might be a cultural difference), I know several SAHD's or dads who share the childcare (my friend does 2 days working from hom and looks after his DD, and his wife is at home the rest of the time) and no one criticises them. I know traditionally mothers stay at home but that doesn't mean its always the right decission for a family, and if your DH being a SAHD works best for you guys then its right for you!

Thanks so much for your kind comments. I am starting to get really excited. If all works out (God willing), we should be able to start TTC in December of this year, rather than about April of next year, which is what I was thinking. I'm applying for jobs in WI right now because we are moving this summer.

Something that is making me super happy about, is that as we get closer to moving, my husband is talking more and more about our future child. As we are hoping for a girl for many reasons, we talk about her like she already exists. We want Anastasia too... I wonder if Anastasia will... LOL. I'm like yayyyy!!! I'm super excited because I work with a teenage boy with autism. His mom is being induced today (crappy pregnancy unfortunately) and is having a GIRL. We (me and OH work with them together) spend time with the family about 3 times a week. Yay for constant baby-ness!!! LOL

Anyway, thank you all again for what you've said. I really needed it. I worry :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->