Work / Life after baby

MissYogi

Expecting #1
Reaction score
Thought I would post this and hear what other ladies are hoping to do or are already doing after having babies. I really hope to be able to mostly stop working and hopefully start up my own small business. I am a quilter and am really good at sewing various things that I like to be creative with so I would hope to start a small craft / sewing business and sell at craft fairs and maybe online. I would also love to be a blogger but not sure that's an attainable or realistic goal since sooooo many moms do that now. I Know I would go stir crazy if I stopped working altogether, but I definitely don't see myself continuing teaching after baby. It would be way too hard to love my students and still come home to love my own children, not to mention the strict schedule and time restrains of teaching.

What are all of your hopes and dreams for after baby? Or if you already have kids, what do you do now?

I am currently a school psychologist. Unfortunately I have to work full time as I cannot find part time work (which would be ideal).

It's pretty hard work juggling both work and a young child. But if I'm honest I enjoy the break I get my going to work but I also get to spend more time than a traditional job. I try to take advantage of winter, spring and summer breaks and do as much with him as I can.

And just as a side note. I use to teach and the love for your students is nothing to your own child. I would never worry about loving them less after work. No matter what had been thrown at me during the day I come home and let it go for ds.

I'm also a teacher, at secondary school level. I'm going to take 8 months off initially. After that, the plan is to return to work full time, as I'm the main earner in my house. I would love to go part-time, but I don't know if it's feasible. I'm already struggling so much at work due to fatigue - I'm not looking forward to doing it while also looking after a baby.

And just as a side note. I use to teach and the love for your students is nothing to your own child. I would never worry about loving them less after work. No matter what had been thrown at me during the day I come home and let it go for ds.

True, I suppose what I really meant is that I can't imagine loving my students as much with a baby at home. I just wouldn't be able to give it my all and for me that just couldn't work. It's all or nothing for my teaching, which is probably why I am so exhausted all the time!

That makes absolute sense. To be honest, sometimes I will be at work with not a lot to do and I am like why am I here? I could be at home doing this or that with DS.

Honestly, if you have the ability to not work while the babies are young then I would say stay home. I don't have that option. And while working and balancing home and a baby/toddler is hard it is doable. I like that I work in education because I can stay home if he is sick and I get so much vacation time to be with him. But sometimes I really struggle. But those are days I order take out and spend more time playing or snuggling.

Since having him I have really found my strength as a woman and a mom. Something I didn't have when I was childless. I am certain I can make anything work for him because he is really the reason I do most everything.

Since having him I have really found my strength as a woman and a mom. Something I didn't have when I was childless. I am certain I can make anything work for him because he is really the reason I do most everything.

I love that! I've heard other working moms say similar things and I am still so amazed at all women who are so strong.

I am a nurse and after having my DD I had no choice to go back to work full time. I am quite lucky though - I work 3 12 hour shifts a week and an extra one every 8 weeks to make up my hours.

It is hard and there are many times when I wonder how on earth I've made it through the day when dd hasn't slept or she's cried for me not to go when I'm leaving. I just make sure to really make use of the other four days and spend loads of time with her. I do think it helps my sanity though and we couldn't afford for me to work part time as I'm the main earner so here we are.

I'm currently in medical school (and will hopefully have my 1st while still in school), so I'll have no choice but to get right back to it! Probably won't even have any type of leave. But in this profession, there really is no good time, and it seems like I will only be busier the longer I wait.

I had 9 months off after my first child and returned part time doing 25hrs over 3 days. It's hard being a working mum and work days are a little crazy with little time for anything in an evening but I feel I have a happy balance. I don't think I could stay at home (the idea is great!) but I think I'd go stir crazy and I do enjoy having some adult time and mostly "me time" even if it is only a 30min lunch break at work! My daughter attends childcare the 3 days I'm at work and personally I think it's very beneficial to her development :) everyone has different circumstances though and we do what suits our families and lifestyles best!

I am due to finish mat leave tomorrow, my wee one is 6.5 months. I'm also a teacher, I will be part time until August then I don't know what my hours will be. I am sad to be going back to work but to me it is important that my wee one knows that women don't have to give up their careers just to start a family. I worked damn hard to get into uni, get good grades and get a job and I'm not really willing to throw it away. As others have mentioned, holidays etc mean we can still spend loads of time together. And of course the extra money means we can be that bit more financially secure.

My OH is going to drop some hours if I go full time, or we will both work a 4 day week. We are fortunate that family can help out and I'm comfortable with her staying with both sides of the family. I guess that makes a massive difference!

I went back to work when ds was 14 weeks as I was going crazy at home. But it was crazier being back! I really struggled with the transition and felt very hassled and lost for a long time. The next time around, I will take more time to go back to make sure I'm truly ready. But I love my job and love being a working mom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->