Work problems

Shandelion

Reaction score
I'm in landscaping for my profession, not a very pregnancy-friendly occupation. At first my coworkers were automatically putting me on decent light-duty tasks, but last week I had to break down and let them know that my remaining primary task is causing extreme fatigue and cramping and achiness. The director of my department was great about it, I talked to her first. My supervisor went nuts on me. Today I was back to doing the same thing I was doing before-with my director's orders to do so. There are a thousand lighter duties I could be doing. I'm not a confrontational person, but if I don't stand up to them in a very strong way, they're going to ride rampant over me and either way they're acting like they're the victims. It's very upsetting to me and I really don't want to draw a line in the sand over it. My husband is encouraging me to quit for my health and the baby's, but we don't have any other health insurance and we're low income. I just don't know what to do now. At least our HR lady is on my side, but...what the heck, why does this have to go to HR? Isn't this common decency? I'm having such hard time, physically and emotionally.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I think you are just going to have to really put your foot down in a big way, go higher up in the company if you have to. I don't know about the U.S, but in the UK there are some pretty strong laws protecting pregnant employees.. Might be worth looking in to x

I've been looking for information on US laws protecting pregnant women, but I can't really find anything. Apparently only half a dozen states have such laws and I'm not in one such state. Federal law states I have to have the same accommodations as a disabled person, but there's no definition for what that means. I'm really stressing out about confronting them tomorrow. It's supposed to be hot tomorrow...they'll want me doing hard labor in the full sun.

Cant you just ask your doctor to put you on light duty?

your energy should go up after the first trimester but i guess that doesn't really help if a big part of the problem is that they're getting you to do work that's inappropriate for a pregnant person.

if you're considered hte same as a disabled person then what you need to find out is whether your employer has a legal obligation to "accommodate your disability". if there's a legal clinic near you i'd go ask them, or contact a disability lawyer. there are some really nice lawyers who will give a little of their time for little or nothing.

i'm guessing you have the right to accommodation.

Hi hun, which state are you? I'm in HR in the UK but I used to have remit for US employees. From what I can remember, you are covered by an equal opportunities law, which basically states that if you are unable to fulfil duties as a pregnant woman you are given the same rights as a disabled person in your company, but this obviously depends on whether there has been any precendent set by disabled people (ie, has anyone had duties altered due to illness/disability)?

I agree with Brandy that I would speak to the doctor and then the HR lady who is on your side. You're right that common decency should mean that people treat anyone who is suffering with some sympathy, however I know from working in HR that there are a lot of people who get very annoyed by both pregnant women and mothers due to the fact that they seem to get special consideration in a lot of things.

x

im pretty sure they legally have to provide you with a suitable/safe alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"