Working 12 hour shifts while pregnant?

TiffanyJolie

Pregnant with baby #1
Reaction score
I am currently unemployed and desperately need a job and am about 10 weeks pregnant. I have a potential job offer :happydance: but it would be working 12 hour shifts at night :dohh: . Lots of days off but I haven't had a job since before I got pregnant and I get tired just doing stuff around the house during the day. It would be sitting at a desk so I wouldn't be on my feet or lifting anything just wondering if anyone has started 12's after getting pregnant and had problems or success? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I currently work 8-9 hours and I am pooped by the end of the day. And I am only 5 weeks. I don't think I could do 12 even if I wasn't expecting.

Good luck with your decision. I hope everything works out.

I tried having a job at... 4 weeks pregnant? 5 weeks? I don't remember I have preggers brain. Anyway. It was a retail job where I was on my feet for at least 6 hours at a time so I just couldn't do it (I have a two-hour nap daily with just being at home).
But maybe a sitting-down job would be all right?

I work 12 hour shifts at night as a Nurse...which in reality is is a minimum of 13 hours and max of 15 when I get behind. You do what you have to do to make money, it will be difficult to get used to the hours at first but you will fall into the routine. How many days a week will you work? If you dont work enough you might get too tired or if you work too much you will become like me and be permanently nocturnal...I hate it. I used to stay up all day the last night I worked but now Im so tired when I get off I cannot stay awake all day to get myself back on track so I stay on a nocturnal schedule.

Hi,

I work 12 hour days, 5 days a week in quite a physically demanding job. I am 13 weeks pregnant and have two children under 5 so am very busy as you can imagine. It is exhausting but I make sure I go to bed really early and my husband has been making me dinner each night. I find that as long as I get enough sleep, I can manage, however I have been doing this for two years so am quite used to it. On the plus side, I haven't put on very much weight yet and baby looked great on the 12 week scan. My doctor said there is no reason to change my hours as long as I feel ok and that keeping active can actually be very beneficial.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you x

i work 12 hour days and am knackered, but it is possible, just dont make any plans and accept that you will be asleep a lot
have you worked nights before - i cant do it, i dont manage to sleep in the day and end up feeling dreadful - but if you can sleep then think it should be ok
x

Im a care assistant and work 6 - 12 hours depending on what shift im on. By the time hour 8 comes im knackered. I think im going to decrease my hours as it is a very demanding job. I dont get a sit down eurgh! :haha:

If its office work and your sitting apart from a numb bum it will be good for you xxxx :winkwink:

Go for it :happydance:

I work 12-15 hour shifts (days though) at an ER, and right now I do find myself getting tired a lot easier, but since it's pretty busy I'm occupied and the time flies by, so working 12 hour shifts works well for me so I have 4 days at home then to do everything else. Just expect to want to sleep for hours once you get off!

This is my 3rd baby BTW.
:coffee:
I dont know if this helps, but around 10 weeks...I started to feel normal levels of energy again. I pretty much work long hours also.

Try not to worry you will be okay....

Give it a try and if it does not work out at least you know you gave it a go. The best thing that I have found is the empathy at work and everyones willingness to help me. As you grow, you will be cut a load of slack and if your are tired let your employer know. It is highly likely that they will let you go home!!! :)

hi all

I am 13 weeks pregnant and I work 12 hour shifts in a nursing home as a carer, its very hard work and am completely shattered when I get home and find it hard to get up again the next day, personally I would advise against working for that length of time as it is a huge demand on your body at this stage in pregnancy.

I wish you all the best in your pregnancy and good luck with you decision.

:flower: vixstar x

im a student nurse and am currently on placement (bad timing :() ive been doing 5 days in a row of 8-4 shifts but my midwife suggested as im in week 5 and terribly fatigued it may be better if i do 12 hour shifts with a day off inbetween each one, so placement have facilitated this and i am starting the long days tomorow! just going to make sure i take lots of fruit to snack on to keep my energy up as im so so tired and weak this week :(

I work 5 days a week, with anywhere from 10-14 hour shifts a day. Yes I'm tired, as I work at a busy restuarant, one my my stores doesn't even have a chair to sit down, so I'm on my feet for all of it. But it's doable, and it's money! I don't think you'll hurt the baby, just be tired all the time! Just get lots of rest at night and you should be good!

I am 33 weeks pregnang and still working fulltime as a nurse, I am on my feet for 8 hours sometimes only manage to sit down at the end of the shift to write my notes, I also work on diff. Shifts. I feel so tired and my back hurts but need to save my annual leave and maternity so that I could spend more time with my baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->