Working full time..

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by lauren-kate, Oct 27, 2008.

1. lauren-kate

lauren-kate Well-Known Member

How does going to work full time work out;? How does everyone do it - afford childcare, etc? Just wondering about how to do it. x

2. Ragirl

Ragirl Mom of 2

I'm back to work now from my second child. I have to say, the second time has been easier than the first. But it's still hard. I just keep in mind that she will learn so much in school. And my son loves going- we were going to try and keep him home when I was on leave this time and he really missed going. So it's good for them. As for affording it, my salary from working full time covers the school tuition with some extra to contribute to household bills. The biggest difficulty is really finding enough time in a week to get everything done. We have had to make some sacrifices, one being that we now eat out one dinner a week to save us cooking/clean up time.

3. Donna79x

Donna79x Mummy to Rihanna Paige x

Hi Hun.... Rihanna is my first child and by choice (wasnt working out) I am a single mum therefore the pressure is on! I am returning back to work full time in May next year and her nursery fees are 690 £ a month!!!!!!!!! Hoping I will get a little child / woring tax credit to go towards it. If not my salary will 'just' cover it and I will have to make many sacrifices..... espec now my mortgage is up cos of interest rates x

4. xarlenex

xarlenex Well-Known Member

I cant help much, but I work part-time and get £120 a week from tax credits so cover the cost of childcare, I only get that amount tho as id to book kyle in for full time with the childminder because my shifts are flexi most times.

5. clairebear

clairebear Mummy to 2 handsome boys.

im lucky im able to return to work part time working evenings when dh gets in xx

6. anita665

anita665 Mum of 2 & expecting 3rd

I'm lucky enough to be in a possition where I don't have to work. I did try working part time though. I really wanted to for my own sanity but it didn't work out. I wouldn't make enough to make is financially viable to get a baby sitter and family were too unreliable. Also when I was working I just couldn't keep my mind off my little man.

7. Newt

Newt tiny amphibious salamanda

I'm back in uni, but it is similar to working full time. I have to put in full time hours but if I am sick (like this week) and cant make it in I have to make the time up (I have no idea how I am gonna do that) I am living off my bursary (£550 month) and I pay the creche £320 a month (mum has Oscar for 2 days)
    It is very hard finiancialy but I know it will be worth it.
    Leaving LO for a whole week is distressing too, I miss him dreadfully and the house is a mess.
    I do feel more sane after returning though, not the 1st week, that was hard, but I am Sarah again, if you know what I mean?
    I just wish I could afford to do it part time :(

8. nikky0907

nikky0907 Well-Known Member

Once Lola is 10 months-1 year old I'm going back to working part time and to university classes.
    She'll be spending from 8 a.m. to 4 - 5 p.m. in a nursery.
    It's very expensive,but there's no other choice. :shrug:

9. libbyam2003

libbyam2003 Toddler and infant

I was concerned about how to afford my first... which is why I guess I was almost 30 before I had my dd. Turns out, we actually spend LESS because we never go out and don't take vacations or mini wknd trips even! But I can't say that is a GOOD thing, just how it works out. Not bored, so not planning for ways to 'get away' or going out for fancy dinners. Now we're planning for a second... now THAT i think will end up costing more for sure since we already don't do anything now! But dh says we're fine... helps that we started putting aside money each month to cover us when I take off for maternity leave (don't have enough vacation saved so have to do some unpaid)... putting that money aside gets you used to having less so then you're ready for some of the costs like daycare later!

10. lalila0007

lalila0007 Loving my little family

Yesterday was my first day back to work. I don't have a choice but to work because I am the primary provider in our family. I am also EBFing so am having to pump at work. I am lucky that I have a wonderful aunt who is also a sahm with a 2 year old daughter who is willing to keep my dd for about half of what I would have to pay for daycare. I am hoping it works out well for all of us.

My OH and I did talk about him being a sahd but we would be losing out more if he stayed home that we are paying a sitter. So...that answered that question.

Good luck!

11. libbyam2003

libbyam2003 Toddler and infant

First day back.. oh man... hope you are coping okay! Those first couple weeks were BAD for me, then things sorta started working out and I found myself not thinking about my dd as much and heart wasn't constantly aching. Pumping at work is hard!! I don't have my own office, just a cubicle, so had to pump in the fax room! The pits!!!

12. lalila0007

QUOTE]

First day back.. oh man... hope you are coping okay! Those first couple weeks were BAD for me, then things sorta started working out and I found myself not thinking about my dd as much and heart wasn't constantly aching. Pumping at work is hard!! I don't have my own office, just a cubicle, so had to pump in the fax room! The pits!!![/QUOTE]

I was great yesterday! Today...its been tough. I am missing her a whole lot! As for pumping, my workplace is awesome. About a month before I was due, they created a "nurture room" set up so that no one can get in except for those of us who use it and HR. There are 2 private lockable cubicles, a radio, magazines, mood lighting, milk storage refrigerator and comfortable areas to sit and plug in. I can just go in, lock the door and take off my top and pump. So, it is super nice.

13. Natasha2605

Natasha2605 2 girlies <3

This thread is four years old : / How on earth did it get back up?!

14. lalila0007

Hahah Natasha - I didn't notice! lol