Working in a hospital pregnant

seahorse14

Reaction score
I work per diem on the weekends at a hospital (about 1-2x month) in addition to a 40+ hour work week at another job.

My per diem job requires lifting and transferring people (typically always twice my weight). I often work with patients who are unable to transfer themselves at all and I literally have to do all the work to get them from a bed to a chair, etc.

I'm debating giving up my per diem job because even though it's great money, I can survive without it. I do enjoy the job somewhat but I worry that all the lifting will possibly cause an injury.

I hate to quit any job really but I feel like I should... advice?

I'm a little over 9 weeks pregnant.

I had the same worry with my first pregnancy since I'm always lifting at work. My dr told me its safe to lift as long as i wasn't struggling to do it and its something I was use to doing. I would ask your dr their opinion but I was told it was safe. Good luck :)

I would not give up my job because of pregnancy but I would make sure they knew I was pregnant and done a risk assessment. Also is there not moving and handling equipment (hoists slide sheets etc,) you can use?

good luck xx

I work in A&E and have similar concerns. Despite all the rules and regs saying we shouldn't need to lift, if a patient keels over sometimes you just have too. Plus I'm always transferring patients to wards in wheelchairs and on heavy trolleys. I go back to work tomorrow and on top of the physical concern, I'm worried about the heavy workload on top of my exhaustion, and also many drugs are toxic to expectant mummies. The hospital is a risky place to work. I'm going to tell my manager tomorrow that I am expecting and hopefully she can do a risk assessment to protect me and bubba as I am prone to miscarriage anyway. I'm only 4wks today.

You should talk to your dr to see if be wants you lifting such heavy weights and at what point you really shouldn't anymore. I work a a hospital and we, as a department look out for our preggo staff members and will no allow them to do any pulling or heavy lifting... But we are just looking out for one another cause we are an OB department. Maybe your department will be more understanding and help you out more if they knew?? Good luck!

I Work on a renal unit, and transfer patients daily as long as we are using the right equipment and techniques and am aware of my limits i carry on, i have had a few patients i have declined to move though. W x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->