Worried about early scan after chemical.

Coco Tutu

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was delighted to get my BFP on Monday but after a chemical in June at 5 weeks, I am checking for blood every time I go pee :/

So the midwive's assistant was nice enough to book an early ultrasound for me. The thing is, they went by the first day of my last menstruation, which was 2nd September, while I repeatedly told the assistant I ovulated late, most likely the 21st of September, which means that the day of the scan I will only be 6 weeks 1 day.

I am worried we will go there and won't see a heartbeat and won't know if it's normal because my dates are off or if the embryo is not developing :( I explained that twice but the assistant said that it's fine and we will see how far along I am, heartbeat or not. Pfff...

Anyone have a similar experience? Did you see a heartbeat at 6 weeks?

Any other advice on how to stay cool when pregnant after a chemical is really appreciated!

Hey! :wave: First of all, congratulations!
Secondly, there sadly really no way to stay cool when PAL. :/ It's understandable to be nervous.

Do you know why they want you to go in for a scan so early? I have a 6 week scan before, and they were able to see a heartbeat. This time, they aren't having me come in until 8 weeks. It's a little frustrating because I wanted to be seen sooner, but honestly I'm a little relieved because I don't want to be in the situation like you are , possibly being seen too early and stressing about not seeing a heartbeat....

But it's possible that you will see it. And if you don't know, they should just schedule to come back in a week or so. :hugs:

congrats!! i had a similar situation - went in at 6w5d and they did an internal scan, and we did see the heartbeat - at least she was able to show us the signature of the hb. the baby measured 5w6d, so there's a good chance you'll see a heartbeat, but things are just starting out, so it could be the first few days or right before the hb starts. I know it's hard to not worry, but as long as you see everything else where it's supposed to be, they'll bring you back and then you'll definitely see it!

Hey! :wave: First of all, congratulations!
Secondly, there sadly really no way to stay cool when PAL. :/ It's understandable to be nervous.

Do you know why they want you to go in for a scan so early? I have a 6 week scan before, and they were able to see a heartbeat. This time, they aren't having me come in until 8 weeks. It's a little frustrating because I wanted to be seen sooner, but honestly I'm a little relieved because I don't want to be in the situation like you are , possibly being seen too early and stressing about not seeing a heartbeat....

But it's possible that you will see it. And if you don't know, they should just schedule to come back in a week or so. :hugs:

oh tcinks your signature is heartbreaking (except for the rainbow baby that's about to come part :) ). It must be so much harder for you to stay calm. Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment. As for why they want me to go that early, I think it's just the assistant (so not a midwife) and she goes by last period dates and feels that 7 weeks are safe enough. I tried to explain to her about my late ovulation but nope.

congrats!! i had a similar situation - went in at 6w5d and they did an internal scan, and we did see the heartbeat - at least she was able to show us the signature of the hb. the baby measured 5w6d, so there's a good chance you'll see a heartbeat, but things are just starting out, so it could be the first few days or right before the hb starts. I know it's hard to not worry, but as long as you see everything else where it's supposed to be, they'll bring you back and then you'll definitely see it!

yay for a heart beat beccabonny!!! Congrats! Let's hope we are lucky too and get to see that little heart beating soon :)

I went in at what I thought was 6w5d by LMP for a dating scan because my AF before this pregnancy was very strange. Spotting for 2 days prior to full flow and a week early. I wondered if I was pregnant then because I thought it might be implantation. In either case, it was not, and I have a perfectly normal cycle afterwards and seemingly got pregnant from :sex: I thought 3-4 days before O. Had estimated based on cycle length that I was actually 6w3d along.

In any case, we saw a healthy baby, hb at 120bpm, measuring 6w0d. I'm still guessing they measured behind because I don't think sex THAT far before O would have gotten me pregnant. Besides my uterus is tilted so it's probably harder to see.

tl;dr, you'll probably see something useful on the scan at that point, even if the hb isn't quite visible yet, and as another said, they might just make you come back in a week if you don't.

I went in at what I thought was 6w5d by LMP for a dating scan because my AF before this pregnancy was very strange. Spotting for 2 days prior to full flow and a week early. I wondered if I was pregnant then because I thought it might be implantation. In either case, it was not, and I have a perfectly normal cycle afterwards and seemingly got pregnant from :sex: I thought 3-4 days before O. Had estimated based on cycle length that I was actually 6w3d along.

In any case, we saw a healthy baby, hb at 120bpm, measuring 6w0d. I'm still guessing they measured behind because I don't think sex THAT far before O would have gotten me pregnant. Besides my uterus is tilted so it's probably harder to see.

tl;dr, you'll probably see something useful on the scan at that point, even if the hb isn't quite visible yet, and as another said, they might just make you come back in a week if you don't.

it's quite confusing, isnt' it, all this mess with the dates :D I more or less know when I ovulated cause I used opks but still could be a day off. I guess you are right and the early scan will at least show how off my dates are. thank you for your comment!

I had a chemical last month and a miscarriage at 8weeks the month before so now I've gotten my bfp an my hcg was 3021 so they booked me for a early scan I thought I was 5weeks an 5 days an we only saw the gestional sac no yolk sac no fetal pole I immediately broke down thinking here we go again. However my dr said according to my dates an my measurements I would only be 4weeks an 6 days I go back in 10 days an he was confident we would see so much more then :) this happened as well with my twins went in at 6 weeks saw sacs an yolk sac no fetal back went back a week an a half letter there was two beautiful heartbeats!
I know it's hard not to stress or worry just wanted to give you something to maybe feel some better! Good luck I'm sending you many positive thoughts an prayers

I had a chemical last month and a miscarriage at 8weeks the month before so now I've gotten my bfp an my hcg was 3021 so they booked me for a early scan I thought I was 5weeks an 5 days an we only saw the gestional sac no yolk sac no fetal pole I immediately broke down thinking here we go again. However my dr said according to my dates an my measurements I would only be 4weeks an 6 days I go back in 10 days an he was confident we would see so much more then :) this happened as well with my twins went in at 6 weeks saw sacs an yolk sac no fetal back went back a week an a half letter there was two beautiful heartbeats!
I know it's hard not to stress or worry just wanted to give you something to maybe feel some better! Good luck I'm sending you many positive thoughts an prayers

awww thank you so much Twin2momma! It is reassuring to know that no matter what we see or don't see, it's still very early days. Of course the wait is killing me but I know this whole pregnancy deal is a loooong wait. Sorry for your losses and sending tons of positive energy for this pregnancy! :hugs:

awww thank you so much Twin2momma! It is reassuring to know that no matter what we see or don't see, it's still very early days. Of course the wait is killing me but I know this whole pregnancy deal is a loooong wait. Sorry for your losses and sending tons of positive energy for this pregnancy! :hugs:

Thank you!! yes still early so just reassure yourself of that! I have to wait 10 days for my next scan where we should see much more and it feels like 10 years away.

Thank you!! yes still early so just reassure yourself of that! I have to wait 10 days for my next scan where we should see much more and it feels like 10 years away.

I 'd love to know what you will see :) Keep me updated and best of luck!

Good luck for your scan :) When is it? x

With my last pregnancy I was sent for a scan when I would be 7+1 by LMP and I tried explaining to the midwife that I ovulated late and would only be 6+2 by ovulation and she just said it would be fine and if they saw what they expected but no heartbeat they'd repeat the scan about a week later so check for progression... but I wasn't keen on that as didn't want to spend all week worrying!

In the end though I measured 6+2 as I expected and they found a hb on an abdominal scan :cloud9: He's a healthy 16m old now.

I'm pregnant with #2 at the moment and having an early scan at 6+5 (Sunday) but this time I ovulated almost in line with LMP so shouldn't be as far out. Hoping to see hb again.

Good luck for your scan :) When is it? x

With my last pregnancy I was sent for a scan when I would be 7+1 by LMP and I tried explaining to the midwife that I ovulated late and would only be 6+2 by ovulation and she just said it would be fine and if they saw what they expected but no heartbeat they'd repeat the scan about a week later so check for progression... but I wasn't keen on that as didn't want to spend all week worrying!

In the end though I measured 6+2 as I expected and they found a hb on an abdominal scan :cloud9: He's a healthy 16m old now.

I'm pregnant with #2 at the moment and having an early scan at 6+5 (Sunday) but this time I ovulated almost in line with LMP so shouldn't be as far out. Hoping to see hb again.

Congrats on your second pregnancy :)
I will be 6+1 or even just 6 with my calculations of when I ovulated so not too optimistic about the HB but if we see everything else where it's supposed to be, I will be happy :) It's scheduled for the 20th of October and it's in the evening, so DH can come with me as well, which is nice.

Best of luck for Sunday!

Thank you, really hope that your scan goes well as well :) :hugs:

Hi all I'm 5 weeks exactly according to lmp. But I went through IVF so I know I'm actually 3 weeks. They are having me go in for a scan at 6 weeks but technically that's actually 4 weeks. I'm thinking of pushing the scan back by at least 4 days though I know I should push it back by a week. They told me that they are not expecting to hear a heartbeat that soon that all we will look for at that scan is a sac. This is my first pg. will they be able to see a sac at that point? And is it reason for concern that I feel no symptoms? I'm so nervous everyday. And I almost want to ask them to do the two hcg tests all over again just to reassure me. Last week my numbers were good.

Hi all I'm 5 weeks exactly according to lmp. But I went through IVF so I know I'm actually 3 weeks. They are having me go in for a scan at 6 weeks but technically that's actually 4 weeks. I'm thinking of pushing the scan back by at least 4 days though I know I should push it back by a week. They told me that they are not expecting to hear a heartbeat that soon that all we will look for at that scan is a sac. This is my first pg. will they be able to see a sac at that point? And is it reason for concern that I feel no symptoms? I'm so nervous everyday. And I almost want to ask them to do the two hcg tests all over again just to reassure me. Last week my numbers were good.

star-e sounds frustrating! Have you explained your concerns to the ultrasound practice/ your midwife? Sorry, I have no answers but I think if you tell them about your dates, they should move your scan date accordingly. Best of luck!

Hi! Over here from 3rd tri. I went through a Chemical back in November of 2015, and they scheduled me for an 8 week US instead of a 6 week. Now, usually a doctor will be able to see a HB at 6 weeks with a Transvaginal US. As for telling you how to be calm during a pregnancy after a chem. preg? I can't really give you any advice on that simply because I was just as terrified and freaked out as you are. Being scared, nervous, and anxious are all things that are unavoidable, and the most you can do is breathe and try to tell yourself not to assume the worst and that your baby is happy and healthy. Just try to relax and tell yourself that everything will be perfectly fine with your Rainbow Baby <3

Hi! Over here from 3rd tri. I went through a Chemical back in November of 2015, and they scheduled me for an 8 week US instead of a 6 week. Now, usually a doctor will be able to see a HB at 6 weeks with a Transvaginal US. As for telling you how to be calm during a pregnancy after a chem. preg? I can't really give you any advice on that simply because I was just as terrified and freaked out as you are. Being scared, nervous, and anxious are all things that are unavoidable, and the most you can do is breathe and try to tell yourself not to assume the worst and that your baby is happy and healthy. Just try to relax and tell yourself that everything will be perfectly fine with your Rainbow Baby <3

Awww Alli! Such a sweet message! Thank you both for the info regarding the 6 week US and the positive energy :) You are almost there! Best of luck!

Star_e, are you measuring your week count by the age of the gestation? Because the LMP count you can - 2 weeks to get approx weeks since conception. HB starts approximately 4 weeks after conception, or 6 weeks by LMP measurements. :) If that's how you are measuring, your scan dates might be bang on instead of early. If your IVF was a week ago, then it's too early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"