Worried about frequent stomach bugs and listeria :(

maytobe

Reaction score
I am 19 weeks pregnant. About 16 days ago (or more, I think), I ate a Subway chicken ham sandwich. I didn't know about listeria. Now I am worried. Almost every week, I get some minor (but nevertheless irritating) stomach bug without acute diarrhea. I mean, I feel diarrheac(sp?). I also have a tummy upset. I have pelvic bone muscle aches that the doctor diagnosed as a mild case of SPD. I have no fever though.

I had an abdominal and transvaginal anomalies scan a few days ago and by the grace of God, everything looked fine. If I had listeria, could it have been detected by ultrasound?

Please help! I am sick with both hormones and worry :(

- SS

just go to the dr they will take blood and if u have it they will give u meds and everything will be ok!

I eat Subway all the time. The chance of listeria is actually fairly low, but it never hurts to go to the doctor and have them check you out. I haven't had any stomach problems myself, but if I did, I'd definitely want a doctor to know about it.

For some women upset stomach and diarrhea are just part of pregnancy. I'm sure if you ate processed meats every day throughout the 9 months then maybe something might come of it, but the occasional sandwich won't hurt you or the baby. I wouldn't worry about it.

If there had been any trace of listeria at the food outlet you used its highly likely that other people would have fallen ill too - and that the danger to public health would have been well documented in the local news hon! Listeria is a danger when pregnant along with a big list of other things, we are advised to avoid certain foods but this doesnt mean that if we do eat them we will definitley be placing ourselves at risk - its just a precaution... - its imprtant to get a perspective on these things otherwise pregnancy turns into a hell hole of worry. Go to the doctor to get checked out - for reassurance more than anything - it is interesting to mention you have symptoms of SPD, as it has been suggested I have it too and I get lots of tummy upsets and pain which the midwife has put down to it xx

Thank you everyone! I guess I am being paranoid. My doctor said that it is my old friends progesterone and estrogen, lol. Plus where I live, they have no tests for listeria, so the doctor said that it is very uncommon here, especially in a place like Subway. She's prescribed me some tums though, and no eating out till my stomach settles down. Guess I can handle that :)

Was the sandwich toasted or heated? If they heat it, it would kill anything you could catch from it. (i know the chicken should have been heated!! i use to work there)

Also, the symptoms of listeria include fever and muscle aches (like you get with the flu) so I wouldn't worry too much unless you start feeling like you have the flu.

And if you have any more Subway cravings just make them toast your sub and it will kill all the bad stuff and make it safe to eat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->