worried about having a big baby!!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by dd29, Jan 30, 2011.

1. dd29

dd29 Well-Known Member

:wacko:hello im due in 4 days and bein induced on my due date 3rd feb because i was 14 days over last time and had a large baby. im really worried this one will also b big as my last one got v stuck and had to b forced out wit forceps he also got in distress and it was scery. ive had growth scans with this one and drs r saying it looks normal this time. how ever at my last scan wen i was 36wks+4 he already waighed 6lb 7oz so as im just wondering if thats normal or im in for a whopper again ill be 40 wks wen i go in but it all depends on how busy they r. plz help im really worried. the only bit of hope ive got is my midwife this is my 3rd time having her and wen she feels my tummy she says my baby does not seem masive at all she thins he wont reach 8lbs but the scans saying different so worried plz help 6lb 7 at 36+4 seemed massive to me and now im nearly 40wks i dread to think how much he is:nope:

2. dd29

dd29 Well-Known Member

anyone????:wacko:

3. Sab4kids

Sab4kids Well-Known Member

My first baby was 9lbs 9oz-girl-10 days o/d, my 2nd was 9lbs 1oz-boy- 14 days o/d and 3rd was 7lbs 14oz-boy-4 days o/d. All vaginal deliveries, each one was a completely different experience and recovery and length of pregnancy. I was so scared with my 2nd after the first but has found out that it is just out of my control and stressing just makes things worse. Its hard not to but be positive as this labour and delivery will be unique. I am currently 27 weeks pregnant with my 4th and my doc is already stating this is a big baby! Not something I want to hear. But I must stay positive and relax. Enjoy these last few days as you will look back on them fondly.

4. Jem88

Jem88 Guest

I had a growth scan at 33 weeks and they told me she was around 5lb 4 and measuring 1 week ahead, and she'd proberly be around 9lb at 40 weeks, she's now measuring 41 weeks going by the fundal height and the midwife's keep saying she feels "big and a solid baby" when they feel my bump. I'm getting induced at 41 weeks if she's not here by then and got told when i go into labour they'll leave me 6 hours and if nothing's happening they'll do a c-section.. I'm abit worried about her getting stuck if i do have a normal birth but i guess stressing won't help.

5. dd29

dd29 Well-Known Member

my first was born at 39+4 and was 7lb 5 oz my second was 14 dayz over and was 9lb. i am alot smaller this time and ive only put on a stone with the 9 pounder i put on 3 and a half stone. everyone is telling me that scans can b way out and i shud listen to my midwife as i had her wit my other 2. she was the only one that was honest wit me last time the hospital said he wud only b 7lb 10 but my midwife said no hes gonna b over 8 and a half lbs and sure enough out came a 9 pounder. i saw her thursday at my 39wk app and she said this bay feels so much smaller and she really doesnt think hell even reach 8lbs. but why is scan saying hes big i dont get it. who do i trust my midwife whos been a midwife for 30 odd yrs and has had me twice b4 or the scan xxxxx

6. Bellie710

Bellie710 Well-Known Member

My first baby was 8lb 6 and 8 days late, 2nd was 9lb 12 and also 8 days late, at 37 weeks the MW thought No.3 was about 7 1/2 lbs so they are expecting this one to be about 9lbs. I think I am smaller than I was with the first 2 but either way I am not worrying about it as there is nothing I can do. I also found my 2nd labour so much easier than my first.

7. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

I would trust the midwife over the scan estimate. I think from their experience and ability to feel, they tend to really have a knack for it. Do you know why your last one got stuck? Was it the shoulder getting trapped?

8. dd29

dd29 Well-Known Member

thanks guys. he was just stuck hun went into distress everytime i pushed he wud only move a little then go back up again next min alarms r goin off and drs and and consultants r all running in the rom screaming at me to push it felt like i was goona split sooooooo painful in the end they used forceps tok a while tho and wen he finly came out he was blue and not breathing it was v v frightning thing is im only 5ft 4 and a size 8 even they were gob smaked. his head was 39 cm round. i found the 7 pounder a lot easier she was out in 2 pushes. so im hoping for a 7 pounder again but realy think hes gona b 9 even tho i am alot smaler and only put on a stone. all my mates dont think this baby wil b big my bst mate remebers me pregnant with my last one and she said i was masive and says i look loads smaller this time. wen the measure the height of utrus its been like a cm less. i do know alot of people who had scans and were told to expect a huge baby then they go on to have them and there like ony 6lb just preying thats the case 4 me xxx

9. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

It sounds like you may have had shoulder dystocia - perhaps your doctor can clarify for you. BTW mine did as well, no forceps though, they broke his collarbone to get him out instead. Large size is a factor (9lbs+) but the baby's position in the birth canal along with other factors is a big contributor.

I will be honest that I am going for elective C-section next time due to a similar thing happening. All I can say is to put faith into your body and your midwife, or perhaps even explore alternative birthing options. It's difficult when you've been through such a scary event.

10. ermm23a

ermm23a Well-Known Member

My DH was an 11 lb baby and they took him at 37 weeks. I'm very worried my baby will be massive. At 19 weeks his head was measuring 2 weeks ahead and I did fertility treatments so I know the exact day I ovulated. My doc has already scheduled a c section at 39 weeks bc she feels certain he'll be too big for me to have on my own. I just try not to think about it, bc there's really nothing I can do now.

11. dd29

dd29 Well-Known Member

yer im crapping my pants il just have to wait and see. and hope xxx

12. Kimboowee

Kimboowee Complete

IMO don't listen to scans or MW, I got told by fundal height and MW that he was massive, then by scan he was extra small - he was 6lbs 14oz so not either!

13. wubba

wubba Mother of 3

I went to my 4D growth scan at 29 weeks and they told me DD was already about 6lbs :shock:. She was born 11 days late at 9lbs 6oz. I had a 2 hour labour with only 5 minutes pushing 1st degree tear no stitches! Apparently it is extremely rare to carry a baby that is too big to deliver vaginally unless you have a health problem like gestational diabetes. I wouldn't worry -easier said than done, I know.....:hugs::flower::thumbup:

14. kittykittykat

kittykittykat mum to gorgous son

6lb 4 oz aint massive at 36.4wks, thats sounds about average. i had my son at 37.4wks and he was 8lb 3oz. i dont know what your worried about. the average baby at term is 7 1/2 lbs. your on target really. and also dont believe what the scan says. they told me my son would be at least 9lb at 37.4wks by the scans and they were wrong