Worried about huge age gap and wanting to ttc.

Declansmummy

Reaction score
Hi all, we have an 8 year old son and have always wanted to have another child but for so many reasons over the years we never got around to trying.

We are getting married next January and honeymoon will be in July so if we were to start thinking about ttc it would be after then.

Im scared that the age gap will be too big between our son and a possible new baby and im also scared about my age. I wont be old by any means but so much older than when i had our son.

I guess im just looking for people who have big age gaps between their children that can tell me the pros and cons and also women that have had a child when they are 18 and gone onto have other children almost 10 years later.

Thank you so much

I don't have a big gap between my children (2 years and 5 month gap) but there is a big gap between myself and several of my siblings. My 3 older step-sisters are all 10+ years older than me and were already adults when my dad and step-mom got married but I've still always gotten along well with them and adored them, I really look up to my big sisters. There's also a 17 and 19 year age gap between me and my two youngest siblings (I have 9 siblings altogether between my 2 sets of parents). I love all of my siblings, close age gaps and large age gaps. I wouldn't worry too much about the age gap, I don't think it's the be all and end all of how close siblings grow up to be. :flower:

My kids are six years apart and are crazy about each other! A big gap can be a great thing <3

I was almost 9 when my little brother was born, I loved having a baby around the house so much. I used to carry my brother everywhere until he was 3 and my mum used to remind me he wasn't my baby :haha:

We are still very close, he is 19 now and often stays over at my house and babysits my son, it was a fantastic age gap and I got to really enjoy his childhood just as much as my parents.

My eldest daughter is 10 years older than dd2 and 12 years older than dd3, it has its positives and negatives but all in all they love each other and my eldest who is now 14 can be a really great help to me at times. Don&#8217;t over think age gaps, when they are all adults 10 years will be nothing, some of my best friends are either 10 years older or 10 years younger than I am and it doesn&#8217;t impact our relationship at all.

Hi, I had my daughter when I was 16 (literally two weeks after my bday) and she&#8217;s 17 now. I also have a 13 yo , 7 & 5yo and I&#8217;m considering number 5 (now aged 33).. big age gaps means you have to adapt a lot when talking to either of them but in my opinion it&#8217;s brilliant because the older kids help loads and are mature enough to understand what&#8217;s going on

I wish the age gap between my daughter and my son was bigger, there is 2 years and 9 months between them. In hindsight I wish I had waited another couple of years, this really isn't an optimal age gap at all!!

Slightly different situation, but my OH has two children from a previous relationship aged 9 and 6, and we have just had a baby last summer. They adore their new baby sibling and dote on and play with him so much, and are old enough to help (grab me that wipe, just watch him while I use the loo etc). They have to take turns having baths with him as they both love it but can’t all fit!! It’s so much fun, so a larger gap can be fine.

There are 10 years in between my son and my Daughter. My Daughter is 8 and we're WTT baby no 3, so there will be a 9 year age gap again!

I dont know much about age gaps. I'm wtt for number 1 and I'm a twin but my other half has a 6 year gap between him and his eldest sister it's 6 years to the day as she was born in his 6th birthday. They didn't have to many problems growing up and they have a really close bond and his youngest sister to they still have a really great bond.

I like the idea of larger gaps. My son will be 7 when I have number two if all goes to plan and I conceive relatively quickly x

Yea I seemed to go to plan with my OHs family and they are all really close.

I had had children very close in age and larger age gaps ( I'm pregnant with number 6) I had my first at 17 and am now almost 32. The children who are closer in age (#1 and #2 are 2 years apart #2 and #3 are 1 year apart) fight like cats and dogs and do not hang out with each other very often, the ones who are father so my 14almost 15 y/o and my 7 y/o are thick as thieves my 11y/o and 3y/o are very very bonded she just adores her baby brother, so honestly imo larger age gaps have a lot more benefits!!!! The only downside for me is being pregnant when I was younger was a breeze being pregnant in my late twenties and thirties has been oh so different and more difficult!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->