Worried...son has helped deliver lambs today!!

Chocciebutton

Reaction score
I am a little worried....my 15 year old son has been to a farm today with his college, we live in rural Devon and are surrounded by sheep. I didnt know that he would be up close while the sheep were lambing! I know that pregnant women are not supposed to have contact with lambing sheep, so as soon as I found out I made my son put his clothes straight in the washing machine and go and have a bath. They were smearing the afterbirth of one sheep onto another who had given birth to a dead lamb so that that one of the lambs could feed from that sheep. I have looked on the internet and it says contact with a dead lamb can be the most dangerouse. I am slightly more worried as my immune system is weak due to an auto immune illness I have. Has anyone any experience of being pregnant and contact with sheep?

Didn't want to R&R but i'd probably phone my midwife if i were you. Just to get some peace of mind. I'm sure everything will be fine. :hugs:

I have just phoned my midwife, she wasnt there but spoke to another who said I did the right thing by making my son have a bath and putting his clothes straight into the machine

Hey,
I worked in a mixed veterinary practice while I was pregnant (and during lambing time!).
As long as your son has washed all his clothing on a hot wash and showered really well, including scrubbing his finger nails you should be fine. The main risk of catching toxoplasmosis comes from accidentally ingesting the parasite while assisting with a lambing or handling clothing that has been contaminated if you have any cuts/grazes on your hands.
Ring your MW to be sure hun but I think the risk to you is minimal if everything has been washed etc. :hugs:

Oh and this was a useful leaflet I was given https://www.knowledgescotland.org/images_db/0000toxo%20leaflet%20-%20sheep.pdf

I have just had a read.....I have owned cats for the last 20 years so I may be immune to toxoplasmosis anyway but apparantley you can also catch listeria and Q fever from sheep as well which can be a problem while pregnant?

Hey hun, yes you can catch listeria and Q fever from lambing ewes but the precautions are the same as for toxoplasmosis (to catch Q fever you have to actually ingest urine, faeces or placenta/vaginal mucous from an infected ewe :sick:)
Will your son be going to the farm again? Maybe he can shower and change before he comes home if he does?

^^WSS^^

I'm a veterinary nurse and OH's family lives on a farm. So I have had contact with lambing and cats, and my LO is fine. With the proper precautions (which you did - washing clothes and showering) you will be fine. Don't forget to clean your sons shoes too, and floor where he may have walked with them on.

No he isnt going again! I suppose its the risk of toxoplasmosis really then....and having 2 cats in the house there probably isnt a lot more risk to me than there is as usual then?

I didn't want to read and run, but the most constructive thing I have to say is that sounds like a disgusting field trip ./barf!

I'm all for watching them be born, but to let them touch the afterbirth and whatnot? Nooooo thank you :thumbup: I'm sure you've covered all your bases by now having him wash up and throw his clothes in the washer, but hopefully your MW calls back with some peace of mind for you :baby:

im going on holiday in a week to a cottage thats on a farm with lots of lambing sheep!!!
i never knew there was a risk.
do you think ill be ok as long as i dont touch any sheep and keep my hand gel on me at all times?

im going on holiday in a week to a cottage thats on a farm with lots of lambing sheep!!!
i never knew there was a risk.
do you think ill be ok as long as i dont touch any sheep and keep my hand gel on me at all times?

Talk to your doctor or mw and see what they think. But you should be fine with LOTS of hand washing. It's accidental ingestion that you need to worry about. But like I said, I work with anaimals and spend a lot of time on OH's family farm and have had no problems.

Anderson8.....I am surrounded by sheep, I have them about 15 foot from my garden fence! Its just that my son was on a farm and had close contact, but I dont think you have anything to worry about as long as you clean your hands if you touch them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->