worried

bathbabe

Mum to 3 boys
Reaction score
Harrison keeps hitting himself on the head :(
If hes angry, tired, upset... he smacks himself with both hands over and over again.
If hes playing he will quite often use what ever hes playing with to bang on his head.
If he bumps his head by accident he will do it again, sometimes laughing sometimes crying. (Hes always done this)
He hits me and his dad for fun. We always say 'no dont smack it hurts' or 'mummy doesnt smack you so please dont smack mummy' etc etc.

This is stuff thats started happening recently :( i understand it could be frustration but it just seems lke a little bit more than that to me :cry:

Normal toddler? or something i should mention to the hv on monday?

Our LOs are the same age. Cormac does this too, he seems to enjoy smacking himself in the head or banging his head on the floor (and we have hardwoods!). When he hits himself I tend to just say "ouch" and let him go on his way as he doesn't seem to be hurting himself. When he hits me or his brother I have started doing time outs. I place him in our time out corner for 1 minute (use the microwave timer) and stand behind him to keep him in place. I have only put him in time out twice and he seems to think it's a game but I am hoping that he will start to associate hitting with being removed from the fun. After the time out is over I have him say sorry to whomever he just hit, which consists of a hug as he doesn't know how to say sorry yet, and then we go about our day. I tried giving the big "ow that hurt" reaction and he found it funny.

my lo does it too and I found if I told him no its not nice he did it more so I ignore it and get him to do something to rty and distract him and it works some of the time

i 100% ignore my little one when she hits or bites or playfully bangs her head. I used to say "nooo, silly don't do that" so as to not act upset but she in turn thought this was funny and did it more. eventually I ignored it completely and she stopped.
however, a lot of hitting on his head and banging into things hard does not seem quite right to me (though my LO is younger so maybe). I think you should ask your HV just to put your mind at ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->