• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Would anti depressants even be useful for me?

Samiam03

Reaction score
I have started developing pretty bad depression over my postpartum hairloss (I'm having it pretty severe...the sides of my head are almost bald). My doctors all just shrug it off and that makes me even more depressed. It had gotten to the point where I don't want to shower, don't want to brush my hair, don't want to look in the mirror, ECT and now I have anxiety in public and think everyone is looking at it. Somedays I feel so down about my appearance that I feel like just offing myself. :cry: I feel so ugly and don't even want dh touching me or looking at me.

I'm thinking about anti depressants but I'm not so sure it would solve my depression because my hair will continue falling out regardless and I will continue feeling down about it. The depression i feel towards my hair wont stop. Any thoughts?

are you sure that you don't have PPD and maybe the hair loss is just making it even worse? I know that I have had very bad feelings toward my body since my EMCS. Like, I really hate my body. Also have PPD.

Maybe you could speak to someone else? I hate it when doctors blow me off. And :hugs:

I don't think it is ppd because I felt really well until all this started happening...plus I'm having relationship issues and my toddler has been really intense lately and hard to handle so that only pushes my mental exhaustion and depression more. :nope:

Maybe I should just go on something and see how I feel. I'm too scared to see a therapist. I saw one as a kid and don't have the best memories.

try to get a personal referral for therapy. or look around online and read reviews. i have a really nice therapist that i found in our network book,

going on something might take the edge off of all this for you :hugs:

Did your doctor check your thyroid and your iron, B12 and vitamin D levels? These all cause hairloss and depression. Please make sure he checks all these things especiallu vit. D. Don't let him fob you off!

I would get your doc to give you a blood test, a full blood count including liver, thyroid and hormones like progesterone, because my hair never fell out or if it did i honestly did not notice it. its stayed the same, i wish it would thin out lol its like a lions mane anyway i think maybe an anti stress or short term anti anxiety medication might help instead of an antidepressant which takes a good month to work and might have nasty side effects where as a pill such as valium or lorazpeam might work faster and would help you cope if u just take them as directed and only for a short time or period of a few months, i don't know but sounds a bit like body dysmorphia to me, you see your hair loss as worse than it really is, i mean i had that with my eating disorder and surprisingly my medications do help with that side of my illness so yeah i would discuss it but before meds you do kind of need to ask for a full blood count to rule out any iron or other deficiances or imbalances, sorry about the spelling lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"