Would it be ok to BF in a baby group?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Kalah, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Kalah

Kalah Guest

I only recently started going to a baby group. It's a sign language group and I've only been once so far. Last time I was there after all the signing and singing everyone was just sat around letting their LO's play and giving them snacks. (Mine was the youngest there) Well she got hungry and I wasn't sure if I should feed her there or go back home and do it (I only live a 5 minute walk away). No one was giving bottles or BFing it was just people giving little finger food snacks. My LO is WAY to messy to have those without her whole bib, wipes, floor mat, bath afterwards, etc..
    Now I am shy about feeding in public, but in this case it's more of a question of is it normal to do in a baby group that's almost over anyway? I tend to be a little behind on the rules of being social, I don't actually have any friends so I just don't know what the social "rules" are.

2. Odd Socks

Odd Socks Mummy to 2 girls.

of course it'd be ok :)
    xx

3. Mummy~L

Mummy~L Mummy to 2

It would be fine hun xx

4. maisiemoo

maisiemoo Well-Known Member

I can remember being concerned about feeding etiquette at my first group. I soon realised that if your baby needs feeding, then you just get on with it :) bf at baby groups gave me the confidence to feed anywhere.

5. anna matronic

anna matronic Mummy to Evan :-)

I bf Evan during baby massage yesterday. He didn't do any massage cos he was hungry :)

These places are usually very pro bf :)

6. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

I say go for it if she's hungry. I would be quite surprised if anyone had a problem with it.

7. special_kala

special_kala love my bugs

A hungry baby is a hungry baby so of course its ok to feed your LO.

8. twinkle1975

twinkle1975 Well-Known Member

I used to run a baby group when I worked in a children's centre - my mum's used to BF & I didn't blink an eye - as someone else said - if your baby's hungry they need to eat!!

9. zzypeg

zzypeg mummy to Mrs Madam

if there's one place you can feel ok breastfeeding it's a baby group, a couple of the girls do at ours and noone even notices and/or cares. like someone else said, these places are really pro breastfeeding. infact I feel quite inadequate when I am at the surestart centre with all the stuff around to advertise it. lol. just enjoy your baby and you r group xxxxx

10. Janidog

Janidog Well-Known Member

Of course you can BF at a baby group :thumbup:

At the baby group i go to, either bottles or boobies are always out :haha:

11. littleredhen

littleredhen Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely feed your lo there. Those ladies won't judge. I use a nursing cover in public but I will literally feed anywhere and I have never had anyone say anything or even give me a look. We live in a very liberal city though. Just be brave and remember that all you are doing is feeding your lo, if someone doesn't like it than they are they are the one with the issues, not you Hun. Good luck! xx

12. vickie83

vickie83 Mama to 2 little ladybugs

We do tiny talk at a local sure start centre and if someone BF their baby nobody would bat an eyelid- or even notice really lol.

13. littlepne

littlepne Mum of One :)

As others have said, baby groups are a good way of working on your NIP technique! Other mum's won't mind :) :hugs:

14. Feltzy

Feltzy Well-Known Member

I don't really feel comfortable feeding in public either but I have fed at baby group before. I saw another woman bf her baby first and no-one batted an eyelid, it really increased my confidence to feed in public.

15. kerrie24

kerrie24 me,him and 3 lo's

Yep course you can!:thumbup:

16. eddjanuary10

eddjanuary10 Well-Known Member

yeah its quite common to see mummys bf'ing in baby groups, i have done it plenty of times and never felt uncomortable :)

17. peanut56

peanut56 Mom to Hana & pregnant!

Definitely! At my baby group, there was always at least one mom breastfeeding. :)

18. bubbles123

bubbles123 Well-Known Member

There is always some one Bf or FF at every group I've ever been to! I've chatted to a BF'ing mum whilst giving my LO a bottle many a time. No one will bat an eyelid.

19. RHR

RHR Mummy 2 Isabelle & Sophie

Of course it's fine hun. I go to an under 1's baby group and loads of mums there whip their boobs out to feed their lo if they're bf or bottles if ff.

20. lucy_x

lucy_x Mummy To Two Stunners