Would no cooked lunch at school put you off?

Gingerspice

Reaction score
I've had a prospectus through for a school we're hoping LO to go to. (Its a provate school hence making the decision now - LO is 19 months)

Anyway, although there are plans to get a kitchen in place, they don't know for sure when this might happen. As such, at the moment they don't offer cooked lunches to their pupils.

I am intending on collecting them from school so there should be time to give them a cooked dinner in the evening but I'm wondering if a cooked lunch is the better option.

Do you intend to have your LO eat a cooked lunch at school?

Wouldn't put me off. When Ruby has been to nursery and eaten a cooked lunch she still usually wants a cooked dinner as well haha so it doesn't save me any time.

If everything else about the school was right then that would be no issue.

It wouldn't put me off, but it would count against the school IF I was choosing between two/three/four similar schools...

I would say that quality of teaching and ethos of the school are most important, then both academic and non-academic facilities and opportunities, location etc come before availability of school dinners.

Do you have a number of schools to choose from? Have you been to open days etc?

QT

I personally would expect a cooked dinner at a private school as the fees are often pretty high. I wouldn't necessarily expect it at a state school where budgets are tighter.

But if I liked everything else about the school I would probably live with it and give them a cooked dinner in the evening.

No, it wouldn't put me off if I thought it was the right school. I never had school dinners as a child so I always assume my kids will take packed lunches anyway. Also none of the children will be having school dinners so it won't be like they're missing out, and it means you can all sit and eat together as a family in the evening.

It wouldn't put me off, but it would count against the school IF I was choosing between two/three/four similar schools...

I would say that quality of teaching and ethos of the school are most important, then both academic and non-academic facilities and opportunities, location etc come before availability of school dinners.

QT

Yeah we've been to the open day and got the application foorm etc so we can put a deposit down. I just wasn't sure if there were benefits or concenrs I should have with LO not getting a cooked lunch, but it sounds like that isn't really a problem

No, not really.... School dinners are great for families that don't have time/resources to provide a nutritious cooked dinner at home after school. But it definitely shouldn't be the be all and end all...

Since all the kids will be in the same boat, they will all sit together with their lacked lunches.

Fairly unusual for a private school not to provide them though.

QT

QT

Yeah we've been to the open day and got the application foorm etc so we can put a deposit down. I just wasn't sure if there were benefits or concenrs I should have with LO not getting a cooked lunch, but it sounds like that isn't really a problem

Not in the least. We usually had a packed lunch growing up and going to school, and at home now I rarely 'cook' for lunch but cook for dinner and even for breakfast at least a few days a week. I wouldn't expect it from a school, so long as the costs reflected that.

Yeah, Its because they've recently moved 2 sites into one, and the current site hasn't had the kitchen built. They are hoping too so by the time LO goes they might have got a kitchen sorted.

Yeah, Its because they've recently moved 2 sites into one, and the current site hasn't had the kitchen built. They are hoping too so by the time LO goes they might have got a kitchen sorted.

If you are completely happy with everything else (they aren't downsizing/struggling are they?), then I would go for it.

QT

It wouldn't put me off. I'd prefer mine to eat with me and OH in the evening when they get home.

as above hun, tbh i dont think it'd even make my list of important requirements :)

Nope, T will be on packed lunches. I like to know what my kids are eating.

I think I'd like my LO to have the option of a hot meal in the winter months...and particularly as it's a private school, it's something I'd expect for my money iykwim!

OT but Kitten, I haven't seen you around in ages! Congratulations on the birth of Nyah (the day before your DS birthday?!)

I don't think its the most important thing and it sounds like they plans for a kitchen sometime in the future but like the other ladies have said if there are similar schools it might affect my decision :flower:

I would be more concerned with the work, extra curricular, and sports offered...not the food. Here food is never supplied, so that wouldn't be an issue...you bring your own. But, it is def not something I would factor in for choosing a school.

It would affect my decision if I were choosing between different schools if that was the only difference. I would prefer a school that served hot dinners, but it wouldn't be my main priority.

I'd be fine with it as long as their cold menu was varied and it wasnt just sandwiches and apples for after! I'd ask to see the menu.

Suprised they dont outsource the hot meals. Many state schools do this.

BUT, at the end of the day as long as the education is good, the atmosphere is great and the educational facilities are top notch then that is what you are mainly paying for:)

Haha, this is so weird. I don't know anyone who's ever had a cooked lunch at school! But we are in Australia, so only the really fancy pants private schools have them; usually the boarding schools [which also take day students] as they all eat together. We have canteens, of course, but most people took their lunch to school at least half the time. In primary school we could put in a lunch order in the morning [hot or cold] and 2 kids from class collected it and brought it to the playground at lunch. At high school you could just line up at buy it yourself.

We always at sandwiches, left overs, fruit, snacks etc. Nothing wrong with that. You can always employ the use of a thermos or maybe heat food up at school, but only some schools allow this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->