Would really appreciate some advice..

Pennyb

Reaction score
Hello

I may be worrying about nothing but with google it's inevitable !

My son is 20 months old tomorrow, he was born 3 weeks early. He did not start walking till about 13 months but he's walking now and climbing on anything he possibly can ! He does not talk yet but it trying.

What I am worried about, is when he is excited he flaps his arms/hands with his elbows bent next to his side. So of course looking at google this shows up as a sign of autism, along with his current lack of speech.

Can anyone offer any insight please.

Thanks you.

I think he sounds fine tbh, at 20 months I wouldn't be worried if he is trying to talk hes still only little. Can he follow simple instructions? Get your shoes etc?

13 months is in no way late to walk either sounds pretty good to me.

My 3 yr old is autistic and hand flaps, my 18 month old isn't autistic (they are complete opposites and my 18 month old can communicate better than my 3 yr old.) and he will occasionally flap his arms around I don't think its anything to worry about on its own at all.

Maybe ask your HV to check his development though if your concerned but generally they don't worry about speech until after the age of 2 if your in the UK.

Hi hun
My little boy is severely autistic diagnosed age 2 he flaps but it's constant and it's his whole body like even his feet shake flapping alone is not usually cause for concern Harry could say about 8 words but it all disappeared overnight and at 2 he had regressed badly he was born with his autism and his hypermobility hypotonia and global development delays
If you are worried see your gp my hv really didn't know what she was on about it I'm not saying they are all like that but a gp can spot any red flags

Emma

Oh and Harry didn't walk till he was 2 and a half hun he couldn't even sit up at 15 months
13 months isn't really late to walk

Emma

Thank you ladies, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

My LB has MCADD so I think when they already have an illness you possibly look at them more closely that you may of done.

He's mot at all clingy, he goes to crèche whilst I go to the gym a couple of times a week and he does not worry when I leave he goes straight of to play in the ball pool ! He does not really play with the other children there he is happy with his own company, but I thought he may be a bit young to play with others yet. He loves it when we go to the shops or out to eat. He gets most excited if he gets to watch Peppa Pig, we go shopping and when we eat out and this is when he flaps his arms and will sometimes rotate his feet at the same time and his body can go stiff.

Once again thank you I appreciate you taking the time to reply x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->