Would you always advise someone to try bf again?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by 3011busyyear, Jun 3, 2011.

1. 3011busyyear

3011busyyear Well-Known Member

I really can't wait to start ttc again in the autumn, I had an awful labour resulting in emcs but would do it all again in a heartbeat. However there is one issue that I'm already worried about, feeding.
    Without waffling on about it I was so pro bf but LO just didn't take to it from the start. The first few weeks were horrendous, I don't feel like i bonded well with her, I was exhausted from her screaming at every feed as I persisted with trying to bf every feed for 6weeks-she never latched for more than 2mins in 6weeks! We had every bf expert sat in our living room, I went to all the groups and cried my heart out at most of them. I was also expressing at every feed to at least give her some milk, and also some formula so we had all the sterilising etc too.
    In theory the next LO could be a pro but the thought of not knowing until they arrive and even if they are I feel like I just want to enjoy the new baby without any pain, latch problems, constant feeding, mastitis, watching what I eat/drink etc.
    I want the best for my LO but don't know if I have the strength to go through it again. I found expressing easy and painless and would be happy to just express feed for as long as I could, managed 6weeks but feel I could have done longer had I not been trying to bf and formula feeding at the same time, focussing on expressing would have been easier.
    Sorry for the essay but I just wondered would you always advise someone to try to bf?

2. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

I think it would be worth trying. Even if you only manage one feed, or one day that would be worth it! If it doesn't work, never mind, its not the end of the world! It wouldn't do any harm to try. But at the end of the day it is totally your choice. Whatever you are most comfortable and happy with x

3. 3011busyyear

3011busyyear Well-Known Member

But what I don't what to do is do a day, few days, a week then buckle under the pain/pressure and go straight to formula. I think expressing exclusively from the start would allow me to focus on one feeding method and maybe that would allow me to go longer with breastmilk for LO.

4. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

My experience was similar to yours hun. I ended up with EMCS, LO didnt latch on until he was 4 weeks, but I didnt have any milk, I tried to express but with no success. It also affected our bonding during the 1st few weeks.

I want to give BFing a try next time. I'm planning to go for elective CS next time, so it hopefully be less stressful. If bfing doesnt work, I will move on.

You can give it a try hun, but if it doesnt work & you can express, then go for it as long as you'r happy with your choice. xx

5. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

True, and sometimes it is easier to make a decision rather than just wait and see.

However, exclusively expressing is seriously hard work from what I hear. Twice the work of either formula or breast feeding. People do it successfully though. Maybe look on the breastfeeding support thread and see if there are any exclusive expressers you could talk to there?

6. Dizzymum

Dizzymum Well-Known Member

I think it would be worth a go. You never know, this time it might work out fine. I had latching problems with my 1st (down to bad advice), but not with the other two.

If you are really worried about it, maybe you could decide to bf for, say, a week, and then plan to express after that, to take the pressure off yourself. You might find things are going well at the end of the week, and decide to continue, if not then Lo will still be getting the goodness of your expressed milk, and he/she will have had the benefit of the colosrum in that 1st week.

I had no problems with my 2nd baby, but loads of infections this time, which I have worked through, and now eventually I'm having comfortable feeds. I think everytime can be different, and you just don't know until you try.

good luck with whatever you decide to do x

7. peanut56

peanut56 Mom to Hana & pregnant!

I had a very similar experience. :(
    My own opinion is that it's worth trying again. But honestly, if the thought of possibly going through that again is too much for you, then you have to do what's best for you. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

8. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

I would say give it a try, but don't set yourself up to go through that again. If you don't find it going well within the first few days (ie baby is latching and feeding for 10+ minutes at a time), then don't stress yourself about it and switch to expressing. And then move on to FF when you feel you are ready.

Though BF is fantastic, it is not worth making mom into a miserable wreck. :nope:

9. mrs_park

mrs_park Mummy to THREE BOYS!

I had a traumatic labour and emcs and lots of problems breastfeeding but I am so glad I stuck with it as I love it now. it is hard at first but once you get over all those obstacles, it's so easy and convenient, and I hate washing and sterilizing bottles and boiling water and measuring formula. I'm far to lazy for all of that!

I would say to anyone, definately give it a go. If you had latching problems last time, look into this https://breastcrawl.org/ I will tell anyone who will listen about this method, because it works! xx

10. mumoffive

mumoffive Well-Known Member

Try it and see how you get on. If you dont want to try it then bottle feed! I have bottle fed all my children and they have had no issues! I was also bottle fed as have countless others. Dont feel guilty if you cant do it or dont want to do it. People seem to think if you dont bf then its some measure of your love for your baby. Its utter rubbish and do what you feel is best for yourself and your baby.

11. Odd Socks

Odd Socks Mummy to 2 girls.

I'm worried about the same thing more than anything else about having my next one. I had a similar story to yours but without the emsc. Bella spent the first 2 weeks of her life just screaming & it would take her 5 hours to latch on, only to feed for a few seconds, fall asleep exhausted & then wake 10 minutes later for it all to start again. We were readmitted to hospital when she was 2 weeks old, mainly because I couldn't cope & I started expressing & formula feeding as well. I stopped expessing when she was a month old because I was getting less & less milk & she wanted to be held all the time & moved onto formula full time. I didn't stop getting upset about it for months.

This time I'm going to explicitly tell my midwife & state in my birthing plan that I want to see the lc at the hospital before I go home. But I'm panicking that if it doesn't work I'll feel even worse this time round as I won't be having any more children & it's going to be my last chance.

xx

12. Pixxie

Pixxie Mum to 1 little girl

Its worth a shot because like you said this baby might take really well. Although if you just give baby the colostrum and then switch to expressing then they are still getting all the goodness of breast milk :thumbup: xx

13. Farie

Farie Well-Known Member

I would always say try, we had a awful experience, poor latch, low supply, lazy sucking, thrush, vasospasm and finally LO was allergic to my milk

I exclusively BF for 8 weeks, and I would do it again in a heartbeat - although this time my expectations would be lower, just getting to 8 weeks would be my main goal.

Who know, number 2 might be a BFing pro!

14. XJessicaX

XJessicaX mum to two girls!

I would feed the colostrum for a few days which really is essential...and then maybe try to breast feed a few times. Dont feel disheartened if you cannot continue though.

15. anna matronic

anna matronic Mummy to Evan :-)

I would because every birth and every baby is different.

16. oliviarose

oliviarose Well-Known Member

I would say to every lady to try it.

I had issues with my daughter, I only fed her for 2 days and then gave up, she struggled to latch on. Was screaming out of hunger. So I gave in and bottle fed. I wished I would of tried to stick it out for longer, but I was alot younger then.

With Harrison, I was determind to bf him. I has so many issues at the start. Was sore, struggled to latch, feeding 24/7. I ended up expressing for a few days. But I went back to it and he was like a pro. I didn't look back. Until now, at 6.5 months he decided he wasn't interested in it anymore. He will only feed from me if he is tired and during the night.

I am disappointed as I wanted to do 12 months, but he got the first 6 months of it and still has the odd feed now.

17. beccybobeccy

beccybobeccy Well-Known Member

I've got the same concern as you OP but I'm definitely going to try it again. I think even though BFing didn't work out with Sofia, I know in my heart that I tried my hardest to give her the best I could by BFing. I know I gave her the good stuff for as long as I could (6 weeks) I think if I hadn't have done that I would have regretted it and felt even more guilty about it. (but thats just me)

I think I expected BFing to be instant and easy and it wasn't. I will lower my expectations next time and not put so much pressure on myself. I will still try my best but if it doesn't work out. Then Formula is a fine 2nd place.

Your decision will be the right one for you which ever route you decide.

18. emzky90

emzky90 Well-Known Member

Hiya, I had bf issues as she wouldnt latch properley. When she did she fed well but she always struggled to get back on again. There are people that exclusivly express and I did thisfor 2month but it really isn't easier that BF or FF. To keep your supply up you need to pump every 3 hours for 15-20 mins a time and in the early hour of the morning. Pumps are only good to use if you're leaving her with someone whilst you go out etc. I miss bf sometimes but my lo is thriving on formula and is developing brilliantly. If I have another I will def give BF a go. I'd still be doing it now if LO latched properly. Exclusivley pumping is exhausting and would be do-able if you had everyone else to do stuff for you, eg cook, clean, wash and sterilise bottles. I found if I wasn't pumping then I was giving her the express or washin her bottles which is tiring as your doing that one extra thing (expressing) if you do give it a go tho i'd say to get a double pump. I had a Medela electric one and it's not easy doing one. You'd be sat for an hour at a time. I also had to take my pump everywhere! Next time I wont beat myself up about it an if the next bub doesnt take to it after a few week il just offer formula xx

19. freckleonear

freckleonear Crunchy mummy

I would recommend trying again. My son was a nightmare to latch and I ended up feeding him from one breast only as he just couldn't latch on the other. My daughter was much easier and fed like a pro right from the very first feed. See how it goes and if you have problems again which can't be solved then you can just switch to exclusively expressing.

20. try2breathe

try2breathe Well-Known Member

I exclusively expressed for over 5 months because my lo refused to latch. It is really hard work but doable. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. My lo is 6 months now and I've just recently switched to formula. I'm glad that I pumped and gave her bm, but I have to admit that I feel such a weight off of my shoulders now that I'm formula feeding. It's been a good switch for us. If I have another child, I think I'll try to breastfeed, but if it doesn't work out, I don't think I'll exclusively express again because it is so time consuming and would be very difficult to do while taking care of two babies.