Would you bring up your children abroad?

Cat

Reaction score
You may have seen on todays news how out of a survey of 40 odd countries Britian has come bottom in terms of how happy our children are. This is based on education, family and relationships, poverty and liklyhood drug taking, drinking and teen pregnancies etc.

Questions can be raised as to why this is, from increasing numbers of single parent families, cost of living forcing both parents to work etc.

Its something that has made me think again about where Iwant my children to be raised. I have often thought that once I have completed my degree, OH and I have excellent chances of being able to emmigrate. As both of us will have degrees and experience on key industries, as well as a lot of capital etc. Plus our money would go a lot longer in other countries in terms of buying property and we could comfortably own more than one property, and this would provide us with our pension. In particular I would look at Canada or Australia.

I feel that I would rather bring my kids up in a place like this, than in the UK, as I feel generally that I do not like attitudes and lifestyle in this country and feel that I could offer my children more.

Would you given the choice bring your children up in the country or elsewhere?

i personally wouldnt like to bring my kids up anywhere else than in Scotland, its where im from its where all my generations are from and its all i know if that makes sence. I have never been abroad and i dont think i ever will i like where i am now and dont think i would change that :D

I would like to. I lived half my childhood in Germany and loved it. The only thing that concerns me is that we would be far away from family and friends so at the moment that is stopping me.

Sometimes I think of it but worry that generally it's seen a a bit of a quick fix.

You take your personal problems with you and the grass isn't always greener etc.

I think we'll stay here and take our chances, I didn't grow up in a great area and did OK. :D I was lucky enough to have two great parents although I know there are many things that send people 'the wrong way'.

you would have to way up the pro and cons of it all

would u be able to leave you family and not see them from one year to the next how easy would it be to do ?????

I think if you were going to go anywhere then it would have to be English speaking. At least you'd all have a head-start on fitting in.

That said, no way could I move away from my parents. It was hard enough moving in with OH cos I'm now 3/4 of an hour away :oops: I am a grown up... honestly :oops:

its one of them really isn't it, me and matty do want to emigrate like austrila, but like tif said you have to way your pros and cons up, i would miss my family to much

Myself and Gavin are looking to emmergrate in the next 18mths 2 years, we have had this discussion in depth.

my mum, gran and other members of my family are already emergrated/emergrating and we have decided this is our best option.

We are looking at canada or france, im going to do a TEFAL (Teach English As A Forgein Laungage) so i will be excepted anywhere ... Gav already has that option.

Other places seem to have so much more to offer and to be honest this place gets worse!!!!

we would like to give the wee one some time with grandparents and then are thinking of australia. we are both in stockbroking and can get great points with this for australia, his aunt is there already too which helps...we are staying in what used to be an ok part of town and have had a murder and an attempted murder in one weekend, its getting out of hand and not what we want for the kiddies at all...i think its easier for us as we have no family close by that we see from week to week or month to month sometimes too...with communications the way they are we wouldnt be much worse off...i talk to my mum everyda on the phone as it is because i cant see her...bxox

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->